Upgrading Hardware, Wondering the power requirements.

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
1 hour ago, Parkersykes782 said:

Hello

I am planning on switching from AMD back to Intel. This means I'll have to change my FX8350 and motherboard, out to a 4790k and a Z97 board. 

I will be overclocking but not over-volting. 

I assume  the 4790k uses less power due to a lower TDP, but I just wanted to check to see if a 4790k and an MSI 980TI 6G Gaming Graphics Card will fit within my 750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU's ceiling?

Also,  if i went SLI on my 980TI's with the 4790k, what power supply is needed for that? 

Again,  i will not be increasing the voltage on any of my components. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Two 980tis in SLI and a 4790k, all with no overclocking, hit 550W under load. As long as you don't go too hard on overclocking you should be fine but I'd generally recommend someone an 850W if they were just putting this all together for the first time. You should be fine though.

Hello

I am planning on switching from AMD back to Intel. This means I'll have to change my FX8350 and motherboard, out to a 4790k and a Z97 board. 

I assume  the 4790k uses less power due to a lower TDP, but I just wanted to check to see if a 4790k and an MSI 980TI 6G Gaming Graphics Card will fit within my 750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU's ceiling?

Also,  if i went SLI on my 980TI's with the 4790k, what power supply is needed for that? 

850 for SLI 750 fine for 4790K and 1 980ti

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, Parkersykes782 said:

the 4790k uses less power due to a lower TDP, but I just wanted to check to see if a 4790k and an MSI 980TI 6G Gaming Graphics Card will fit within my 750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU's ceiling?

3 minutes ago, Parkersykes782 said:

if i went SLI on my 980TI's with the 4790k, what power supply is needed for that? 

yes, 750W is enough for your rig, its even enough for SLI 980Ti

assuming your power supply is of top notch quality of course

what model and brand is it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

That PSU is more than adequate. But for SLI, you'd need bare minimum, a quality 850W unit. Preferably 1000W.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

5 minutes ago, Parkersykes782 said:

Hello

If your going to be ocing, it still should be fine assuming that´s a quality psu.

I usually go for estimated power consumption and add another +150W~+200W

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I found a cheap PSU by Ultra and already posted the URL, but deleted it due to rules. May I send them the link? I apologize for not reading the rules.

1 hour ago, Parkersykes782 said:

Hello

Two 980tis in SLI and a 4790k, all with no overclocking, hit 550W under load. As long as you don't go too hard on overclocking you should be fine but I'd generally recommend someone an 850W if they were just putting this all together for the first time. You should be fine though.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||