Can i format SSD during installation of Windows 10?

zzz123

Hi . Is this safe? I formatted my ssd during installation of Windows 10. Disk is Samsung Evo 250 GB

Formatting a drive is completely safe. You will wipe all data that is on it, but it wont damage the drive.

Somebody said that i can kill my ssd during format. I am confused now. I formatted my ssd during installation of Win 10. So it is safe?

Just now, zzz123 said:

Somebody said that i can kill my ssd during format. I am confused now. I formatted my ssd during installation of Win 10. So it is safe?

It's fine, you're supposed to format an SSD in installation, whoever said it's dangerous is stupid.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

SSDs use flash chips and they have a write limit, but a single format wont do any harm. Also if you did a quick format, it only erases the table file that stores the data where your files are.

i did overall 2 quick formats on my ssd thats all ( During installation of Windows 10 ) So its fine?

19 minutes ago, zzz123 said:

I don't know what the person is talking about - they're completely wrong. While there is a chance something could go wrong, formatting an SSD as a function will not destroy it.

You're fine formatting an SSD during the installation of W10.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

he told me that use SECURE ERASE instead of formatting.

As far as i know the only difference between secure erasing and formatting is that secure erase writes everything over with zeroes -> erasing writes more to the disk -> secure erasing actually reduces the lifespan of your ssd more than a format. The amount the lifespan reduces is as small as a drop in the ocean. (so your friends method actually "kills" the ssd more than formatting...lol) Still nothing to worry about.

9 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

As far as i know the only difference between secure erasing and formatting is that secure erase writes everything over with zeroes -> erasing writes more to the disk -> secure erasing actually reduces the lifespan of your ssd more than a format. The amount the lifespan reduces is as small as a drop in the ocean. (so your friends method actually "kills" the ssd more than formatting...lol) Still nothing to worry about.

Though for the record, formatting in Windows can do the same thing with normal formatting(leaving the Quick Format box unchecked). Normal operation of the SSD will cause wear-and-tear because of not only adding data, but also because of Trim. But as you have stated, it doesn't matter because SSDs have very high durability.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just keep in mind that the more you format, the more writes you use up. I formatted my SSD for a Clean Windows 10 install from a 32 bit version and it went from 0.6TB to 0.8TB Don't worry though, the SSD can last up to 75TB so you are most likely gonna be safe. Just don't get too carried away...

7 minutes ago, kingkvndrick said:

Just keep in mind that the more you format, the more writes you use up. I formatted my SSD for a Clean Windows 10 install from a 32 bit version and it went from 0.6TB to 0.8TB Don't worry though, the SSD can last up to 75TB so you are most likely gonna be safe. Just don't get too carried away...

Ultimately, it depends on the format chosen, and how much data is on the drive.