Ram 8gb :2x4gb or 1x8gb

Hi guys,

i'm a budget and I'm building a 1000 dollarish sky lake gaming pc and I have two questions first should I go with 2x4gb or 1x8gb keep in mind I want to upgrade to 16 gab later on .And the second question I'm running on a 660k cpuand I'm planning to overclock it is a 212 hyper evo/plus enough or should I go with a all in one liquid cooler like the nzxt x41 kracken P.S. Esthetics are very important to me 

Thank you. If you have other suggestions i

1. Get a single 8GB stick. Save and buy another whenever you can. Always try to get the bigger stick, IMO.

2. You shouldn't need to go liquid. Look into going with any Noctua, Phanteks, or CoolerMaster heatsink.

Desktop: ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (SSI-CEB) | Intel i7-5960X (OC@5.0GHz) | Dual EVGA GTX Titan X Hybrid (2x12GB) | G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 (8x16GB@3.4GHz) | Samsung 950 Pro (512GB); WD Black (6x6TB; NAS) | SuperFlower 1600F14HT (1600W; 80+ Titanium)

LD PC-V10 (Black; Reversed; Tempered Glass Mod) | Triple Dell S2716DG (3x1440p@144Hz); Crossover 554K (2160p@60Hz) | LD Phase Change; Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 (x6) | DasKeyboard 4 Ultimate (MX Green Mod; Thick PBT Mod) | Logitech G900; SentrantPC Desk Mat

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x (470Ω); Schiit Gungnir DAC; Schiit Mjolnir 2 AMP (6BZ7 Tubes Only); Audio-Technica AT4040; Behringer XENYX X1204USB Analog Mixer; Yamaha RX-A750 Receiver; Dual Yamaha NS-6490; Dual Yamaha NS-SW300 | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad P70 | Intel Xeon E3-1505Mv5 | Nvidia Quadro M5000M (8GB) | DDR4 ECC (4x16GB@2133MHz) | Samsung 950 Pro (512GB); Samsung 850 Pro (2TB) | 17.3" IPS Non-Touch (2160@60Hz) | Sierrra Wireless EM7455 | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

You said you want to upgrade later on; I would go with the 1x8, as that would be much easier and budget friendly. Sure, dual channel has it's advantages, but for your case upgrade ability is a better option.

Also, as @PawaYuza said, you shouldn't need to liquid cool. You can get some really cool looking heatsinks for a decent price, if aesthetics are your thing.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

get 8 gb of ram and then get another one for 16 gb later.

The 212 evo is ok if you aren't crazy with your overclock or dont mind a bit of noise.

If aesthetics are very important to you I would go for a air cooler IMO they look much more badass then a licquid cooler with massive heat pipes and big imprint in you case a noctua nh-d15 or a BeQuite! dark rock pro 3 are 2 examples.

welcome to the forums :P

remember to quote or mention someone when you reply them so they get a notification

6 minutes ago, VictorSimtion said:

first should I go with 2x4gb or 1x8gb keep in mind I want to upgrade to 16 gab later on

if you're not running anything cpu intensive, single stick will do just fine

one stick of ram will cause your system to run in single channel, thus not having a high bandwidth

though if you add a 2nd ram later it might not be compatible

so i recommend adding 2x4gb, you get dual channel speed and 8gb ram, and you can add 2 more sticks (8gb or 4gb sticks) in the future

but if your board only supports 2 sticks, just go with single 8gb lol

8 minutes ago, VictorSimtion said:

second question I'm running on a 660k cpuand I'm planning to overclock it is a 212 hyper evo/plus enough or should I go with a all in one liquid cooler like the nzxt x41 kracken P.S. Esthetics are very important to me 

the 212 evo will perform well

but for looks and higher performance, get the x41 kraken

personally i would recommend getting a dual rad AIO

because a single rad AIO just isnt worth it, might as well grab a high performance air cooler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

If the mobo has 4 ram slots, I'd go 2x4. That will double your ram bandwidth from running dual channel instead of one, and you can still upgrade later without removing ram.

The 212 cooler is quite decent but you will find yourself wanting more if you really want to push the overclock. Personally I'd only use the 212 up to low 4 GHz range.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 stick or 2 sticks doesnt matter for maximum of 16gb because your mobo will have 4 slots (4x4 =16).

U only need higher capacity ram sticks if u know for sure that u will need 32GB or more in the future.

The other very important factor is price. So if single 8gb stick of ram is cheaper then there is no discussion :)

Just remember that when u upgrade later, u will need to buy the same exact model of the ram so they match perfectly.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

22 minutes ago, PawaYuza said:

1. Get a single 8GB stick. Save and buy another whenever you can. Always try to get the bigger stick, IMO.

2. You shouldn't need to go liquid. Look into going with any Noctua, Phanteks, or CoolerMaster heatsink.

this

but also this

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

so i recommend adding 2x4gb, you get dual channel speed and 8gb ram, and you can add 2 more sticks (8gb or 4gb sticks) in the future

but if your board only supports 2 sticks, just go with single 8gb lol

I don't know which to agree on ;-;

1 stick or 2 sticks doesnt matter for maximum of 16gb because your mobo will have 4 slots (4x4 =16).

not always :/ you're on a tech forums ffs, you should know that not all motherboards are the same and have the same amount of slots

e.g my mobo has 2 slots :P

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

10 minutes ago, Thony said:

u will need to buy the same exact model of the ram so they match perfectly

even so, there's a chance they wont run in dual channel

or even boot at all lol

same brand, same model, same spec, same batch

this will ensure you have the highest chance of them working together, though it is not guaranteed

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8gigs and then 16. You never know what you'll wanna do in the future. This is PC after all. ;-) My photoshop for example eats 8-12gigs regularly with my insane projects.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

3 hours ago, LynxThe1st said:

not always :/ you're on a tech forums ffs, you should know that not all motherboards are the same and have the same amount of slots

e.g my mobo has 2 slots :P

If he was going for ITX build he would say it ;) . ATX boards have 4. I do know that so pls dont judge me without knowing me. Its very rude.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 hours ago, VictorSimtion said:

Hi guys,

i'm a budget and I'm building a 1000 dollarish sky lake gaming pc and I have two questions first should I go with 2x4gb or 1x8gb keep in mind I want to upgrade to 16 gab later on .And the second question I'm running on a 660k cpuand I'm planning to overclock it is a 212 hyper evo/plus enough or should I go with a all in one liquid cooler like the nzxt x41 kracken P.S. Esthetics are very important to me 

Thank you. If you have other suggestions i

The noctua nh d14 is a great heatsink though its a bit big and might intefere with ram. 

Single or Dual channel isnt realy going to matter much for gaming.

Just grab 1x8GB.