SSHD question

GeorgeKellow

a separate HDD+SSD is better

dont get an SSHD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Are they quieter than a hd and and they cheaper than a ssd?

just as loud as a hard drive, but cheaper than an ssd but also much slower

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

just as loud as a hard drive, but cheaper than an ssd but also much slower

I'm going to get another ssd I think :)

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I'm going to get another ssd I think :)

good choice, sshds are usually a 1tb hdd with an 8gb ssd inside 

good choice, sshds are usually a 1tb hdd with an 8gb ssd inside 

I've got an m.2 slot on my board, should I use that or should I get a 'normal' ssd

Just now, RGProductions said:

Okay what do you need, more storage or more fast storage?

Looking for an ultra quiet build (its petty, I know xD) Its almost silent but I can hear my harddrive :(

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

Looking for an ultra quiet build (its petty, I know xD) Its almost silent but I can hear my harddrive :(

I get it, i ditched mechanical storage for silence, i'd recommend a high capacity sata ssd  as they offer reasonable speed, price per gigabyte and are silent.

I get it, i ditched mechanical storage for silence, i'd recommend a high capacity sata ssd  as they offer reasonable speed, price per gigabyte and are silent.

Link me the one you got? 

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

Link me the one you got? 

I don't have a big one, as i have somewhat of a NAS but this is the one i havve and i can't complain  http://www.amazon.com/ADATA-USA-Premier-SP550-ASP550SS3-120GM-C/dp/B013J7PP96/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459889438&sr=1-9&keywords=ssd

m.2 SSDs tend to cost more than 2.5" ones, but if you get the right one they offer higher performance. Personally I can't notice that performance difference outside of a benchmark, so in my opinion just get as big a SSD as you need/can afford. For example, the Sandisk 960GB is typically around £200 although I picked on up in a previous sale for £160. If that's too much in one bite look out for offers on ~240GB drives which also pop up now and then.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

~snip~

Hey :)

My take on this: 
- SSHDs are basically regular HDDs ( usually 5,400rpm) with a small SSD (usually 8GB in capacity) instead of the regular cache chip that caches your HDD. The way it works is the drive itselfs monitors what is mostly used on the computer and caches the operating files of the programs that you use the most for faster loading (such as the Os or a game that you play more frequently). Everything else runs at pretty normal HDD speeds. You, however, have zero access to that SSD and can't really choose what goes there. 

- SSHDs aren't really more quiet compared to regular HDDs as they still have spinning platters and a hovering actuator arm with the read/write head on them. 

- The most quiet option would be SSD due to the lack of any moving parts. However, there are drives that work pretty quiet and the sound of your cooling fans is higher compared to the drive's. One example would be WD AV.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

54 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

[removed]

The link that you've attached to the text seems to be unusable. It takes me to a blank page.

EDIT: No worries now. uBlock is interfering - the link is totally fine.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The link that you've attached to the text seems to be unusable. It takes me to a blank page.

I can see it.

@GeorgeKellow

250GB is a good amount for gaming and regular use.  I would look into a HDD dock (or a cheaper adapter like I have).  That way you only run the hard drive when you need it and turn it off or put it in a drawer when you don't.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I can see it.

Strange. This is what I get when clicking on it.

Spoiler

Capture.JPG

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Strange. This is what I get when clicking on it.

I zoomed out to see the entire page.

PNult4V.png

Just now, stconquest said:

I zoomed out to see the entire page

Reveal hidden contents

PNult4V.png

The link works fine with Microsoft Edge. What revision of Firefox are you using? I'm currently on the latest beta.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The link works fine with Microsoft Edge. What revision of Firefox are you using? I'm currently on the latest beta.

Just now, stconquest said:

I figured it out. uBlock is interfering. Disabled it, clicked on the link, and it worked fine.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I figured it out. uBlock is interfering. Disabled it, clicked on the link, and it worked fine.

AB+ here.

It may be the link shortener. Here is the full link for anyone that seems to have problems: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=170 

PM me if anyone has problems opening it. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

5 hours ago, stconquest said:

I can see it.

@GeorgeKellow

250GB is a good amount for gaming and regular use.  I would look into a HDD dock (or a cheaper adapter like I have).  That way you only run the hard drive when you need it and turn it off or put it in a drawer when you don't.

Could you link me what you have please?