Mini Editing Desktop Build

Hey all! Need some advice,

I'm considering building an mini desktop for primarily video editing. And I'm looking for advice on what to look for in specs, what things should I spend more on, a GPU, Ram, is DDR4 worth the extra cost? etc. I'm also on a $1200 budget. Suggestions in things like cases, whats the best CPU for editing, where is the best place to get parts... amazon, newegg? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

DDR4 comes only with some cpus

When you say mini, do you mean just a mini form factor or will mid tower suffice? 

Parts come from where ever the deal are

GPU should probably cost more than cpu for editing, ram at that bugest i would say 12 or 16gb of a decent quality (I'm a ripjaw fan)

Skylake is in that budget but you could also go for a a 8/12 core amd FX and get a better gpu and other specs if its just rendering and editing.  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

As for CPU for Video-Editing, I will have to agree with RedWulf and say that the more cores the better, and overclocking will definitely be necessary. This is probably they one time you will need something other than an i7-4770k for a CPU choice.

For cases, I am also not sure what you consider Mini , and am not able to recommend a case, but if we're going for a nice form-factor, I would recommend something from BitFenix. They look very professional, and are very small in form.

Best place to get parts, if you're going online, I would say Amazon.com, Newegg has some really crazy prices for some products.

*p.s. if you are going with a mini form-factor, you will definetly want to precisely measure all the products and make sure they fit. You can't just go with whatever you like or something that looks nice.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dWxzbv

I didn't plave a mini-itx or mini-atx case simply because I doubt the cramping is worth the space and this way you can easily upgrade, add storage, and double sli later on. 

Also, I would change the mobo based on you needs for slots and sata

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

First of all, wow that was fast!

When I say mini, I mean about as small as I can get, I'm planning on moving this about once a week, which is why I would get a laptop if a desktop weren't cheaper for the power. If I were to get DDR4, what Intel CPUs would you recommend? 

4 minutes ago, Consoledotlog said:

First of all, wow that was fast!

When I say mini, I mean about as small as I can get, I'm planning on moving this about once a week, which is why I would get a laptop if a desktop weren't cheaper for the power. If I were to get DDR4, what Intel CPUs would you recommend? 

The performance difference between DDR3 and DDR4 is very small, if it even exists.

I would suggest these combos, depending on what you need:

- Intel Xeon 1231v3 with a H97 or B85 board and DDR3

- Intel i7 4790K with a Z97 board and DDR3

- Intel i7 5820K with an X99 board and DDR4

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

30 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dWxzbv

I didn't plave a mini-itx or mini-atx case simply because I doubt the cramping is worth the space and this way you can easily upgrade, add storage, and double sli later on. 

Also, I would change the mobo based on you needs for slots and sata

Thanks so much for the part list, and a quick question about the HHD, should I look for one at a higher rpm or does that not noticeably effect the read/write speed?  Another question, I really don't want to water cool since I'll be moving this a lot, so would this system as is run stable without it? Also, am I dumb or did they forget to stick some kind of display port on the motherboard? Duh, I would be using a graphics card.... 

11 minutes ago, Consoledotlog said:

Thanks so much for the part list, and a quick question about the HHD, should I look for one at a higher rpm or does that not noticeably effect the read/write speed?  Another question, I really don't want to water cool since I'll be moving this a lot, so would this system as is run stable without it? Also, am I dumb or did they forget to stick some kind of display port on the motherboard? Duh, I would be using a graphics card.... 

The higher rpm isnt directly proportionate to the speeds by any means, but with the hdd its up to your personal cost/performance balance. WWD blue is cheaap and reliable but other hdds are made for video editing or higher performance in general. But with a larger ssd you can keep current projects and the programs on it for speed then move smaller files, random stuff, and old stf to the hdd.

Some MoBos don't have video out at all, most the time it's unnecessary.

You won't need water cooled, I wouldn't use the stock cooler though as overclocking and 8 cores can run pretty hot. 

There are cases made to move and water cooling isn't immobile especially an AIO. 

you can use pcpartpicker and find a mobo in mini-itx form that suites you then pick a mini-itx case as well.  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

We forgot to add, if you weren't already planning on it.

wait for the new CPUs/GPUs to drop as all the others will get cheaper, then you can get higher grade parts at the same budget or even a zen. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet... want the best CPU for the money? Just get a Xeon 2670 on Ebay for like $80, and pair it with a nice X79 motherboard. Those Xeons are absolute monsters with 8 cores and 16 threads!

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!