Swapped my VGA cable for a DVI cable and my 720p monitor looks better? WTF?

Arty

Is this supposed to happen.

like the text is crispier, colors are "better", whites are whiter.

pls explain xD?

Cable quality actually does matter with analog cables. Digital cables are overall higher quality and produce a better image because an eletrical signal doesn't degrade very much while an analog one will degrade much faster over distance.

You changed form an analog signal to a digital signal. If it was a low quality VGA cable or you had it coiled arround itself or something like that it could happen.

Just now, Yummychickenblue said:

Cable quality actually does matter with analog cables. Digital cables are overall higher quality and produce a better image because an eletrical signal doesn't degrade very much while an analog one will degrade much faster over distance.

true, but should it really be this vast of a difference?

especially on a 720p screen?

maybe i just had a really shitty analog cable? 

Some VGA cables are truly terrible.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, Arty said:

true, but should it really be this vast of a difference?

especially on a 720p screen?

maybe i just had a really shitty analog cable? 

Probably.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Some VGA cables are truly terrible.

im switching between the 2 to make sure not placebo.... and like the vga cable makes it look like a really really low bitrate 720p 

3 minutes ago, Seri said:

You changed form an analog signal to a digital signal. If it was a low quality VGA cable or you had it coiled arround itself or something like that it could happen.

i just coilded mine very tightly and there was slight color degrade but its a decent belkin one

Just now, Supercian411 said:

i just coilded mine very tightly and there was slight color degrade but its a decent belkin one

+1 for interference. 

Aside from the quality of the cable being a non factor now, every monitor (expect the big ass CRT which you should use VGA on them) is converting the signal from analog to digital which severely reduces image quality and can also bring lag since its pretty much one step in the process.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The real question here is why were you even using VGA in the first place when DVI was an option.

But like the others have said, analog to digital conversion result in quality loss.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

The real question here is why were you even using VGA in the first place when DVI was an option.

never needed a dvi cable, now that my new monitor (which amazon is shipping at snail speeds) needs the vga input on my pc i had to get a dvi cable for my old monitor.

(my new monitor is hdmi and vga, and my pc is dvi and vga.)

also about to order a nice vga cable, and burn this current one..........

The beauty of going from an analog cable to a digital one my friend :)

31 minutes ago, Redicat said:

How did you find a 720p monitor with DVI connection? pff 

Had since 05

How long was the VGA cable? My 3 meter one (ugh I suck at explaining) has like a few copies stacked behind each other, like seeing triple or whatever (which of course makes it look fuzzy as what). Changing it to a shorter cable helped, and changing it to a 3M DVI cable didn't do any bad either :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7