Skylake or i7 4790K ???

Hi

I do not know which CPU I should buy.

I am going for something good, but not too expensive. I will play in high quality (or ultra) and not video editing. It should preferably be cheap - but also good (like the i7 4790K) but Skylake is better.

There are some options:

1. Intel i7 4790K

2. The newest Skylake (about 40 € more expensive)

3. An Intel i5 processor?? (If you recommend one, I will look on it)

If you have some good advice: IT MUST BE INTEL - I do not like AMD.

hope you will help me :)

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Go for a I5 6500 if you do not overclock

Go for a 6600k if you do

^Agree

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

hows price differece between skylake and haswell refresh for you?

i'd personally recommend either an i5 6400 (skylake), or if theres a significant price difference, the i5 4460 (haswell)

performance wise they're pretty much the same, but the 6400 is more energy efficient, and is a more modern platform (with all the benefits that brings)

if it comes down to you having to get a lower spec part somewhere else, get the 4460, if the difference isnt big enough to cause a disturbance elsewhere, get a 6400.

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Go for a I5 6500 if you do not overclock

Go for a 6600k if you do

okey I look on 6600K. (I will overclock)

Just now, The_Malevolence said:

(I will overclock)

then 6600k will most likely be your best bet. certainly seeing that the skylake K parts seem to overclock better than haswell generally does.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

then 6600k will most likely be your best bet. certainly seeing that the skylake K parts seem to overclock better than haswell generally does.

Okey. thanks

4790k . . . if you can find a mobo that you like cheap enough. I only go this route because i7>i5 for around the same price point as a 6600k when you factor in a MOBO and likely DDR4 ram. If you absolutely want the latest, sure go with the 6600k, but the devil's canyon is a mighty great chip. Mine hits 5.0ghz with 1.35v stable. . .

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

57 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

4790k . . . if you can find a mobo that you like cheap enough. I only go this route because i7>i5 for around the same price point as a 6600k when you factor in a MOBO and likely DDR4 ram. If you absolutely want the latest, sure go with the 6600k, but the devil's canyon is a mighty great chip. Mine hits 5.0ghz with 1.35v stable. . .

Here is a comparison:

i7 6700K Skylake: € 402 clock: 4 GHz overclock: 0.2 GHz more
i5 6600K Skylake: € 295 clock: 3.5 GHz overclock: 0.4 GHz more
i7 4790K Devil's Canyon: € 376 clock: 4 GHz overclock: 0.4 GHz more

The i7 4790K can be overclocked most.
Should I buy i5 for money, or i7 4790K for the overclocking?

Only you know your exact needs. We can only give you the options and reasons for each. If you plan to OC - plan a good cooler with it as well.

5 minutes ago, The_Malevolence said:

Here is a comparison:

i7 6700K Skylake: € 402 clock: 4 GHz overclock: 0.2 GHz more
i5 6600K Skylake: € 295 clock: 3.5 GHz overclock: 0.4 GHz more
i7 4790K Devil's Canyon: € 376 clock: 4 GHz overclock: 0.4 GHz more

The i7 4790K can be overclocked most.
Should I buy i5 for money, or i7 4790K for the overclocking?

Honestly, I'd go with i7 4790k and overclock. Unless of course you have enough cash to get newer Skylake platform, cos why not. Either way, I'd go with i7 over i5. That's coming from someone who's been using an i5 4690k (oc'd to 4,5GHz) for almost 1,5 year. Just for gaming it's fine, but try doing something else in the background, watching twitch etc. and the i5 will fall short.

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

14 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

Only you know your exact needs. We can only give you the options and reasons for each. If you plan to OC - plan a good cooler with it as well.

yeah, you're right.     

( I want to overclock in the future.)

17 minutes ago, johnnysasaki said:

Honestly, I'd go with i7 4790k and overclock. Unless of course you have enough cash to get newer Skylake platform, cos why not. Either way, I'd go with i7 over i5. That's coming from someone who's been using an i5 4690k (oc'd to 4,5GHz) for almost 1,5 year. Just for gaming it's fine, but try doing something else in the background, watching twitch etc. and the i5 will fall short.

thank you for you say that!

I have an extra monitor available that I will use for example programs and so on.

(incredible overclock with your i5)

The i5-6600k will be your best price to performance chip, even at 3.7 GHz stock it's pretty close to a 4.2 GHz stock i7-4790k.

1 hour ago, reptileexperts said:

http://valid.x86.fr/xka6q3

This was before I was able to get the voltage down a bit

Damn dude. Can I have it? 

It takes me 1.540v to get 5ghz, but that is on a 5960X...

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The i5-6600k will be your best price to performance chip, even at 3.7 GHz stock it's pretty close to a 4.2 GHz stock i7-4790k.

and by pretty close you mean 500 MHz slower ;-) lets not kid ourselves. The new chipset is nice and will offer some benefits like DDR4 Ram, and more PCI-E lanes (if I recall correctly) however, it does not magically change the performance definition of what is and is not a mhz. Nor can an i5 do as an i7 in terms of hyperthreading and such...

18 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Damn dude. Can I have it? 

It takes me 1.540v to get 5ghz, but that is on a 5960X...

Negative. :-) but you can buy them pre-selected from the silicon lottery website I believe

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

#1 4790k stock is 4ghz

#2 Skylake does not have 13% more ipc than haswell it is more like 10%. Of course, Skylake does tend to overclock a bit better. If he overclocks the 6600k will outperform the 4790k in single threaded performance, which is what matters.

If you ask me, you should get a 6600k. Gives you a nice upgrade path too (you could get a Kaby Lake or Cannonlake i7 in the future if you need something better).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

Negative. :-) but you can buy them pre-selected from the silicon lottery website I believe

They don't bin up to 5ghz right now. It's OK though, I'll be fine with my CPU, haha. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

7 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

and by pretty close you mean 500 MHz slower ;-) lets not kid ourselves. The new chipset is nice and will offer some benefits like DDR4 Ram, and more PCI-E lanes (if I recall correctly) however, it does not magically change the performance definition of what is and is not a mhz. Nor can an i5 do as an i7 in terms of hyperthreading and such...

I'm saying Skylake does more with each clock cycle, which it would have to for it to be close to a Haswell i7 clocked 13.5% higher.

Yeah the hyperthreading is nice though, so the i7-6700k would be even better than the i5-6600k for gaming.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

#1 4790k stock is 4ghz

That's only the base clock though. When at stock settings the 4790k will boost to 4.2 GHz in quadcore loads.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's only the base clock though. When at stock settings the 4790k will boost to 4.2 GHz in quadcore loads.

Oh that's what you meant gotcha

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

32 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

4.2 in single Core loads. Why would it run MORE cores faster and LESS cores slower?

Any PSU is modular if you try hard enough....