Internet goes from 30MBPS to 0.25 when i launch a game... wtf?

MxZeal
Go to solution Solved by MxZeal,
13 hours ago, Enderman said:

are you plugged directly into your modem with no other routers in between?

do you have any other PCs or phones to check that it happens to all devices?

Im wifi there is no way for me to plug wireless unless i spend an hour moving everything 

i just bought these from amazon this week and im using them

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-RT-AC66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750-Gigabit/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459994718&sr=8-1&keywords=rt-ac66u

however i found i was using 5ghz wireless when i switched to 2.4 it got better but still not ideal

just did a speed test on my mobile i was getting 20mbps on it.

im now 10mbps on my PC when i switched to 2.4ghz still seems off but getting closer thanks

i think there was some interference with my NIC because my headset started picking up weird audio i restarted the PC and seems a little better..

do you think i should return the NIC?

PROBLEM DEFINITELY WAS THE 5GHZ NETWORK

ty for all comments.

by launch i mean when i connect to server

Tested with : BDO, LoL. CSGO, PoE.

I don't get it... i don't have QOS mode set and im stalking my traffic manager and its perfectly fine until i launch a game then it shoots down to 0.25 mbps cap (tested with speed test)

just got new internet (new house) and if im not running a game everything is 100% perfect.

any ideas?

Do you mean your network traffic goes from 30Mbps to 0.25Mbps or are you running a speed test before and after launching a game?

If you have the same network equipment as before and the only thing that's changed is your ISP then contact your ISP and see if they're throttling anything on their end. If you have a new modem/router from your new ISP see if they have any QoS enabled on it by default (call them up to confirm it's not hard coded or anything).

Are you using WIFI? If so, try switching to wired to see if there's any change.

Lastly, try connecting to a VPN and see if the problem continues (even a free VPN like TunnelBear should be enough to test with).

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Do you mean your network traffic goes from 30Mbps to 0.25Mbps or are you running a speed test before and after launching a game?

Before i launch a game i speed test and have 30mbps

when i launch a game and connect to server with the game still open i run another speed test and get 0.25

check your internet usage in task manager when you have your game open

is 29.75Mbps being used?

If not then there is some issue with your modem/router or ISP

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, KuJoe said:
6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

check your internet usage in task manager when you have your game open

is 29.75Mbps being used?

If not then there is some issue with your modem/router or ISP

no, like i said ive been watching it and my it saids im using less than 0.2 which is why i said the CAP is 0.25

can't call until tomorrow though...

+1 to what @Enderman said, if you're not using ~29Mbps then you're being throttled. Switch to wired network if you're not already to eliminate a problem with the wireless (I have a similar problem with one of my USB WIFI adapters where the bandwidth drops below 1Mbps when I use a lot of UDP which is primarily what games use). Try playing the game over a VPN and see if that fixes it, if it does then your router/modem/ISP are throttling you. If you're lucky enough to have a router/modem that can be used as a VPN client then you can even narrow down where you're being throttled if that's the case.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, MxZeal said:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Im wifi there is no way for me to plug ethernet unless i spend an hour moving everything 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-RT-AC66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750-Gigabit/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459994718&sr=8-1&keywords=rt-ac66u

however i found i was using 5ghz wireless when i switched to 2 it got better but still not ideal

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

Im wifi there is no way for me to plug wireless unless i spend an hour moving everything 

however i found i was using 5ghz wireless when i switched to 2.4 it got better but still not ideal

im now 10mbps on my PC when i switched to 2.4ghz still seems off but getting closer thanks

i think there was some interference with my NIC because my headset started picking up weird audio i restarted the PC and seems a little better..

PROBLEM DEFINITELY WAS THE 5GHZ NETWORK

ty for all comments.

3 minutes ago, MxZeal said:

however i found i was using 5ghz wireless when i switched to 2 it got better but still not ideal

idk, i would recommend using an ethernet cable instead of dealing with crap wifi

Spoiler

Before you invest any more money I would find a way to move your computer or find a really long ethernet cable and plug your PC into your router/modem directly, if the problem is fixed then it's definitely your WIFI and then you can start replacing your wireless hardware.

-KuJoe

Until you fix your wifi problem, go buy a long ethernet cable, it's quite cheap and if you really hate long cables, get a Powerline Ethernet.

10 hours ago, Lynx said:

Until you fix your wifi problem, go buy a long ethernet cable, it's quite cheap and if you really hate long cables, get a Powerline Ethernet.

Yes people love long cable runs going on the floor.

11 hours ago, Enderman said:

idk, i would recommend using an ethernet cable instead of dealing with crap wifi

The AC66U is pretty alright.

Guys sometimes wired simply isn't an option, and powerline is more hit or miss than WiFi is. Try to actually help instead of just going "hurrr durr use a cable" instead of actually trying to help. Using ethernet is a good step in troubleshooting this, but should not be your immediate go-to remedy.

OP don't invest in a powerline adapter, try to temporarily use ethernet to see whether or not your wireless hardware is the issue. If it is, then replace it or try powerline adapter. But don't do that before you exhaust all basic troubleshooting steps.

31 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Guys sometimes wired simply isn't an option, and powerline is more hit or miss than WiFi is. Try to actually help instead of just going "hurrr durr use a cable" instead of actually trying to help. Using ethernet is a good step in troubleshooting this, but should not be your immediate go-to remedy.

OP don't invest in a powerline adapter, try to temporarily use ethernet to see whether or not your wireless hardware is the issue. If it is, then replace it or try powerline adapter. But don't do that before you exhaust all basic troubleshooting steps.

ethernet cable is always an option

just depends how difficult of an option it is

and I did try to help, using an ethernet cable was another suggestion which is better than using wifi

are we not allowed to suggest stuff anymore on this forum or something?

if someone comes asking about where to buy a 9590 are you just going to answer the question without offering better options such as buying an i5/i7?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No but try to actually troubleshoot instead of going with the "fuck wifi go ethernet." It isn't always an option for people. It can be a good troubleshooting step, but not everybody can have it as a permanent step. Odds are if somebody had to resort to wireless for the desktop in the first place, ethernet is a difficult alternative. And wireless is actually pretty damn good and stable, as long as you do as mall amount of proper planning. It's usually stable and good without planning anyways.

If somebody already has the 9590 and is looking for a board to go with it, saying i5 / i7 is pretty damn useless.

6 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

No but try to actually troubleshoot instead of going with the "fuck wifi go ethernet." It isn't always an option for people. It can be a good troubleshooting step, but not everybody can have it as a permanent step. Odds are if somebody had to resort to wireless for the desktop in the first place, ethernet is a difficult alternative. And wireless is actually pretty damn good and stable, as long as you do as mall amount of proper planning. It's usually stable and good without planning anyways.

If somebody already has the 9590 and is looking for a board to go with it, saying i5 / i7 is pretty damn useless.

wow you must have trouble reading or something if you just skipped over my first two posts and went to the end...

also the fact that I said "someone looking to buy a 9590" not "someone who owns a 9590"

seriously, take the time to read other people's shit or dont reply at all

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

wow you must have trouble reading or something if you just skipped over my first two posts and went to the end...

also the fact that I said "someone looking to buy a 9590" not "someone who owns a 9590"

seriously, take the time to read other people's shit or dont reply at all

Oh I did, but I don't think your comparison is as accurate as somebody who literally already has something and you're recommending something else.

I read what people say. No need to get aggressive. 

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Oh I did, but I don't think your comparison isn't as accurate as somebody who literally already has something and you're recommending something else.

I read what people say. No need to get aggressive. 

he already solved his own problem which is why I mentioned an ethernet cable

i helped him troubleshoot before mentioning anything about ethernet cables

i did not reply to this post with only "get an ethernet cable"

if you have a problem with something I post then click the report button and don't reply with

Try to actually help instead of just going "hurrr durr use a cable" instead of actually trying to help. 

Spoiler