why is steam only downloading an app at 10% of my actual bandwith

I have 75MB/s download speeds why is steam only showing its downloading at 7 mb/s? I am the only one connected and i am using ethernet. 

thanks

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I think it's just normal.

My Speedtest says my download speed is 5-7Mbps (which is total shit to begin with), but my Steam download rate is 500Kbps.

18 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I have 75MB/s download speeds why is steam only showing its downloading at 7 MB/s? I am the only one connected and i am using ethernet. 

thanks

If you have 75mbps (megabits) from your service provider that would fall in line with having only about 7MB/s with it having an absolute max of 9.375MB/s.

That's Steam lol

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

14 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Umm, I assume your going to ask why it's megabits and not megabytes, it's pretty much standard for service providers to advertise as megabits. That would give you about the right speed in terms of the download rate your seeing.

Just now, W-L said:

Umm, I assume your going to ask why it's megabits and not megabytes, it's pretty much standard for service providers to advertise as megabits. That would give you about the right speed in terms of the download rate your seeing.

ya i realized i messed up on the conversion as i was typing that then when i tried to delete it the quote wouldn't go away :/

When you do a speed test it does it in bits per second (which is the correct unit for data transfer) while by default steam shows downloads in Bytes (which is wrong for data transfer but can be changed in the setting to show bps not B/s)

8 bits (8bps) = 1 Byte (1B/s)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

5 hours ago, mcraftax said:

When you do a speed test it does it in bits per second (which is the correct unit for data transfer) while by default steam shows downloads in Bytes (which is wrong for data transfer but can be changed in the setting to show bps not B/s)

i realized that 

On 4/4/2016 at 5:46 AM, mcraftax said:

The fact that you can change how steam reports the download speeds is news to me, but I got used to Steam incorrectly reporting in MB/s long ago. It does make the comparison between download rate and disk activity easier to make though, and I'm guessing that was what they were going for.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: