What is the best solution for my LED needs?

Hey guys

I think it's best to try and explain what I want to do and then find a solution from there.

I want RGB LEDs in my PC Case (Corsair Obsidian 750D) and some behind my Monitor and desk for ambient lighting. I do want them to be computer controlled and I want to be able control the PC lighting independently from my ambient lighting. Another thing I really want is to be able to switch them on/off or change colors and other presets through keyboard macros.

I've already looked into the NZXT HUE+ and it seems like a decent option but I have some concerns regarding Macro control and I'v heard that even though the LEDs have very good color, they aren't the brightest so they might not work well for my ambient lighting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My build: CPU:  i5-4670K Mobo: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 RAM: Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 STRIX Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D

1 minute ago, tobiderfisch said:

Hey guys

I think it's best to try and explain what I want to do and then find a solution from there.

I want RGB LEDs in my PC Case (Corsair Obsidian 750D) and some behind my Monitor and desk for ambient lighting. I do want them to be computer controlled and I want to be able control the PC lighting independently from my ambient lighting. Another thing I really want is to be able to switch them on/off or change colors and other presets through keyboard macros.

I've already looked into the NZXT HUE+ and it seems like a decent option but I have some concerns regarding Macro control and I'v heard that even though the LEDs have very good color, they aren't the brightest so they might not work well for my ambient lighting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at bitfenix alchemy?

Also, for that purpose I'd recomment getting a simple led strips (which're not designed for pc) and make a mod to power it via molex. You can find dozens of examples of this stuff on the web, like this one 

or you could buy a microcontroller, get soldering hammer, a pack of RGB LEDs on e-bay and engineer the shit out of it 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

or you could buy a microcontroller, get soldering hammer, a pack of RGB LEDs on e-bay and engineer the shit out of it 

get a microcontroller, use a pwm fan hub to send pwm signal to set different colours? :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

get a microcontroller, use a pwm fan hub to send pwm signal to set different colours? :P

I don't see a reason for pwn controller, it can be done in software

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

11 minutes ago, tobiderfisch said:

Hey guys

8 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Have you looked at bitfenix alchemy?

Also, for that purpose I'd recomment getting a simple led strips (which're not designed for pc) and make a mod to power it via molex. You can find dozens of examples of this stuff on the web, like this one 

I'd go with a big spool of LED's like @paprikman has shown. It's a lot cheaper than the custom PC-length ones. And for the amount of stuff you want to light, you'll have plenty of leftovers for other projects. I think powering the LED's for the PC via molex will be best, and then you can get simple AC adapters for your ambient lighting (so then it's independent of the PC power). You may want to consider the little remotes you can get as far as controlling them. I have one for my white LED's and it's great. This is the one I have, but it won't work for color changing, just to give you an idea: http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Controller-Wireless-Control-Dimmable/dp/B00MHKCTLE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I'd go with the NZXT Hue+ for the case. If you wanted a cheaper option for the desk (minus the computer control) go with the Ikea DIODER series LED strips. I use them myself, and they're cheap.