ASUS Digi+ Power Control Off at 4.6Ghz or Higher?

Go to solution Solved by Ben_Upde,

It changes because the power requirements for 4.6Ghz and beyond is higher than the optimized settings allow for. The choices for CPU power phase control are; Auto, Standard, Optimized, Extreme. If your setting is Auto then it will choose which setting range is appropriate for your overclock. If you set it manually to optimized, you may run into stability issues. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just monitor temperatures regularly to ensure nothing is getting too hot. 

Edit - the CPU power phase setting is a sub menu under the Digi+ Vrm menu in the A I Tweaker tab. 

ASUS Skylake users: What's the deal with Digi+ Power Control from ASUS AI Suite 3 for my ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard?

I manually overclocked my 6700K and up to 4.5Ghz @1.35V and the Optimized Phase status stays On, like shown the screen capture below. If I overclock any higher to 4.6Ghz or 4.7Ghz the Optimized Phase is turned off. I don't understand what causes that and if I should be concerned?

digi.jpg.abf1af76b40fc1c92df89972c54a41a

BTW, I'm manually overclocking in the UEFI BIOS. I just use AI Suite for general monitoring and fan speed/temp profiling. I want to overclock at 4.6GHZ but that 'Optimized Phase' being off at that speed bugs me. I can force it on but after rebooting it goes to Off again.

10 minutes ago, Steve N. Mavronis said:

BTW, I'm manually overclocking in the UEFI BIOS. I just use AI Suite for general monitoring and fan speed/temp profiling. I want to overclock at 4.6GHZ but that 'Optimized Phase' being off at that speed bugs me. I can force it on but after rebooting it goes to Off again.

Have you tried turning it on when in the UEFI?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Have you tried turning it on when in the UEFI?

I'd have to try it again but I remember checking that and it was on in UEFI, unless a sub-option relating to the optimized phase was off. But even so why would an overclock multiplier change to 46 or 47 affect that? When I experimented with the AI Suite's software 5-way optimization it got up to a stable 4.7Ghz but the memory overclock was low. Then I noticed the optimized phase was off. I manually tried 47 and 46 and it stays off unless I drop lower to a 4.5Ghz overclock. Instead I had wanted to use 4.6Ghz with my memory at 3200 Mhz both at 1.35V. 

1 minute ago, Steve N. Mavronis said:

I'd have to try it again but I remember checking that and it was on, unless a sub-option relating to the optimized phase was off. But even so why would an overclock multiplier change to 46 or 47 affect that? When I experimented with the AI Suite's software 5-way optimization it got up to a stable 4.7 Ghz but the memory overclock was low. Then I noticed the optimized phase was off. I manually tried 47 and 46 and it stays off unless I stay lower at 4.5 Ghz.

Doing a quick search(I haven't dealt with this issue. My motherboard does offer the feature, but I didn't use AI Suite to make permanent system changes. Only the UEFI), I haven't found anything on it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Doing a quick search(I haven't dealt with this issue. My motherboard does offer the feature, but I didn't use AI Suite to make permanent system changes. Only the UEFI), I haven't found anything on it.

Right same here. I only tested with an AI Suite overclock just to see what it does and afterwards reset my UEFI to optimized defaults and manually overclocked instead.

3 minutes ago, Steve N. Mavronis said:

Right same here. I only tested with an AI Suite overclock just to see what it does and afterwards reset my UEFI to optimized defaults and manually overclocked instead.

Try reducing your overclock, turning it on in the UEFI, and then putting the overclock back to see if it automatically turns off again.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Try reducing your overclock, turning it on in the UEFI, and then putting the overclock back to see if it automatically turns off again.

It's on right now at 4.5Ghz overclock and Digi+ Optimized Phase is on. I'll test later this evening or tomorrow at 4.6Ghz again and see what the UEFI says vs the AI Suite monitoring status.

It changes because the power requirements for 4.6Ghz and beyond is higher than the optimized settings allow for. The choices for CPU power phase control are; Auto, Standard, Optimized, Extreme. If your setting is Auto then it will choose which setting range is appropriate for your overclock. If you set it manually to optimized, you may run into stability issues. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just monitor temperatures regularly to ensure nothing is getting too hot. 

Edit - the CPU power phase setting is a sub menu under the Digi+ Vrm menu in the A I Tweaker tab. 

i7 6700k||Asus Z170-A||Powercolor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB||Bitfenix Prodigy M||16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4||Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD||Corsair CX850M power supply||Silverstone Tundra Series TD02-E AIO CPU cooling