How to manage bandwidth at home?

WhiteSkyMage

Hey guys,

I am going to be upgrading internet once i move out from here, however i just want to know one thing - since I will have 20/20 down/up mbps internet, i would like to spread it around so that nobody bothers anyone else when using the internet (from my family). So i found out that my router doesnt't seem to have any kind of QOS feature. I will still be changing it cuz I will have a new one from my new ISP, but is there a way to manage bandwidth somehow without having any QOS features on your router? Do i have to set up a home server to do the job?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

You really need a home router with QoS to do this, especially if anyone wants to do any kind of gaming that is ping dependent like CS:GO.

The only way of doing QOS really is to have that functionality on the router or switch/ap for the clients connecting to it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

If the router doesn't have a a utility for limiting individual speeds then the next option is buy a new one or use an old PC with pfsense or some router OS.  But unless someone uses tor or sets a priority system it should balance itself out.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Very few ISP router or even consumer grade kit as QOS. If you are looking for a good solution the Uniquiti EdgeRouter range is good, the X model is like the step up from standard consumer grade routers.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

You can check DD-WRT website. It is a custom firmware for routers and the project counts with a huge compatibility list, A LOT of compatible routers. The installation may seem complicated depending on your router but it's not as scary as it seems. You have to pay attention and follow the well documented instructions. With DD-WRT you'll have features like per IP bandwidth monitor and limit. It's really easier and cheaper than setting up a home server as you're describing domestic usage and simple features that can be performed even by a low end router.

Does anyone of you guys use Fritzbox 7490? This is the one that my new ISP will be giving me...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

17 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

The only way of doing QOS really is to have that functionality on the router or switch/ap for the clients connecting to it.

16 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

If the router doesn't have a a utility for limiting individual speeds then the next option is buy a new one or use an old PC with pfsense or some router OS.  But unless someone uses tor or sets a priority system it should balance itself out.

15 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Very few ISP router or even consumer grade kit as QOS. If you are looking for a good solution the Uniquiti EdgeRouter range is good, the X model is like the step up from standard consumer grade routers.

13 minutes ago, TheSpaceMonkey said:

You can check DD-WRT website. It is a custom firmware for routers and the project counts with a huge compatibility list, A LOT of compatible routers. The installation may seem complicated depending on your router but it's not as scary as it seems. You have to pay attention and follow the well documented instructions. With DD-WRT you'll have features like per IP bandwidth monitor and limit. It's really easier and cheaper than setting up a home server as you're describing domestic usage and simple features that can be performed even by a low end router.