I cant get raid 5 working

lonewolf5460

I have an asrock 970m pro 3 i know it sucks. I have 3 2tb wd drives in raid 0 only way i can get it to format in windows. The motherboard sees the drives in the raid menu set uyp as rasid 5 but windows sees the drives separately and unformated what am i doing wrong any tips? Ill post picks later. Here is the settings that weoirk for raid 0 see anything out of the ordinary?

20160405_013336.jpg

I did thats a screen shot of the the only working raid aray I could make work. When I try raid 5 it shows up as 3 unformatted drives in windows even though in the raid bios it shows up as raid 5 with 4tb functional.

4 hours ago, lonewolf5460 said:

I did thats a screen shot of the the only working raid aray I could make work. When I try raid 5 it shows up as 3 unformatted drives in windows even though in the raid bios it shows up as raid 5 with 4tb functional.

I'm not familiar with that specific mobo, but most raid 5s will have a pretty long initialization process to get them ready. This could take hours or days depending on the size and speed of the does along with the raid controller. Is it still possibly initializing maybe? 

Also just as a heads up on-board raid 5 performance, especially in writes is normally pretty poor just so you are aware. 

On 5.04.2016 г. at 10:59 AM, lonewolf5460 said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

First off, I wouldn't recommend WD Blue for RAID arrays since it doesn't have the necessary features (TLER for example) for safe and stable performance in such environments. I would rather use them separately and configure an ongoing backup application to copy your data over to one of the drives. Also, RAID should never be considered a backup option, just a level of redundancy. 

I'd check if there's a BIOS update and possibly reset yours. Contacting the manufacturer is always a good option. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

14 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

First off, I wouldn't recommend WD Blue for RAID arrays since it doesn't have the necessary features (TLER for example) for safe and stable performance in such environments. I would rather use them separately and configure an ongoing backup application to copy your data over to one of the drives. Also, RAID should never be considered a backup option, just a level of redundancy. 

I'd check if there's a BIOS update and possibly reset yours. Contacting the manufacturer is always a good option. :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks I know Ill just leave them in raid 0. It is really just to store my anime and my steam games so nothing critical that I cant get back.I have an external 500gb and a internal 500gb for critical files so I have them in two places. Now if my r9 380 can get here ill be a happy camper April 12 seems sooo far away.

24 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

~snip~

I'd leave them in a JBOD configuration since if any of the three drives drops out of the RAID for one reason or another you'd lose everything from it and would have to reinstall everything. With JBOD you'd lose only the data on the failed drive. For gaming and media you won't notice any performance differences besides the initial loading times of the games. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

12 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

I'd leave them in a JBOD configuration since if any of the three drives drops out of the RAID for one reason or another you'd lose everything from it and would have to reinstall everything. With JBOD you'd lose only the data on the failed drive. For gaming and media you won't notice any performance differences besides the initial loading times of the games. :)

Captain_WD.

I know your right really I do but Ill take my chances its for anime and steam games and believe it or not I never had a drive die on me, I am 26 and I have been into computers since i was 13 probably been through a 100 at least. The only dead drive I had was my fault I was drunk and snapped off the sata connector... I will think about it I just like the idea of having one place to dump everything instead of searching multiple drives for what I want. I retire my drives every 1.5 to 2 years so the chances are low I dont go the usual 5 years like other people.