Opinions on the Model 3?

HelplmChoking

Model 3 opinions?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Tesla model 3 is attractive?

• Yes!
    • Sorta?
    • Hell no!
    • Maybe with a grill...

What do you think of the model 3? Personally, I think its pretty ugly, given the lack of grill, and the back end is too sloping. I also think the dash is pig ugly and near unusable without an instrument cluster. I'm not likely to own one, as I need the ability to drive very long distances (500Km+) and NZ has pretty much no charge stations.

What do you think? Attractive/ugly? Engineering marvel/over ambitious?

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

I don't really think any of the Tesla models are good looking cars. They all just look very boring. 

I've seen quite a few of them around the M25 and M4 in the past months, but I only take not of them because they're cool in concept and are not exactly common in the UK. I don't do a double look though. If it were something like a BMW i8, then I'd be staring at it because it actually looks interesting. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

I don't really think any of the Tesla models are good looking cars. They all just look very boring. 

I've seen quite a few of them around the M25 and M4 in the past months, but I only take not of them because they're cool in concept and are not exactly common in the UK. I don't do a double look though. If it were something like a BMW i8, then I'd be staring at it because it actually looks interesting. 

I kinda agree. Electric cars are very rare in NZ, because lots of people have to drive long distance, and there's a lack of infrastructure. So far I've seen 2 Teslas and one i8. The i8 is amazing and gorgeous, and I love it, but you're right. The Model S is quite.. dull. Its not ugly, like I think the Model 3 is, but its a very average car. And I really dislike the rear end, like the 3 I find it way too sloping to be considered a sedan.

2 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

I kinda agree. Electric cars are very rare in NZ, because lots of people have to drive long distance, and there's a lack of infrastructure. So far I've seen 2 Teslas and one i8. The i8 is amazing and gorgeous, and I love it, but you're right. The Model S is quite.. dull. Its not ugly, like I think the Model 3 is, but its a very average car. And I really dislike the rear end, like the 3 I find it way too sloping to be considered a sedan.

They're not bad looking, but are definitely boring looking. It just looks like some car, like a base model Audi, Merc or BMW, there's not really anything interesting about them. Given the cost of Teslas, they should really do something to stand out from the German business saloons. 

Dude, my opinion on the exterior is the same exact opinion as yours holy crap. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think all 3 have a beautiful design language. From the subtle curves to the sloping, continuous roof-line. It's refreshing to see a simple but elegant design in a decade of over-designed aggressive looking cars. I share this feeling with cars like the Mazda 3, and the new Honda Civic. Not that an agressive looking car is terrible, but it is no longer agressive when every car on the road shares the same design standard. In my opinion the Model 3 is a car that takes design cues from a number of places, such as Aston Martian, Ford, Porche, and Mazda and has smoothed it out into its own look and feel.

Edit: As for the grill, I would rather Tesla keep it off entirely then to put a false one just to please those who want it. It serves no purpose on this car and would only lower the drag coefficient. 

Lord of Helium.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Dude, my opinion on the exterior is the same exact opinion as yours holy crap. 

I think its because it deviates from what we would expect from a car. Like the grill, which is a pretty integral and universally present part of the nose of a car. Even in mid/rear engined cars, there is still a grill of sorts. A porsche still has a front grill, but small like the Tesla's, but has a much lower nose to match it.

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

I think its because it deviates from what we would expect from a car. Like the grill, which is a pretty integral and universally present part of the nose of a car. Even in mid/rear engined cars, there is still a grill of sorts. A porsche still has a front grill, but small like the Tesla's, but has a much lower nose to match it.

yeah though i don't mind the model s having no grill, because it's disguised pretty well. the model s has a fake grill that's black to make it look real, while the model 3 has no grill and doesn't have anything to hide the fact. it's like a human with no nose.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Tthe Sega Model 3 arcade platform really was amazing for it's time and while Daytona USA 2 is not as iconic as the Model 2's Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2 is still a beautiful arcade game.

...Who cares about cars? :V

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Tthe Sega Model 3 arcade platform really was amazing for it's time and while Daytona USA 2 is not as iconic as the Model 2's Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2 is still a beautiful arcade game.

...Who cares about cars? :V

-_- smartass :P 

I think it looks very nice. Not sure how I'd fare with a 210km range, simply because the UK doesn't have any Supercharger infrastructure as far as I know, so I could only really charge at home (though I have seen parking spaces in and around town with electric car chargers that are reserved only for plug in vehicles). 5 star safety rating in every category is pretty cool as well, I imagine especially so for people with families and so on.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

30 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

I think it looks very nice. Not sure how I'd fare with a 210km range, simply because the UK doesn't have any Supercharger infrastructure as far as I know, so I could only really charge at home (though I have seen parking spaces in and around town with electric car chargers that are reserved only for plug in vehicles). 5 star safety rating in every category is pretty cool as well, I imagine especially so for people with families and so on.

215miles is 350km, and the UK does have superchargers but idk how many, looks to be a fair amount.

https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Lord of Helium.

Just now, Burusutazu said:

215miles is 350km, and the UK does have superchargers but idk how many, looks to be a fair amount.

https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

It's 210km not miles isn't it?

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Still haven't seen an EV that doesn't have the EV design stigma. The interior is bad. No buttons, no real language in the design other than minimalistic however winding up to be boring. Exterior isn't bad. Lack of a grille is the aforementioned stigma. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

13 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

What do you think of the model 3? Personally, I think its pretty ugly, given the lack of grill, and the back end is too sloping. I also think the dash is pig ugly and near unusable without an instrument cluster. I'm not likely to own one, as I need the ability to drive very long distances (500Km+) and NZ has pretty much no charge stations.

What do you think? Attractive/ugly? Engineering marvel/over ambitious?

Ugly, but for $35k, not an issue.

However, I live in Denmark, so we will have to pay around 35k +25%(VAT), to add another 100% (registrations fee is 65% of 150% of normal petrol vehicles) to that, so $87.5K for a Model 3... I hate Denmark :P The worst part of the registration fee is - people buy worse cars and less often, so we pretty much drive suicidal cars daily, and the income through that fee is only around £1 billion a year - easily made up by higher taxes or cutting a bit in "SU" (students get money for studying, even when they live at home as long as they are over 18)

Diesel is cheaper than petrol though, so we've got that going for us (although still at around $1.25/litre)

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

It's a good enough looking car for $35k. Remember that you'd also be dropping gas. I don't drive a bunch, but that saves me $60-80 a month with the lower prices of recent. Also I can almost always be full charge if I charge overnight. (Unless that's a no no)

I do care about the aesthetics of a car, but for the improvement in lifestyle that an EV would bring me for not a whole lot more than I would spend on a combustion sedan, I can let the lack of a grill pass.