Will I notice difference between 850 Pro and 950 Pro?

RRGT19

Hi,

I'm still deciding if worth to change from 850 Pro to a 950 Pro.

Some people see a difference, others don't.

Can someone tell me the true please....

Money is not an issue.

1 minute ago, RGT said:

Hi,

I'm still deciding if worth to change from 850 Pro to a 950 Pro.

Some people see a difference, others don't.

Can someone tell me the true please....

Money is not an issue.

Obviously yes, as long as you are able to fully utilise that speed. I reckon it will result in faster game loading times; probably not faster boot as the 850 Pro is already fast enough but maby by a couple of seconds; faster application launching AND faster loading of programs once windows has loaded.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Just now, Aleksbgbg said:

Obviously yes, as long as you are able to fully utilise that speed. I reckon it will result in faster game loading times; probably not faster boot as the 850 Pro is already fast enough but maby by a couple of seconds; faster application launching AND faster loading of programs once windows has loaded.

it's for gaming and daily use.... still worth the upgrade?

14 minutes ago, RGT said:

The 950 interface uses NVMe rather than AHCI, and it is much faster. Your motherboard can access the SSD through the PCIe 3.0 x4 bus lane. M.2 is how the SSD physically connects to the motherboard. M.2 can effectively run up to 3.94GB/s rather than the SATA's 600MB/s.

The 950 Pro suffers when it comes to random writes, but a transfer or a 1GB file will be done in a mere second. It's pretty damn speedy. In random write benchmarks, the 950 Pro is around the same speed as the 850 Pro, but when it comes to sequential writes the SSD is WAY faster. However, it seems that the higher capacity the SSD the slower it is. With random reads, the 950 Pro is much faster than the 850 Pro, and with sequential reads the 2034 MB/s quite clearly beats the 488 Mb/s. 

In short, if money isn't an issue there's absolutely no reason NOT to get the 950 Pro over the 850 Pro. 

Here's a great article to read up on.

Just now, RGT said:

it's for gaming and daily use.... still worth the upgrade?

If money is not an issue, then yes. In that case, 'worth' would be the effort taken to click the purchase button on amazon or going to the store and installing the thing, that's it.

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Just now, manualmode said:

The 950 interface uses NVMe rather than AHCI, and it is much faster. Your motherboard can access the SSD through the PCIe

If money is not an issue, then yes. In that case, 'worth' would be the effort taken to click the purchase button on amazon or going to the store and installing the thing, that's it.

a have a gtx980ti, mini itx build, b150i asus pro gaming

if i use 950 pro, my gpu will have less power, is that true?

2 minutes ago, RGT said:

a have a gtx980ti, mini itx build, b150i asus pro gaming

if i use 950 pro, my gpu will have less power, is that true?

What? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

As long as your power supply is sufficient, everything will be getting what it needs. If your PSU isn't sufficient, your PC will either shut down or burn up. The drive will not do anything to affect GPU power access.

As long as your power supply is sufficient, everything will be getting what it needs. If your PSU isn't sufficient, your PC will either shut down or burn up. The drive will not do anything to affect GPU power access.

corsair ax860i

i have read that the m.2 slot use some lines of the GPU and will reduce gpu performance

:(

Just now, RGT said:

corsair ax860i

i have read that the m.2 slot use some lines of the GPU and will reduce gpu performance

Since you're using the M.2 slot, there will be absolutely no performance impact whatsoever. Also, I edited my post because I accidentally saved it too quickly. Read above on it.

7 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

It's actually not too dumb of a thing to hear about. As this stuff is typically very confusing, people have trouble both explaining and interpreting the information they receive. It's a misconception that's actually surprisingly common. It just doesn't happen though - the GPU still performs perfectly. It has nothing to do with the PSU, but rather with the amount of PCIe lanes on the Z170 chipset and with your CPU.. Somehow people came up with the idea that using the M.2 slot will make your PC's performance suffer. 

3 minutes ago, RGT said:

corsair ax860i

M.2 slots only steal bandwidth from 1 of your SATA III ports on the mobo, that's it. Some CPUs may not have enough lanes to run 2 PCIe devices at the same time at full speed, but the drag is only minor for 2 devices anyway, and this is not a power delivery issue - it is a PCIe speed issue. Anyway, there's nothing to worry about.

Not worth if you ask me. You are very unlikely to notice 2-3 seconds faster load times

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Not worth if you ask me. You are very unlikely to notice 2-3 seconds faster load times

But he said money is not an issue :)

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

It's not all up to load times at all, though.

Also, he did say money is not an issue. 

Just now, don_svetlio said:

But he said money is not an issue :)

Just now, manualmode said:

It's not all up to load times at all, though.

Also, he did say money is not an issue. 

guys, let's put it this way.

Gaming, daily use, youtube, facebook, gaming and gaming and nothing else.

do you buy the 950 pro for that or just stay with 850 pro?

1 minute ago, RGT said:

If I had an infinite amount of money, then yes ... unless I was too lazy to press the purchase button.

3 minutes ago, RGT said:

Get the 850 evo. It's cheaper than both and good enough for your purposes. You could say money is not an issue, but it doesn't matter. We don't really care if you want to show off, just get what you need.

32 minutes ago, RGT said:

Stay for now.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If money is not an issue, I'd get the 5000MB/s enterprise SSD from Intel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5EM3T05202, or better yet get the slower and less storage $36,000 HP SSD

i7 5820 x2 - Asus X99-A / Gigabyte Gaming 5 - 16GB 2400 / 8GB 2666 - M.2 950 PRO 512+256 - OCZ V2 55GB - 840 EVO 250GB - EVGA 960 4GB - SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64GB 245MB/s