$800~ AUD gaming PC build?

Hey everyone, so my friend keeps looking at PC's on ebay that are prebuilt and asking me if they are good. I told him best option is to build your own. Anyway, i need some assistance with a $800 AUD build. I was thinking maybe i3 based, with GTX 960 ? All help appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, AppleWhizzer said:

Hey everyone, so my friend keeps looking at PC's on ebay that are prebuilt and asking me if they are good. I told him best option is to build your own. Anyway, i need some assistance with a $800 AUD build. I was thinking maybe i3 based, with GTX 960 ? All help appreciated. 

as an aussie, go second hand for that price. you will not regret it. join the facebook australian pc parts buy swap sell page. you can pick up a 290 for like 250 there

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

you might also want to check out pccasegear.com I brought my pc and other stuff from there and they have good prices and package things very well. They are in VIC and I'm in WA and never had an issue.

The Cake is a Lie...

As someone who lives in NSW (Riverina), PCCaseGear down in Melbourne is fairly good on its selection and prices, though I've had one or two small problems with them and their site (namely: once you sign up with an account, the address you first set is the one they will show as "your" address when you use the Account Area even if you've changed addresses and remember to set the new address as your shipping address on the first order after the move).

Even with the minor personal gripes with the site and store, processing time with orders is usually within 1-2 business days of ordering and payment confirmation depending on stock levels of the parts ordered and how swamped with orders they are.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7870K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($72.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($48.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ Umart) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($289.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Silverstone PS09B MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($47.50 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($63.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $788.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 19:20 AEST+1000

The AMD A10 is good in this case, since it has more cores than a, for example, i3. Since it's one of the best in the A10 line, it may even support VR.

The MoBo is an ASRock one, nothing special

8GB of RAM should be enough

1TB WD is enough to store tons of games and photos

The GTX 960 is a very good GPU, and, as for the A10, may very well support VR.

And to finish things off a Silverstone case and a 500W PSU will give you enough room and juice.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB