Fast and quiet HDD?

AIJ
Go to solution Solved by RedWulf,

Purple will work buts its not their purpose. Blue are general use, black are luxury and some claim red are the quietest of the rainbow. Barracudas are popular but controversial. If you want silent get an ssd, just big enough for OS and game data since they have no noise. 

Hey,

So I am looking to build a silent gaming build on a budget.

Although, I want it to be as quiet as possible.

I want to have a HDD, but I'm pretty scared WD Blue or SG Barracuda will be quite loud, so I want silent drives that will run fast enough for gaming.

Will WD Purple be okay for gaming? Also please don't say wd green, I'm unable to buy one because the canadian stores are fucked up.

########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
#######################

you have been visited by ascii stephen harper the pc builder

nothing bad will happen to you unless if you post "ignfdofsginedsoignoifdn" in this thread

why? because you'll be banned for spam

lol

purple is for security systems...consumer PCs....

wd green has been discontinued, it is now WD blue

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

purple is for security systems...consumer PCs....

wd green has been discontinued, it is now WD blue

aight, but do you have any HDD reccomendations for me?

########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
#######################

you have been visited by ascii stephen harper the pc builder

nothing bad will happen to you unless if you post "ignfdofsginedsoignoifdn" in this thread

why? because you'll be banned for spam

lol

Purple will work buts its not their purpose. Blue are general use, black are luxury and some claim red are the quietest of the rainbow. Barracudas are popular but controversial. If you want silent get an ssd, just big enough for OS and game data since they have no noise. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

4 minutes ago, AIJ said:

Hey,

So I am looking to build a silent gaming build on a budget.

Although, I want it to be as quiet as possible.

I want to have a HDD, but I'm pretty scared WD Blue or SG Barracuda will be quite loud, so I want silent drives that will run fast enough for gaming.

Will WD Purple be okay for gaming? Also please don't say wd green, I'm unable to buy one because the canadian stores are fucked up.

why dony you just buy a ssd and then an external harddisk to have your documens, that way it will stay safe when unpluget plus you will have something was faster than a hhd?

It is called an SSD.....nah just kidding.

Despite not being the newest collection of HDDs, I still think this is somewhat helpful.

SPCR Quiet HDDS

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

1 minute ago, AIJ said:

aight, but do you have any HDD reccomendations for me?

WD Blue for sure, fast, reliable and very popular with PC gamers. The black ones advertise being faster but you won't notice it, at all.

I've never heard anyone complain about the the noise of it, as well as with most modern popular HDDS.

DO NOT get the purple, that's for surveillance. 

11 hours ago, AIJ said:

~snip~

Hey AIJ :)

Just a note on the WD Purple: this is a surveillance-class HDD and I wouldn't recommend using it in a regular desktop. These drives have altered firmware and they work differently from regular HDDs. Surveillance drives have prioritized sequential writing and special caching algorithms which may corrupt data in certain situations in regular usage in desktops. Their random read/write speeds are lower than regular drives (due to the prioritized and higher sequential ones) and you may be putting your data in danger. 

I would go for the lower rpm version of WD Blue as it works pretty quiet. Another thing you may consider is WD AV, which is designed for extremely quiet performance and streaming but should work fine for gaming too.

Have in mind that games don't really rely on the storage's performance for anything else but the loading times and you won't see differences in FPS or graphics if you get faster or slower storage. :)

Cheers!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/