Got an EVGA GTX 980 Ti CLASSIFIED with coil whine

Hello,
Few days ago I purchased mentioned card at SCAN and it have extreme coil whine while gaming.
The PC itself is under the table and I can still hear it even when the fan hits 60%, it's louder than fan, something like "extreme coil whine LTD".
What to do?
Cheers.

5 minutes ago, WUKONS said:

Hello,
Few days ago I purchased mentioned card at SCAN and it have extreme coil whine while gaming.
The PC itself is under the table and I can still hear it even when the fan hits 60%, it's louder than fan, something like "extreme coil whine LTD".
What to do?
Cheers.

See if the coil whine is covered by RMA if it's really loud.

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

if its a few days ago then just RMA it

evga got a great customer service ;)

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

47 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

if its a few days ago then just RMA it

evga got a great customer service ;)

I'll try and update the post after chat with them. :) 

EDIT:
You we're right, they answered straight away, refreshed my inbox and e-mail was there. :o 

Hello,     

thank you for your email. Please note that coil whine is not symptom of any technical failure, and is relatively common amongst high powered electronics, but is usually at an inaudible frequency and goes unnoticed. We have a couple tips to help alleviate the noise:

We recommend testing your video card with another power supply, as often the power supply is a cause of noise issues. If the power from the PSU fluctuates, it can cause the coils to vibrate resulting in coil whine. You can check if the PSU is providing consistent power to your GPU. Go into your BIOS and look for the +12v reading. A healthy reading is between 11.4v - 12.6v. If you observe consistent fluctuations of more than .05 volts, the PSU is faulty and might be causing the errors.

Please also try a burn-in test with a benchmark program, we suggest Unigine Valley or OC Scanner X. Burn-in testing should last from 4 hours to 8 hours. This can often help the coil settle in and reduce the intensity of the noise, if not eliminate it completely.

If after these steps the problem persists, please contact us again so we may assist with an RMA request.

Regards,

Edited by WUKONS

E-mail Scan about it and they'll probably replace it for you, they're pretty chill dudes there.

Got a reply from SCAN 

Hello, it would be best for you to go through EVGA directly

Starting to think, maybe I should check how good it overclocks before filing RMA :D 

I'd rma that bitch asap scan aren't the best but you don't need a reason in the UK to get a refund within 30 days. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

What is your PSU btw? As the EVGA staff said, it could be a matter of your PSU voltages. Older PSUs usually have more of it as they have already been used under loads.

And if it's new but lowish tier, it can do the same.

Oh I know coil whine all too well, I've been down the path of multiple PSU's when getting a GPU with bad coul whine.

Believe me when I tell you it's not the PSU it's the cards.

I had a string of GTX780ti's that did it, Galaxy, ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, yes I went through that many GTX780ti's and all suffered from coil whine.

When the GTX980 dropped I jumped on a Gigabyte Windforce edition, which still had coil whine but no where near like the GTX780ti's.

Then the GTX980ti's came out, thought I'd get lucky there, and well after 2 Gigabyte GTX980ti Gaming's with the worlds worst coil whine (yes 2), I returned them for a MSI GTX980ti Gaming 6G, this has little to none (high unlocked menu framerates would cause it to make a noise), I did in the end sell that card for a EVGA GTX980ti Hybrid that card has ZERO coil whine.

Now don't let anyone convince you to start replacing other components, it's not the cause unless you actually hear the noise coming from there.

EVGA are very easy to deal with, they authorized the return to the supplier of my GTX780ti Classified due to coil whine, so don't wait flick an email to the ASAP and get the ball rolling.

On 04/04/2016 at 0:50 PM, Schoolofmonkey said:

Now don't let anyone convince you to start replacing other components, it's not the cause unless you actually hear the noise coming from there.

EVGA are very easy to deal with, they authorized the return to the supplier of my GTX780ti Classified due to coil whine, so don't wait flick an email to the ASAP and get the ball rolling.

Allrighty. It's just..maybe I should ask them to swap it for the Hybrid + of course I'm paying the difference between these two.. Is that possible? 
Cheers.

3 hours ago, WUKONS said:

Allrighty. It's just..maybe I should ask them to swap it for the Hybrid + of course I'm paying the difference between these two.. Is that possible? 
Cheers.

What you need to do is get eVGA to acknowledge the issue (usually in an email) make sure they tell you to return the card to the place of purchase.

The best way is to let them know the full story, that SCAN aren't interested in taking it back and told you to speak to them.

Once eVGA tell you to take it back it's really up to SCAN what they want to do, but there's no reason you can't pay the difference, I have been able to do it here with PCCG and MSY.