Anyone tried this? hdd noise

xgn

Here is a trick for reducing hdd noise but does it actually works anyone tried ?

You can't just unscrew a HDD and expect it to work again. 

The screws are factory torqued to a set foot LBs and if it's wrong then it will just click and not work.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I would only modify my HDD if it was already not working.

It's possible it will work, but more likely nothing would happen. It's also possible that the drive would break.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I would highly suggest that you not open up a hard drive outside of a clean room. That's a good way to possibly completly ruin the drive.

Also the parts/screws are torqued to highly tuned specs and if you don't have the correct tools/information you can easily render the drive inoperable.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

i used to do that to my iscsi drives. its actually highly effective if you do it in a clean room. 

5 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I would only modify my HDD if it was already not working.

It's possible it will work, but more likely nothing would happen. It's also possible that the drive would break.

Yea thats what im worried about the ones i use is not actually cheap either.

4 minutes ago, canadiansteve2 said:

i used to do that to my iscsi drives. its actually highly effective if you do it in a clean room. 

one bit of dust and u are screwed

but yh if your drive is making noises then yh maby do it, its probably loosend up abit after the years

if you have a full backup, then sure - worth a try

if not then just bring it in for a technician - not worth the risk

also, did you watch the video to the end? like at minute 5 he gives a 3 minute long lecture about why not to do it that is pretty well summarized by my two points above...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

well, i've messed about with an old 40gb HDD 2.5", i had it working fine without the lid etc. and it's really cool, might put a transparent plexi on it someday, just for the view, i wouldn't trust anything that has anything of substance on it as it can fail any moment. newer ones have much finer tolerances too. They're not that "weak" to fail from a spec of dust i wouldn't think, however I'm sure it will fail much sooner due to dust and just all the particles in the air.

They're also panning to make gas filled HDDs, so opening those will likely murder them almost instantly, however current ones as far as i know still use normal air, with a little filter on it and breathing hole.

I feel like this doesn't belong in the audio section and more suited to the storage section.
Nothing against OP or anything but last few months theres been a couple hard drive noises placed into audio section and I don't want to sound like I'm speaking for the hole of the audio forum but I don't think we know much about hard drives compared to the storage forum and I think this this belongs there just so you get better informative replays.

The Dick of the audio page!

1 hour ago, EndlessOyster said:

I feel like this doesn't belong in the audio section and more suited to the storage section.
Nothing against OP or anything but last few months theres been a couple hard drive noises placed into audio section and I don't want to sound like I'm speaking for the hole of the audio forum but I don't think we know much about hard drives compared to the storage forum and I think this this belongs there just so you get better informative replays.

Couldent find that section

Actually , i see it now its called storage forum.