Random Green and Black Screens (may need to be moved to OS.)

cc143

I was watching the new LTT video on youtube when all of a sudden, both monitors started showing nothing, the main monitor displaying a plain Green Screen and the secondary monitor a black screen. 

After rebooting, the pc was fine, until a couple of minutes ago, when it black screened while I was watching a series in amazon prime. 

There seems to be no issue with normal use, I have not tried native video playback or gaming just yet, 

There was no problem with the pc as of last night and the only change that has occured is this morning's windows update, I can't be sure if that is the culprit or not, but I can't exactly think of anything else that could be at fault. 

My pc specs are in my signature and I have only done a mild o/c on the CPU, I have not yet felt the need to do something permanent with the GPU. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

(PS I seem to be unable to post in the OS forum so I have posted here. If a mod thinks this is not the correct subforum then please move this thread as you see fit. Thank you.)

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

drivers?

(PS post in troubleshooting)

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

drivers?

(PS post in troubleshooting)

First thing I checked, the only driver available for download has to do with VR, Its being installed right now. 

I also tried BF4 (for 2 mins or something like that) and I have not had the issue thus far.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

3 minutes ago, cc143 said:

First thing I checked, the only driver available for download has to do with VR, Its being installed right now. 

I also tried BF4 (for 2 mins or something like that) and I have not had the issue thus far.

maybe it's gone?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Have you noticed any problems with the GPU? I feel like that could be the cause of the issue. Maybe you could try stress testing it?

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

14 minutes ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

Have you noticed any problems with the GPU? I feel like that could be the cause of the issue. Maybe you could try stress testing it?

I have been going at it harder than usual this weekend, but still for me that' like 6 hours of gameplay in total or something over 3 days, not that dramatic considering other people's usage. 

That said, I have just installed Crysis 3, and have had no problem running it on ultra with my monitor's 60hz refresh rate being the bottleneck! (@1080p obviously.) 

The GPU seems fine, and it would be unlikely it dies after not even 3 months of use. 

What benchmark should I use to stress test? 

14 minutes ago, DXMember said:

maybe it's gone?

When I looked online all I could find was something with "netflix players", which is similar to my case since it happened both times while streaming media online (youtube and amazon) for around 8 minutes each time.  I have not yet tried doing so again. 

EDIT: This just happened once again while casually browsing the Web. 

10 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I have been going at it harder than usual this weekend, but still for me that' like 6 hours of gameplay in total or something over 3 days, not that dramatic considering other people's usage. 

That said, I have just installed Crysis 3, and have had no problem running it on ultra with my monitor's 60hz refresh rate being the bottleneck! (@1080p obviously.) 

The GPU seems fine, and it would be unlikely it dies after not even 3 months of use. 

What benchmark should I use to stress test? 

Aida64 or Unigine's Heaven? That's what LMG uses.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

There now seems to be artifacting on the bottom part of the main display when scrolling in pages with a white background, this doesn't happen when in video playback though.

Heaven seems to run OK, I run it alone for 2-3 minutes and then the benchmark which run for 4.30 minutes, and got a score in the high  2600s. Max fps 260, min fps 9.1.

Artifacting was not present during the benchmark at all, but still persists when scrolling here for instance. 

The GPU however was very laid back, never went above 70 degrees and rarely dipped below 100 fps.