Why do game developers don't like modders?

RespawnCake

I don't get it,just look at Skyrim.It was good game at launch but modders made it one of best this generation.And they do it for free at charge just for the pure fun. Modding Gta4,Skyrim have boosted their sales extravagantly over the years. Dayz is also one of perfect examples(although it was make by bohemia not third party mod but still it's a mod) how modding can create sale boost(arma 2).

I wish more game developers would be more accessible toward modding communities.

Battlefield 3 + project reality - would probably be one of best shooters ever( remember bf2 + proj.reality)

Far Cry 3,Assassins Creed,Witcher 2 are just one of so many that can be modded and would probably be popular.And most important would make sales on originals even more popular

Well for instance - Hot Coffee Mod and GTA San Andreas...

Plus mods ive seen on Japanese modding site for Fallout New Vegas would please pedobear...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

im a game dev and i <3 modders.

its mostly down to the fact that devs dont want to release the game engine to the players to mod from, they cost (On average) £500-£50000 to create so

Character artist in the Games industry.

If users create mods, it detracts from the value of DLCs that may come out for the game. Who wants to pay for additional content when you can just as enjoyable additional content for free? And especially in the case of level editors and such. If a game like BF4 gave us a level editor or the ability to create our own maps, then as soon as a DLC comes out, people will just re-create the new maps in the level editor and no one will buy the DLC since they can play almost the same map for free. I think the main reason devs don't like mods is simply because mods detract from the value of the game and DLC towards devs, it's nothing but good things for the consume though.

Intel i5 3570K - ASRock Extreme4 - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb RAM - ASUS GTX 660 Ti - Samsung 840 250Gb SSD (OS-Games) - WD 750Gb HDD (Storage) - Corsair TX650W PSU - Corsair 300R

If users create mods, it detracts from the value of DLCs that may come out for the game. Who wants to pay for additional content when you can just as enjoyable additional content for free? And especially in the case of level editors and such. If a game like BF4 gave us a level editor or the ability to create our own maps, then as soon as a DLC comes out, people will just re-create the new maps in the level editor and no one will buy the DLC since they can play almost the same map for free. I think the main reason devs don't like mods is simply because mods detract from the value of the game and DLC towards devs, it's nothing but good things for the consume though.

I mean after some time if they release sdk for modders. For example 3 years after Bf3,when all dlc are over and new game bf is coming.

Payday 2 is a prime example of devs who don't want you to mod their game, they are completely anal about it, they ban anyone from their forums who suggests it. It's absurd in my opinion, Payday 2 isn't very good and I feel like giving the chance to mod it would help it so much.

Valve for example allow to mod - hell they have Steam Workshop...

Ministry of StopIt!

Mods just make a game relevant for longer, give it better replay value and so you'd think result in more sales.

Modding are really only relevant in some types of games though. It doesn't make a lot of sense to mod FPS titles because you'd be re-textuing whole levels and you can't really add any game play. But with games like Skyrim where textures and objects are repeated throughout the world and quests can be added it does.

I would say it's because it would cost them a lot, they would most likely have to modify the engine program so that more mainstream people can get an idea of it which would be time taking and some may hate to see that some random guys around the world are doing a better job that a game studio (texture, physics and mechanics mods) xD

Modders -> awesome, Gmod is one of the best, and half life modding community is biggest out there <3 valve <3

Morrowind mod for Skyrim ( Skywind ) -> Epic

Cuple months ago i played DayZ ... in freaking San Andreas Multiplayer ! How cool is that?

I mean, the gameplay was awesome, it was lacking zombies, but it was genuine DayZ experience !

Imagine what they could make with GTA 5... and other games. 

Yes PR is awesome. Shame battlefield 3/4 would be awesome modding material... imagine zombie survival mode in BF3 halflife2 style.

Mods just make a game relevant for longer, give it better replay value and so you'd think result in more sales.

Why you think i still play GTA San Andreas? Drifiting in Akina Mountain in a Lan Evo VI...

San Andreas Multiplayer

Is a joke - one and only TRUE Multi for GTA Series was MultiTheftAuto Vice City. Without it SAMP wouldnt even be in someones head.

Ministry of StopIt!

Why you think i still play GTA San Andreas? Drifiting in Akina Mountain in a Lan Evo VI...

Haha I still play it with original textures. I could never get mods to work.

Haha I still play it with original textures. I could never get mods to work.

Ive download the Akina Mountain, but textures were soo low res i had to mod it myself a bit. Not to "show off" did this mod and few other back in the times when i was Junior Admin on biggest polish site about GTA http://www.gta-worldmods.de/phpkit/start/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=3588

Ministry of StopIt!

They simply don't want to loose money.

If they release modding-tools, their game will have a longer lifetime and therefor, they won't be able to sell the sequel as well. They also would have a hard time making money of cheaply made dlcs, since the community would make better additions to their games for free.

Modding are really only relevant in some types of games though. It doesn't make a lot of sense to mod FPS titles because you'd be re-textuing whole levels and you can't really add any game play. But with games like Skyrim where textures and objects are repeated throughout the world and quests can be added it does.

Modding fps titles is possible, not only textures, models and maps. Complete gameplay change, if the devs allow modding, just like we saw ( in huge scale ) in hl2.

Is a joke - one and only TRUE Multi for GTA Series was MultiTheftAuto Vice City. Without it SAMP wouldnt even be in someones head.

I am ashamed to say i have never played it. I only played MTA san andreas and SAMP, but never vice city ( singleplayer yes ).

They simply don't want to loose money.

If they release modding-tools, their game will have a longer lifetime and therefor, they won't be able to sell the sequel as well. They also would have a hard time making money of cheaply made dlcs, since the community would make better additions to their games for free.

Loosing money? I hope you are kidding... if they think like that then they must be mental. Not devs, bosses.

EDIT: 

Actually you are right. They just want to sell the game, then sell "Premium" then cuple DLCs and make easy money out of it.

Worst example is completelly locked "Hard Mode" in Colonial Marines ( i think ) game. Pay more to unlock gameplay how it was ment to be played. Wow completelly mental.

One thing they COULD do is to Sell modding tools and a "tool" that allows you to play community made stuff. Or the model valve is using... so even the modders get payed along with original devs.

some devs dont want other pepole to mess around with there creation

about OT

Bohemia interactive did not create DayZ, it is community made, when sales started rocketing bohemia gave in and sort of hired the devs, namely Dean Hall

The standalone however, will include Bohemia as developer.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

about OT

Bohemia interactive did not create DayZ, it is community made, when sales started rocketing bohemia gave in and sort of hired the devs, namely Dean Hall

The standalone however, will include Bohemia as developer.

Maybe it was community idea,bohemia just worked together with them,provide more funds,ironing bugs etc?

Maybe it was community idea,bohemia just worked together with them,provide more funds,ironing bugs etc?

bohemia was kind of late to the party

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

It is not that all devs hate modders, but some, and especially the ones with bigger publishers (EA) don't generally like modders. there are however game devs that are really open about modding.

I generally see the tendency that if you are a AAA Publisher (EA) you generally disallow modding because DLC. Later down the game's life they don't care about the game anymore to spend money on it by giving modding tools out to people.

Some devs just don't want their game to be touched and tinkered with, they think they know whats best for their game or whatever the case might be, it's not always the publishers trying to sell you DLC, devs are people too and they have different opinions.

Well for instance - Hot Coffee Mod and GTA San Andreas...

Plus mods ive seen on Japanese modding site for Fallout New Vegas would please pedobear...

that was fucking stupid

1. who wants to see a pixelated dong/bewbs

2. R* was sued and defeated over it even though what you mod is your fault not the devs <_> 

3. pretty sure it was originally found by some 12 year old and his gma sued R* because of it, but ohhh no killing people, going to strip clubs, and driving recklessly is just peachy but bring in un censored sex then its a terrible thing. maybe thats why there was originally a rating of 17+ .......

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015