Can someone recommend a 2 bay hard drive enclosure that I can use with my laptop?

minimalist

I have a 4TB and a 3TB drive I want to pull from my PC right now before I sell it so that I can keep everything on it and it use it to access and store data on while using my laptop.  What are some reliable brands?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

5 minutes ago, minimalist said:

I have a 4TB and a 3TB drive I want to pull from my PC right now before I sell it so that I can keep everything on it and it use it to access and store data on while using my laptop.  What are some reliable brands?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008040%20600535779&IsNodeId=1&Description=hard%20drive%20enclosure&name=Hard%20Drive%20Enclosures&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1 

pick one of the most/highest rated ones from one of these.

ASU

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Do you know if the ICY DOCK enclosure will read each drive individually?  I just don't want there to be a problem since one drive is a back up and the other is what I use to pull and store data.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Just now, minimalist said:

Do you know if the ICY DOCK enclosure will read each drive individually?  I just don't want there to be a problem since one drive is a back up and the other is what I use to pull and store data.

I think it should, if it doesn't it would have to put the drives in a RAID to read them as one.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

I think it should, if it doesn't it would have to put the drives in a RAID to read them as one.

And that's all I'm seeing.  I don't want them to be put in RAID

1 minute ago, minimalist said:

And that's all I'm seeing.  I don't want them to be put in RAID

Oh, duh, that's because the icydock enclosure thing is a RAID enclosure. You want a hard drive dock like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707360&cm_re=hard_drive_enclosure-_-17-707-360-_-Product Your drives are a bit more exposed, but as long as their plugged into something, they should be fine.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Oh, duh, that's because the icydock enclosure thing is a RAID enclosure. You want a hard drive dock like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707360&cm_re=hard_drive_enclosure-_-17-707-360-_-Product Your drives are a bit more exposed, but as long as their plugged into something, they should be fine.

Yeah that would worry me.  I want something fully enclosed and preferably with a fan.

Yeah that would worry me.  I want something fully enclosed and preferably with a fan.

Any particular reason why?

-edit- this is my 970th post. I have a gtx 970. 970 is a big number. Iluminati confirmed 0.0

ASU

Any particular reason why?

I have a clumsy girlfriend, and keeping them cooler sounds like a pretty good idea

Honestly, at this point, I'm tempted to just go with this, put everything on my 3TB drive, onto here, and set it in RAID1.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBLWE0080JCH-NESN/dp/B00KU686D2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459485126&sr=8-1&keywords=external+raid+8tb

Edit*** I mean, one of my drives is a backup drive anyway.

Honestly, at this point, I'm tempted to just go with this, put everything on my 3TB drive, onto here, and set it in RAID1.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBLWE0080JCH-NESN/dp/B00KU686D2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459485126&sr=8-1&keywords=external+raid+8tb

Edit*** I mean, one of my drives is a backup drive anyway.

I'm assuming the "normal" mode on a lot of these enclosures just recognizes the drives individually. http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-9528RU3-Aluminum-External-Enclosure/dp/B00FRBF5UM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1459485289&sr=8-5&keywords=2+bay+external+hot+swap+enclosure

ASU

I think JBOD mode would allow me to do what I need to now that I'm reading a little more. The ICY DOCK has JBOD mode.

I think JBOD mode would allow me to do what I need to now that I'm reading a little more. The ICY DOCK has JBOD mode.

You want to combine your 7tb of drive for a backup? Then I think a RAID solution might be a good idea.

ASU

You want to combine your 7tb of drive for a backup? Then I think a RAID solution might be a good idea.

No.  Now I don't think JBOD would work because when my laptop goes to read it via USB 3.0 I don't want it to see a 7TB drive.  I want it to see a 3TB and 4TB drive.  3TB for everything, 4TB for backup.

No.  Now I don't think JBOD would work because when my laptop goes to read it via USB 3.0 I don't want it to see a 7TB drive.  I want it to see a 3TB and 4TB drive.  3TB for everything, 4TB for backup.

I think running one of those cheaper enclosures that have a normal mode or aren't advertised as RAID enclosures would work, but it would be worth a Google search to find out more about the drive, or maybe contacting Newegg support for more information. OORRRR, you could be that arrogant bastard we all love being and just buy one then face the shame of an RMA if it doesn't work.

ASU

I think running one of those cheaper enclosures that have a normal mode or aren't advertised as RAID enclosures would work, but it would be worth a Google search to find out more about the drive, or maybe contacting Newegg support for more information. OORRRR, you could be that arrogant bastard we all love being and just buy one then face the shame of an RMA if it doesn't work.

The WD 4TBx2 link I showed might actually work.  I'm hesitant only because if one dies I don't think I can just take out one and replace it with another.

I have this one. It's amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26VV4/ref=s9_al_bw_g147_i1

I know it's for four drives, but hey, you might want to add more someday. I'm getting the same or better transfer speeds through USB 3 as internal SATA. Other reviews have noticed the same. 

And yes, all the drives I have in there show up separately. 

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

1 minute ago, Jidonsu said:

I have this one. It's amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26VV4/ref=s9_al_bw_g147_i1

I know it's for four drives, but hey, you might want to add more someday. I'm getting the same or better transfer speeds through USB 3 as internal SATA. Other reviews have noticed the same. 

If I stick a 4TB back-up drive and a 3tb storage drive in there will that be an issue?  I just want to keep everything as is when I plug it in.

5 minutes ago, minimalist said:

If I stick a 4TB back-up drive and a 3tb storage drive in there will that be an issue?  I just want to keep everything as is when I plug it in.

That's basically what I did. I didn't want to hear my HDDs, so I just stuffed them in the external enclosure, and they showed up as if nothing has changed with the same drive letters and everything. I have it hiding in a desk cabinet.

The fans can be manual or auto. It also goes into sleep mode when the PC is off or in sleep mode.Or you can opt to have it turn itself off when your PC is off or is in sleep. Pretty happy with it. 

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

34 minutes ago, Jidonsu said:

That's basically what I did. I didn't want to hear my HDDs, so I just stuffed them in the external enclosure, and they showed up as if nothing has changed with the same drive letters and everything. I have it hiding in a desk cabinet.

The fans can be manual or auto. It also goes into sleep mode when the PC is off or in sleep mode.Or you can opt to have it turn itself off when your PC is off or is in sleep. Pretty happy with it. 

Awesome, thanks so much!

7 hours ago, minimalist said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

Any enclosure that supports either JBOD or Span can be useful here, it really depends on what exactly you'd like to do. Different enclosures have different features (RAID support, on-board cloning abilities, encryption, etc.) so it would first consider what feature you'd like to have. 
You can always check out the empty version of WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra or EX2100 and have the ability to use the drives as NAS devices.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/