i5 4570 or Xeon E3 1240v2

Hi! I have a PC with an i5 4570 and a GTX 970 

I'm building a PC for my dad, and I can get a Xeon E3 1240v2 for like $130-140

Problem is, the Xeon doesn't have a GPU, and I can't spend more money for my dad's build.

What do you think, should I swap my B85 mobo and i5 4570 for a super cheap H61 mobo and the Xeon?

3 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

Problem is, the Xeon doesn't have a GPU, and I can't spend more money for my dad's build.

What do you think, should I swap my B85 mobo and i5 4570 for a super cheap H61 mobo and the Xeon?

They're roughly equivalent in performance, so it's up to you whether or not you want the older architecture and possibly less upgradability. But like @Sintezza said, he probably doesn't need an i5 or a Xeon, so you could get a Haswell or Skylake i3 for him.

22 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

i' m not sure if the xeon ivy-bridge will be as fast as the i5-4570 in games.

it might be worth it if you stream gaming or render a lot of videos for example.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

57 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Depending on what he is using it for.

If its just for normal stuff like webrowsing and shit, then dont botter with a Xeon, since you dont need 8 threads for that.

I'm getting it cause it's cheap, it's a used CPU and in my country it's cheaper than a brand new i3.

Since my dad usually upgrades PC in 8-10 years i'm trying to get something decent that will hold up a few years, his current pc is a Pentium 4.

But thank you, i'll see if I can get something cheaper

57 minutes ago, JFischer00 said:

They're roughly equivalent in performance, so it's up to you whether or not you want the older architecture and possibly less upgradability. But like @Sintezza said, he probably doesn't need an i5 or a Xeon, so you could get a Haswell or Skylake i3 for him.

Yeah, you're right with the upgradability thing, I guess it's the same in games and I don't render stuff. Maybe in 2 years I will upgrade to whatever AMD/Intel has to offer, so I'll keep it, it's better to avoid all the hassle to transfer my OS and rebuild everything just for a small performance increase