2 monitors side by side for a specific use?

Rob.S
Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Just buy the second monitor and connect it. Then set it as primary and the 4K one as secondary. All full-screen programs such as games will run in the new monitor and any windowed program you will be able to drag to either one. Most programs like Web browsers will/should open a fullscreen mode in the screen the windowed mode was located. That's how you can switch between fullscreen/windowed in, say, Netflix without the program hopping from screen to screen.  

Edit:

- For 144Hz, you'll need Dual-Link DVI-D or Displayport cables and connectors

- You shouldn't, but if your monitors support it, I guess you can daisychain using DP. I'm not 100% sure 144Hz monitor will work right while being daisychained with a 60Hz monitor...

- Oh... In that case, disable the screen you're not using (and automatically make the other primary) by pressing Win+P

- Cool. It's a great display.

Hi,

I have a 4K 60hz IPS 27" which I bought with my PC, and the return days have passed. It looks great, but is way too slow and big for CSGO. Is there a type of monitor setup I can do where the 4K one is on the left, for everything else, and a new 1080p 144hz 24" one on the right only for CSGO? So when I want ot play CSGO, I can just switch to the right one.

• What sort of cables will I need?
  • What sort of connections? Daisychaining or other?
  • I don't want to stretch my normal Windows 10 across botch, just use the other one when I decide to play csgo.
  • Monitor: Asus VG248QE, TN, 144Hz, 1ms

Hope I can get some help!

-Rob

Just buy the second monitor and connect it. Then set it as primary and the 4K one as secondary. All full-screen programs such as games will run in the new monitor and any windowed program you will be able to drag to either one. Most programs like Web browsers will/should open a fullscreen mode in the screen the windowed mode was located. That's how you can switch between fullscreen/windowed in, say, Netflix without the program hopping from screen to screen.  

Edit:

- For 144Hz, you'll need Dual-Link DVI-D or Displayport cables and connectors

- You shouldn't, but if your monitors support it, I guess you can daisychain using DP. I'm not 100% sure 144Hz monitor will work right while being daisychained with a 60Hz monitor...

- Oh... In that case, disable the screen you're not using (and automatically make the other primary) by pressing Win+P

- Cool. It's a great display.

1. Probably none, depends on what connections you have available and with with which cables the monitor comes.

2. Same as point 1

3. Not sure what you mean? If you mean that you don't want the game stretched over both monitors but have the game fullscreen on one monitor and nothing on the other, perfectly possible. It's actually easier because it requires less configuration.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

1. Probably none, depends on what connections you have available and with with which cables the monitor comes.

2. Same as point 1

3. Not sure what you mean? If you mean that you don't want the game stretched over both monitors but have the game fullscreen on one monitor and nothing on the other, perfectly possible. It's actually easier because it requires less configuration.

exactly what I meant :) 

13 hours ago, Rob.S said:

Hi,

I have a 4K 60hz IPS 27" which I bought with my PC, and the return days have passed. It looks great, but is way too slow and big for CSGO. Is there a type of monitor setup I can do where the 4K one is on the left, for everything else, and a new 1080p 144hz 24" one on the right only for CSGO? So when I want ot play CSGO, I can just switch to the right one.

• I don't want to stretch my normal Windows 10 across botch, just use the other one when I decide to play csgo.

Hope I can get some help!

-Rob

If you are using AMD card read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2003616/eyefinity-setup-guide.html

There might be some resolution issues for eyfinity.

14 minutes ago, Rob.S said:

you'll need the cable that will connect between your monitor and the empty port on your gpu `-`

just plug it right into an empty slot on the gpu

you can set the 144hz screen ad secondary and make your game run on it(?) i never tested as i always game on my main display

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately