How exactly does something like Psiphon get around a blocked website?

Go to solution Solved by KuJoe,

A VPN and Proxy are essentially the same thing. There are different VPN and proxy protocols but they all work the same way, your packets go through a remote device before reaching their destination. I don't think a lot of people know what the literal definition of the word proxy is which is unfortunate because the best way to describe a proxy application is to call it a proxy. :D

1:  the agency, function, or office of a deputy who acts as a substitute for another

A proxy device (i.e. server) is acting as a substitute for your computer so it is browsing the website for you and just relaying what it sees to your browser. A VPN will encrypt the packets from your computer and mirror them on a VPN device (i.e. server) and whatever response it gets it mirrors back to your computer.

I use Psiphon(a proxy) to get around my school's filters. In networking terms ( I am interested in a detailed explanation of whats happening), what exactly is going on that allows me to access whatever on the network? I understand it changes my public IP address, but I dont think that would really matter it terms of blocked websites as they aren't blocking the user IP's.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

I use Psiphon(a proxy) to get around my school's filters. In networking terms ( I am interested in a detailed explanation of whats happening), what exactly is going on that allows me to access whatever on the network? I understand it changes my public IP address, but I dont think that would really matter it terms of blocked websites as they aren't blocking the user IP's.

VPN like this 

idk if proxy works the same but probably the same idea 

4 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

VPN like this 

idk if proxy works the same but probably the same idea 

I think they are too different. A proxy merely uses a intermediary server to make it look like its not you accessing the info (but how does this still get past the schools filter?) while a VPN is a private network that also encrypts all data passing through it.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I think it's like this. Normally, the school prevents users from directly accessing sites. User--Filter--Site. A proxy makes it so that your traffic goes to a different location first so you're not going directly to a site. User--Filter--Proxy--Site. The filter only stops you going to a site but doesn't stop you going to the proxy server which then directs you to the site. 

In this way, you never actually connect to the site but the proxy server which simply displays the site which is also connected to the server. 

well let's say the filter blocking stuff is on server A but you have a proxy and instead of your connection going through server A it starts at server B and thus has no filter it has to go through 

A VPN and Proxy are essentially the same thing. There are different VPN and proxy protocols but they all work the same way, your packets go through a remote device before reaching their destination. I don't think a lot of people know what the literal definition of the word proxy is which is unfortunate because the best way to describe a proxy application is to call it a proxy. :D

1:  the agency, function, or office of a deputy who acts as a substitute for another

A proxy device (i.e. server) is acting as a substitute for your computer so it is browsing the website for you and just relaying what it sees to your browser. A VPN will encrypt the packets from your computer and mirror them on a VPN device (i.e. server) and whatever response it gets it mirrors back to your computer.

-KuJoe