Linksys WRT1900AC -- Hmmm maybe change the router?

Hey all,

So here I am again...    this is the continuation of another thread of mine, I was planning to upgrade my parents house. I decided on using a Linksys WRT1900AC that I got refurbished from Microcenter, and then used my old Belkin N750 as a wireless access point.

So far things have been good, however -- not that I really know what certain symptoms mean, but I noticed that the wifi coverage from the WRT1900AC is not really different at all from the Belkin N750. For instance, the WRT1900 is placed in a corner in the basement, and then a cable is wired to the N750 upstairs in the middle of the house for coverage. 

Now, here's the thing.. when I connect to the WRT1900 with my Iphone 6s, the service is pretty fast. Now, sometimes when browsing online, the wifi hangs up 1/4 of the way. Then what I have to do is go into my settings, look at the wifi network I'm connected to (which says FULL bar service).. then go back to Safari and BOOM the page loads up finally.. 

The same thing occurs when I'm connected to the Belkin N750 "access point". It has great service when it wants to but it will, again, hang up on loading pages... then have to go through settings, view my network (only view, not select another network)... and again the page loads up afterwards.

Now, most can say it's my phone, but I can assure that it is not because when my N750 was the main router - I'd NEVER have to go to my settings this often and this consistently.

As far as wired internet service, it's blazing fast with no hangups at all.. but who cares? Most people use wifi in the house, the only thing connected to the router are my PC's and my consoles - that's it. The Belkin did the job for a few years, however the only issue I ran into was that the wifi coverage would be full bar service - BUT for some reason the router needed restarting and THEN the internet would work. That was also by wired network. But now as an access point, I wouldn't expect it to be THIS intermittent and I believe it's the WRT's fault...

So now I'm here debating -- should I keep the Linksys WRT1900AC? Should I return and get the WRT1900ACS (newer model)?.. Should I get the WRT1200AC and set that up as an access point so everything is "Linksys"?

Or...  Should I just "downgrade" in price and get the ASUS AC66U? I'm currently getting one off ebay as I speak since I might as well have a "backup".  I don't need the better AC68U as my internet speeds are only about 28Mbps downloading and 5-6 Mbps uploading -- perfect for web browsing, streaming and gaming. Never had an issue before with the Belkin N750 in that case, just intermittent issues.

What do you guys think? One day during the summer I will be moving in with my fiance, so I know I'll need a quality network so.. Maybe keep the Linksys for that? Return it? 

Is there a way I can really test out the wifi and see if it's really the WRT's fault? If that's hanging up for sure?? maybe firmware? Remember it's the AC version and refurbished, not the new ACS -- which are barely any reviews for compared to the over 400 reviews for the AC66U on newegg. Doug from CNET obviously recommends most routers, so that doesn't help lol

Please guys, input is much appreciated

Also forgot to add -- I never updated the firmware, nor do I remember if I had checked through the online software/setup.. So I will do that later today probably and test

and in addition to that lol... I don't know if my WRT1900AC is v1 or v2. Updates soon on that as well, and perhaps I could upload new firmware from OpenWRT

The 1900AC should be a pretty good router/AP for anyone and I haven't read of any huge problems with them.

So my question would be. When you have these issues, how far away from the router/AP are you? What kind of obstacles are in the way? And are you on 2.4 or 5GHz?

You also only mentioned having issues on one device. Do any other devices have issues on this network?

The only devices that use this network are:

Wireless:

Iphone 6s (mine)

another 6s 

Iphone 5 

Original Ipad

Ipad mini 2

Apple TV

Xbox One

Wired:

PC

Xbox 360

Not all devices are used at the same time - if anything, mine and the original Ipad which my mom watches TV from - and that hangs up all the time when it's connected to the Belkin.

The phones are used throughout the house but mostly upstairs. Thinking about it now, I don't think the Linksys' wifi is really that bad -- it could have better range but perhaps it's the location. However, the Belkin N750 which is also upstairs, I ALWAYS have to go into my settings to see if I have service - then go back and the page loads when browsing or youtubing.

The Linksys is downstairs and to reach upstairs - it has to pass through wood wall panels, wood foundation, wood floor. The antennas are spread out to "cover" the house, or what I expect -- but that's why I have the "access point" upstairs. 

I'm going to have to record my distance and findings. Typically the 2.4 ghz band is used. One thing I noticed with the Linksys, is when viewing wifi networks on my phone - the Belkin 5ghz band shows up immediately, but the LInksys 5ghz band shows up after about 5 seconds - like as if my phone couldn't find it immediately.

I never have any issues when I facetime but I don't think i've ever checked which network and which band I'm on - and it's usually at night so no other devices are being used at those moments.

Maybe the router is fine and just the access point sucks..