Vertical GPU in mid or full ATX case

So I've been looking around for quite a while now for a case with two vertical PCIe slots, that also stands upright, but the best I could find is a single vertical PCIe slot such as on the cooler master cosmos 2 (see image for vertical pcie slot, it's on the back right side of the case)

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=138

Seeing how essentially all high end GPUs are double slot cards, they won't quite fit a single pcie slot..

Taking this sound card as an example (or at least what I assume is a sound card),

LL

it sits in the case vertically, imagine if you could do the same with your GPU, that way the side that I'd call the front (The side with the fans) is facing out towards the window, instead of down where it will never be seen.

Has anyone here attempted something like this? If so, how did it work out? how did you try to do it?"

I'd likely end up trying it with a case such as the Corsair Air 540, or maybe the Fractal Design Define R5, as they have a fair amount of space between the tops of the current PCIe slots, and the case sidepanel.

I know that I'd be able to make a single vertical PCIe slot work if I had a single slot GPU, though high end single slot gpus typically require custom watercooling, which is something I do not have the money for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, Naeaes said:

Having the GPU mounted that way is very common in small form factor HTPCs. They often don't have the room to have it normally on the motherboard.  The extension or 'riser' for the PCI-E slot is not optimal but currently they only rarely cause issues. Your biggest worry would be how to support the GPU to keep it from sagging.

Yeah, though I wouldn't expect it to sag very much due to the height of the card, especially if it's pretty snug up to the rear of the case.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

8 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Yeah, though I wouldn't expect it to sag very much due to the height of the card, especially if it's pretty snug up to the rear of the case.

I don't think I've seen any recent case with double vertical mounted PCI-E slots only one at most but I've seen others mod it in by getting a PCI-E bracket like this and making some cuts:

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-p-701.html