Microsoft Office 365 vs Office 2013

I don't really like the idea of a monthly/yearly subscription when I pay for software (except antiviruses), so I don't really want to buy Office 365. However, I have heard that if I just purchase Office 2013 instead of 365 it will only be available for the computer that I purchase it with and I won't be able to use it on any of my other PCs. Is this true? Also, if I get Office 365 which comes with support for up to 5 PCs, can I install one of the licenses on a friend's computer since I don't actually have enough devices to use up my 5 licenses? I'm a student btw

I remember the Microsoft back peddling after some backlash from the community regarding the one computer license and one time use. But since then they added this for 2013: 

4. You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner). If you transfer the software to another computer, that other computer becomes the "licensed computer."

taken from Amazon's page: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Student-1User-Download/dp/B00B1TGUMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379464704&sr=8-1&keywords=microsoft+office+2013

Of course with 365 you can install up to five computers, but you will be paying a yearly fee as opposed to the boxed\DL retail version of a one time fee. A trade off for sure.

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

lmao someone actually trying to pay for a software. i just find this so hilarious.

OT: I agree with the aforementioned, try to find a friend or school to get a key. If not get 2013 not 365.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The key for a "regular" license (2013 in this case) can only be used once, so doing something such as re-installing would make the key useless. 365 as you said can be used on 5 PCs, so in other words, the key can be used 5 times, with the 365 days thing of course. Also, I'm think you could try to ask your school computer lab for a key or whatever, as schools buy licenses to distribute for all the computers if I remember correctly.

False. It's PER PC, not per install.

Both you can re-install Office as many times as you want.

Office 365 is a better value if you care about the extra programs, OR you have more than 3 PCs or Macs that you want Office with.

Going with Office 365 will automatically upgrade you to the new Office when it comes out, as you pay per year.

If you have Office 2013, you'll need to purchase the new version. No free upgrade path.

If you are a student, you can get Office 360 for 79$ for 4 years, but up to 2 PC or Macs

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Office-365-University/productID.260246200

The university edition is a great way to go if you qualify for it (so you just need a .edu email address or another way to prove you're a member of an education institution). Granted, it's not the same level of value as the 2010 university edition was in my opinion, but it's an awesome way to save money and get some really nice features if you have to have office.

However, the value of the suites depends largely on what you need to do with them. If you need the exclusive features included in the suite, then by all means go for it. But if you're just wanting basic functionality, there are plenty of free alternatives that can do the same job. Windows 8 even includes Wordpad, which reminds me a lot of Word in appearance and basic functionality.

It's your call, though, since you know what you need to be able to do.

I find the 365 more expensive in the long run if you keep it for 3 years until the next one comes out, but it's worth it.

you pay a little at a time, and we have 5 computers in my house that we have it installed on. 2013 can't install on 5 computers.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Question, do you actually need office or could something like libreoffice be more than enough?

If you are just starting uni I would wait until a few weeks in before buying anything, instead download libreoffice (there is a portable version that doesn't need installing) and see how you get along.

If you find all you need from an office suite is essays and presentations libreoffice will do you fine, but if it turns out you need macros then Microsoft office will probably be required.

Office 365 may be cheaper if you always have to run the absolute latest version of office but the previous version doesn't stop working when a new one comes out, with 365 you have no option but to always pay to be able to use it, with purchasing a home and student copy at least you can use it for years to come.

Question, do you actually need office or could something like libreoffice be more than enough?

If you are just starting uni I would wait until a few weeks in before buying anything, instead download libreoffice (there is a portable version that doesn't need installing) and see how you get along.

If you find all you need from an office suite is essays and presentations libreoffice will do you fine, but if it turns out you need macros then Microsoft office will probably be required.

Office 365 may be cheaper if you always have to run the absolute latest version of office but the previous version doesn't stop working when a new one comes out, with 365 you have no option but to always pay to be able to use it, with purchasing a home and student copy at least you can use it for years to come.

The one thing that annoys me about LibreOffice is the inability to have nice Header and Title fonts as well as inserting cover pages to make your document prettier

The one thing that annoys me about LibreOffice is the inability to have nice Header and Title fonts as well as inserting cover pages to make your document prettier

I'm not sure what you mean, you can change the header and Title fonts if you like but don't you just have them the same as the format of the rest of your document but with a bold or an underline? and you can insert a Title page no problem.

I'm not sure what you mean, you can change the header and Title fonts if you like but don't you just have them the same as the format of the rest of your document but with a bold or an underline? and you can insert a Title page no problem.

As in predone templates for nice looking cover pages

Personally I use Google Drive because it's free, easy to use and I can use it across my different devices.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

The key for a "regular" license (2013 in this case) can only be used once, so doing something such as re-installing would make the key useless. 365 as you said can be used on 5 PCs, so in other words, the key can be used 5 times, with the 365 days thing of course. Also, I'm think you could try to ask your school computer lab for a key or whatever, as schools buy licenses to distribute for all the computers if I remember correctly. 

I have my Pro License on a laptop and desktop... And my parents work for the government, so he gets the HUP for $10...

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

I have Office 07 with 3 licence and all 3 are used, but by uninstalling one of the licences on one PC and reinstall it on a 4th PC with no problem's.

Am in the same boat, am thinking about upgrading my office 07 to office 2013 or 365, on the long term 365 is more expensive but you get latest updates fast and its part of the cost but I have a netbook with Windows XP and office 365 will not work on it, needs Windows 7 or newer to run.

Cry Havoc!