Best HTPC OS?

Go to solution Solved by byalexandr,

Never before have I seen such a smooth and easy to install OS. GG Google, ChromeOS rocks. Recognized all of my hardware no problemo, not questions asked.

I am giving my old PC to my little sister, for the sole purpose of it being a Netflix machine with some YouTube mixed in there. That's the entire purpose of it, no Photoshop or Office or anything, just Netflix and YouTube, maybe some general Internet browsing. It's an older PC with an Athlon 7750 and a GT 610, but it will more than suffice I think.

I was thinking of just going with Windows 10 since there is the Netflix app, but I was also thinking of Android, although I don't even know if you can install that on a regular PC and how it would work with a keyboard and mouse and stuff. The OS just needs to be:

-Light (as in easy and seamless to install and run)

-Easy to use and read from afar (more easy to use than anything)

-Friendly to navigate and look at

Any thoughts? I'll be reading as I put the PC together so if you have an idea let me know :)

You could use Chrome OS. Not really sure how easy it is to install but it is pretty light and can run android apps.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

Remix OS 2.0 is Android for PC (just fyi)

There's also XBMC/Kodi (I think? I don't have any experience with HTPC OSs).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

MS-DOS

I guess with the right settings (eg, control panel locked down etc.) Windows 10 could be very easy to use without critical problems occuring.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Just now, Trey222 said:

You could use Chrome OS. Not really sure how easy it is to install but it is pretty light and can run android apps.

Like the thing on a Chromebook? Does it have Netflix and stuff? And where would I get an .ISO or something?

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Remix OS 2.0 is Android for PC (just fyi)

Huh, never heard of it.

8 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

MS-DOS

I guess with the right settings (eg, control panel locked down etc.) Windows 10 could be very easy to use without critical problems occuring.

Well I want it to be quick to install and get going and all, I'm not worried about different features and stuff.

Well xbmc is meant for this though the web browsing is crap, chrome is meant for web stuff but I'm not sure how HTPC oriented it is, windows is an option just an older version. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Windows 10 has native touch support and works with like Magic Trackpads, touchscreen, and I'm guessing Steam controllers with the right drivers, although IDK. 

Just google "Best Linux distros for HTPC" and you'll get it.

SteamOS is good if you want gaming and use Steam xD 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Just now, RedWulf said:

Well xbmc is meant for this though the web browsing is crap, chrome is meant for web stuff but I'm not sure how HTPC oriented it is, windows is an option just an older version. 

I'm looking at ChromeOS right now, seems to be the best option, and I'm pretty sure there's a Netflix app right?

On my HTPC I use Windows 10 as the OS with Kodi installed for the UI. It is easier for my less tech savvy parents to use the Kodi interface than the Windows 10, although my mom can use Windows 10 directly if it is in tablet mode (start menu takes up the whole screen and all the apps are right there).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

I'm looking at ChromeOS right now, seems to be the best option, and I'm pretty sure there's a Netflix app right?

There isn't an app, it has Flash and full HTML5 

You won't find a proper Chrome OS ISO, the ones available are out of date. 

AFAIK this works: http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/chromium-os/

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

There isn't an app, it has Flash and full HTML5 

You won't find a proper Chrome OS ISO, the ones available are out of date. 

AFAIK this works: http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/chromium-os/

I'm following this one which has something to do with CloudReady: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/turning-a-crappy-old-windows-pc-into-a-full-fledged-chromebook-with-cloudready/

7 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

The best way to know (usually) is to check the Chrome Webstore.

But yes ChromeOS does have access to a netflix app. If you didn't want to do it with just the website.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/netflix/deceagebecbceejblnlcjooeohmmeldh

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

The best way to know (usually) is to check the Chrome Webstore.

But yes ChromeOS does have access to a netflix app. If you didn't want to do it with just the website.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/netflix/deceagebecbceejblnlcjooeohmmeldh

Well I just did a test and it points it to the website but I'm fine with that.

Just now, Supercian411 said:

im sure i would look after the old pc very well

She is currently using my laptop but I need it for school so I am giving her this PC instead. Sorry xD

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Well I just did a test and it points it to the website but I'm fine with that.

I'm pretty sure it's an official app provided by Netflix.

Just now, wcreek said:

I'm pretty sure it's an official app provided by Netflix.

LMAO I'm installing it using the Recovery Tool and it says 'Unpacking files: 450% Time Remaining -26 seconds' xD

Just now, Droidbot said:

CloudReady is a enterprise setup - it is designed for HP/Dell laptops, not desktops

Well it's an HP desktop, and it says it works on any old PC, doesn't have to be a laptop. Might as well experiment anyways, if anything I can call up my bro at Google and he can help me xD

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

LMAO I'm installing it using the Recovery Tool and it says 'Unpacking files: 450% Time Remaining -26 seconds' xD

I just tried it out in Chrome is looks like it just acts as a bookmark to Netflix. 

Not sure about on ChromeOS... Probably the same deal.

Oh well. I'm guessing you were looking for like an actual app for Netflix like the one in Windows.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I just tried it out in Chrome is looks like it just acts as a bookmark to Netflix. 

Not sure about on ChromeOS... Probably the same deal.

Oh well. I'm guessing you were looking for like an actual app for Netflix like the one in Windows.

Well I'm almost sure it's just fullscreen window or something. Either way it doesn't matter much, she won't care as long as it works.

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Well I'm almost sure it's just fullscreen window or something. Either way it doesn't matter much, she won't care as long as it works.

Eh I'm too lazy to go into the laptop's bios that I'm on right now and re-enable  the visualization stuff to make VirtualBox work again and  then get the .ISO for Chromium OS (since that's the name of the OS that doesn't come pre-installed on chromeboxes, desktops or laptops.) and then install said .ISO into VirtualBox.

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

here is what I would do but this is just me. Go ahead and install Lubuntu (a derivative of ubuntu but for older machines) and call it a day. Then install google chrome on the box. Netflix can be used within google chrome and so can youtube. I have managed to get this OS working on a pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM smoothly so basically any computer within the last 10 years will work. You can download the iso from here:

http://lubuntu.net/

And for anyone wondering, chrome OS would be a good alternative too BUT it would not be my first choice. This is because while chrome OS looks much better than Lubuntu ever would, it is very graphically heavy. My second choice would be (and if you could get your hands on 4GB of RAM) would be linux mint. It looks much better than lubuntu, but needs more RAM to run. My choices would be in order Lubuntu, Linux mint, then chrome OS.

I'm going to try ChromeOS first, it seems to be the easiest to install (literally installs to the USB already and I can optionally install it to the HDD later with a couple of clicks). If it doesn't work out I'll give Linux a try. I'd prefer not to though because it tends to be buggy at times.

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

we'll, chrome OS is a linux derivative too. Therefore that OS would also be buggy too as it is basically linux but with a nice looking guixD

I think the GUI does it for me then. I guess it's not the fact that it's buggy, it's just harder to navigate and such in comparison to Windows or Android or whatever. ChromeOS from what I've heard is made for simple minded people but it can do some pretty cool stuff too, and my brother insists that I try it out (since he works at Google) so I might as well do it now that I have the opportunity.