Why are there so many models of the GTX 980Ti from a single manufacturer - EVGA?

I'm planning to buy a GTX 980 ti card from EVGA. This was after hearing a lot of good reviews about EVGA but I just checked their website and there were a ton of options. How do I choose one? I did like the backplate versions but just tell me the difference between them and how should I pick one.
Do all their 980 TIs have RGB lighting?

the higher in price you go the higher clock speed, better cooling performance, and lower sound.

idk about RGB

Clock speed, silence, cooling methods (Hybrid).... Every aftermarket 980 ti manufacturer has more 980 ti's varying in clock speeds, cooling etc. The stronger you go the higher the price, although the performance difference won't be THAT much different

4 minutes ago, Gadhoke said:

I'm planning to buy a GTX 980 ti card from EVGA. This was after hearing a lot of good reviews about EVGA but I just checked their website and there were a ton of options. How do I choose one? I did like the backplate versions but just tell me the difference between them and how should I pick one.

you'd have to look at specifics on them, but for a rough idea

King pin - meant to be overclocked all to hell.

FTW - higher overclock and best cooler

SSC - super silent cooling (most likely with minor overclock)

SC - silent cooling (most likely stock)

and then the rest are probably hybrid coolers or reference.

and no, not all of them have RGB lighting, it's probably only a few.

(I'm looking at a 980ti from them too, and I honestly think the FTW edition with a backplate is the best one for me, so that's what I would recommend.)

2 minutes ago, jett473 said:
10 minutes ago, Gadhoke said:

(I'm looking at a 980ti from them too, and I honestly think the FTW edition with a backplate is the best one for me, so that's what I would recommend.)

Thanks. So what would be the default lighting on the back?
Also, this is my first time buying a high end graphics card so what's the cooling like? I mean is the stock fan of a cooler just stupid to have and isn't suited for overclocking? Is its performance comparable to the stock fan of an intel CPU?

6 minutes ago, jett473 said:

25 minutes ago, Gadhoke said:

im assuming you just were just describing the cards but this is what they actually stand for

King Pin- King Pin is the nickname of the overclocker who is amazing basically the card is binned or specifically selected and guaranteed to over clock high because their ASIC quality is higher

FTW- for the win highly overclocked and usually come with a backplate

SSC- super super clocked less overclocked than ftw usually comes with a backplate

SC- superclocked the least overclocked card out of the evga lineup still an overclocked card

most modern evga cards have the acx 2.0 cooler, stock cooler, or hybrid cooler (for the 970, 980, 980ti, and titan x)

evga doesnt have rgb lighting on any of their cards but gigabyte does http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5710#kf

evga is a good brand so if you want a good overclockable card from a reputable brand id suggest them

gigabyte asus and msi are also other good brands you should consider

12 minutes ago, Gadhoke said:

Also, this is my first time buying a high end graphics card so what's the cooling like? I mean is the stock fan of a cooler just stupid to have and isn't suited for overclocking? Is its performance comparable to the stock fan of an intel CPU?

the stock cooler on graphics cards are ok on nvidia no hate to amd but their stock cooler is worse

nvidia stock cooler allows gpu boost to automatically overclock the card but temperatures get to 80-85 degrees celsius

1 minute ago, alexc026 said:

the stock cooler on graphics cards are ok on nvidia no hate to amd but their stock cooler is worse

Is that temp normal/safe?

5 minutes ago, Gadhoke said:

yes maximum temperature on nvidia cards before thermal throttling (the card turns down its clockspeed so it doesnt fry itself) occurs at 92 celsius

Edit: 92 celcius applies only to the 980ti

5 hours ago, Gadhoke said:

they are safe, but if you intend to do overclocking you'd want to go with a better cooler. Also, the better the product you buy not only means the higher the clock will be when you get it, but the higher you can overclock it yourself. 

7 hours ago, jett473 said:

You forgot the classified, it's inbetween the ftw and kingpin :P  and the Kingpin has a better cooler than the FTW card :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

9 hours ago, jett473 said:

Did you make those up as you went along? xD

Hydro Copper -- Custom Water cooling ready (comes with a GPU waterblock on it form the factory)

Hybrid -- Both liquid cooled, and air cooled (All-in-One cooler with heatsink and fan)

K|NGP|N -- Named after one of the well known overclockers. These cards are highly binned, so they have the potential to overclock to insane speeds, especially with exotic cooling (i.e. liquid nitrogen)

Classified -- A step down from the K|NGP|N edition, but still have the more powerful power delivery system, etc, for extreme air, water cooling, or exotic cooling

FTW -- For The Win. Highly overclocked from the EVGA factory. Geared towards high-end or extreme air cooling

SSC (or SC+) -- Super Super Clocked. Relatively mild factory overclock from the EVGA factory

SC -- Super Clocked. Minor overclock straight from the EVGA factory

"Regular" -- Stock settings according to NVidia reference specifications.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

10 hours ago, Lays said:

You forgot the classified, it's inbetween the ftw and kingpin :P  and the Kingpin has a better cooler than the FTW card :P

whoops, my bad. Thanks for the clearification!

18 hours ago, Gadhoke said:

you should probably get a custom led lighting kit  for ur gpu as well

9 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Did you make those up as you went along? xD

Hydro Copper -- Custom Water cooling ready (comes with a GPU waterblock on it form the factory)

Hybrid -- Both liquid cooled, and air cooled (All-in-One cooler with heatsink and fan)

K|NGP|N -- Named after one of the well known overclockers. These cards are highly binned, so they have the potential to overclock to insane speeds, especially with exotic cooling (i.e. liquid nitrogen)

Classified -- A step down from the K|NGP|N edition, but still have the more powerful power delivery system, etc, for extreme air, water cooling, or exotic cooling

FTW -- For The Win. Highly overclocked from the EVGA factory. Geared towards high-end or extreme air cooling

SSC (or SC+) -- Super Super Clocked. Relatively mild factory overclock from the EVGA factory

SC -- Super Clocked. Minor overclock straight from the EVGA factory

"Regular" -- Stock settings according to NVidia reference specifications.

hahaha..