Is it just me? - Motherboard installation difficulty!

4ndromeda
Go to solution Solved by LawrenceBarnes2013,

As @typographie said, newer IO shields are made to provide even more contact between them and the mobo's rear IO, requires a bit of force but still, not brutal. Guess i'm the luckiest since i never used a case, test bench since ever :P .

Is it just me, or do other people have the same trouble I do when installing a motherboard to the case? Basically I get the standoffs installed & IO shield in place, everything looks great, but when I go to install the motherboard it seems extremely difficult to get the holes lined up on the board with the standoffs. The board won't go any further over to the left (the direction in needs to go of course). Am I doing something wrong here?

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Gene

Case: Xigmatek Aquila

2 minutes ago, 4ndromeda said:

Is it just me, or do other people have the same trouble I do when installing a motherboard to the case? Basically I get the standoffs installed & IO shield in place, everything looks great, but when I go to install the motherboard it seems extremely difficult to get the holes lined up on the board with the standoffs. The board won't go any further over to the left (the direction in needs to go of course). Am I doing something wrong here?

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Gene

Case: Xigmatek Aquila

Is the motherboard orientated correctly? FOr me, the hardest thing is the IO shield and heatsink.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Is the motherboard orientated correctly? FOr me, the hardest thing is the IO shield and heatsink.

Well yeah, there's only one way the board can go. The holes & standoffs are out of alignment (by the looks of it) but a couple of mm, maybe?

New I/O shields are often very springy. Make sure the fins on the shield are flexing enough to let the board poke through. Personally, I find installing the motherboard to be one of the toughest and most stressful parts of the whole build. I'm always terrified I'm going to scrape it on the standoffs.

it requires a bit of force to push the motherboard against the IO plate, best to push hard and try get a middle screw in to hold it in place

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As @typographie said, newer IO shields are made to provide even more contact between them and the mobo's rear IO, requires a bit of force but still, not brutal. Guess i'm the luckiest since i never used a case, test bench since ever :P .

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Thanks everyone for the advice & reassurance :) The board is now installed, albeit with 3 screws not screwed in (top left, top middle & middle) which I think is acceptable as it's a horizontal config rather than the traditional vertical. Top left & top middle screws weren't installed due to the standoffs being too far out of alignment (only half the standoff visible) & the middle one because only 7 standoffs were supplied & the board as 8 holes... go figure xD

Going from an Enthoo Primo to an Aqualis is a bit of a size difference to get used to to say the least!

Yeah that happens to me sometimes, but you should do it one screw at a time and then shift or turn it slightly then put the next one in.