*Updated* Worth Salvaging/Resurrecting

GeekJump

So my first fully mine PC from 2007 still exists in my family's basement. I'm 95% sure this is it

http://www.pcworld.com/product/29435/dimension-e520-desktop-customizable.html

It worked up until late 2014 but after that it was just me consistently doing PC-CPR to keep it going. It didn't completely break down it just got annoyingly slow for my family to bother. Now it just sits collecting dust...My question is - is it worth salvaging it's parts to upgrade it to modern day use? I don't mean 4K gaming; just swapping a couple things out to make it run like nice-ish for my madre.

Or would it just be cheaper to build 100% from scratch?

*Update*

Ripped apart the computer and have the following left over that I don't know what to do with. Is any of it worth keeping? Can I do something with it?

• AMD Athlon 64x2
  • Samsung 2x1 GB DDR1 ram
  • Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE
  • Unidentifiable Mobo
  • Stock Dell PSU
  • Random Network Card

I also took out 2 ODD and a 250 GB hard drive but those are already allocated to other things if I can't use the rest.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

You'd be better starting from scratch since its ddr2 

However, the case looks lofty, perhaps use the same case with some modding. 

I mean you could double the ram and get a better cpu but thats still just web browsing and MS word. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

7 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

You'd be better starting from scratch since its ddr2 

However, the case looks lofty, perhaps use the same case with some modding. 

I mean you could double the ram and get a better cpu but thats still just web browsing and MS word. 

Actually I think I picked the wrong computer...I remember mines was an amd build but the link is intel. Also remember it was ~250GB storage and 8 GB ram. I guess I have to delve into the dusty abyss that is my family's basement to confirm o.O...

I do like the case because of the color and space; but that damn logo.

Also has optical drive technology changed that dramatically since 2007? At the very least I can tar out the optical drive for my newer builds and save $20 :P 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Just now, GeekJump said:

Actually I think I picked the wrong computer...I remember mines was an amd build but the link is intel. Also remember it was 500 GB storage and 8 GB ram. I guess I have to delve into the dusty abyss that is my family's basement to confirm o.O...

I do like the case because of the color and space; but that damn logo.

Also has optical drive technology changed that dramatically since 2007? At the very least I can tar out the optical drive for my newer builds and save $20 :P 

My publishing class uses a cd/dvd drive from like 05 so no

8gb or ram, if its ddr3 and depending on the CPU you might be able to salvage it. Try it with zorin or zorin lite before you scrap it. I use laptops with 2gb of ram for gophers 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

*Update*

Ripped apart the computer and have the following left over that I don't know what to do with. Is any of it worth keeping? Can I do something with it?

• AMD Athlon 64x2
  • Samsung 2x1 GB DDR1 ram
  • Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE
  • Unidentifiable Mobo
  • Stock Dell PSU
  • Random Network Card

I also took out 2 ODD and a 250 GB hard drive but those are already allocated to other things if I can't use the rest.