Are brown switches an option for only typing?

trzasku

I am looking for a full size keyboard that will fit into a desk setup like this. I will be using this keyboard only for writing (notes, pdfs, chat, web) not for gaming (mayby in one year World of Warcraft or new titles).

I tried the Blue switches on my friends Razer BlackWidow Chroma and they are awesome for writing. I could not find a shop in my city where I could test the brown switches and that is why I ask you if someone is regularly typing on them.

The problem is that the keyboard I find most attractive to this setup (Corsair K70 RGB) does not come with blue switches. Another option is the Corsair Strafe RGB keyboard but they do not sell the blue version in my country for some reason. I could go with the K70 non RGB that has Blue switches but I am afraid that I will miss the RGB features.

Do you think I brown switches will be good for typing or should I go for a worse looking but Blue Stwich keyboard for typing?

Any switch is good for typing as long as YOU find it comfortable to type on. I, for one, love clears (heavy browns) but hate browns/blues while I find reds to be acceptable. 

Plus browns feel very similar to blues.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, trzasku said:

Another option is the Corsair Strafe RGB keyboard but they do not sell the blue version in my country for some reason.

What country are you in? It would make finding a keyboard easier.

everything peripherals (mice, keyboards, headphones to some extent, and so on) is 100% personal preference.

i've used mechanical switches a few times now, and honestly i dont see the point at all, i dont understand why people trade me an entire computer for a beat up cherry semi-mechanical.

i just use my trusty old G110 and probably will go for whatever ends up grabbing my attention once i need a new keyboard.

my G110 is a good 5 years old now, and really the only thing that is starting to nibble me is that individual key RGB is now a thing, and i'm stuck with RB (no G there) for my entire keyboard.

i've also yet to find out that thing people talk about with rubberdomes not being reliable, i HAMMER my keyboard when typing, and i've never had a rubberdome cut out on me. maybe its because people clog them up with dorito crumbs and blame the manufacturer, maybe i'm "once again just lucky" like every time a new nvidia driver launches and eats people's GPU.

57 minutes ago, akskl said:

What country are you in? It would make finding a keyboard easier.

Poland.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

everything peripherals (mice, keyboards, headphones to some extent, and so on) is 100% personal preference.

i've used mechanical switches a few times now, and honestly i dont see the point at all, i dont understand why people trade me an entire computer for a beat up cherry semi-mechanical.

i just use my trusty old G110 and probably will go for whatever ends up grabbing my attention once i need a new keyboard.

my G110 is a good 5 years old now, and really the only thing that is starting to nibble me is that individual key RGB is now a thing, and i'm stuck with RB (no G there) for my entire keyboard.

i've also yet to find out that thing people talk about with rubberdomes not being reliable, i HAMMER my keyboard when typing, and i've never had a rubberdome cut out on me. maybe its because people clog them up with dorito crumbs and blame the manufacturer, maybe i'm "once again just lucky" like every time a new nvidia driver launches and eats people's GPU.

I love this. But for real, the feeling of typing is more funny on a mechanical keyboard.

I am looking for something more simple. Nothing that is more complex that the Razer BlackWidow Chroma or Corsair Strafe RGB.

5 hours ago, Verne said:

All Cherry switches were originally designed for typing, not gaming. Its all about finding the perfect switch type for you.

As for recommendations, have you checked out Ducky Shine 5 and Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro yet?

Ducky Shine 5  looks nice and clean, mayby a bit to simple for the set up that I posted before, and they do not sell it here in Poland.  The same goes for the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro.

That means the only way to find out if browns are good for me, is finding someone who have it and test it i guess. Mayby I go for the Razer BlackWidow Chroma in Green if I can not find the Corsair Strafe RGB in Blue.