Amazon Question

DevoChip

I want to buy peripherals online with my own money. Will Amazon require a signature at certain point in money? Like If I spend 150, will it require a signature, because my parents would wrekt me if they find out. 

why would they be mad? it's your money.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

41 minutes ago, DevoChip said:

I want to buy peripherals online with my own money. Will Amazon require a signature at certain point in money? Like If I spend 150, will it require a signature, because my parents would wrekt me if they find out. 

Question , Have you ever done online shopping ?

(⌐■_■) 

No, but they ship it to your house. What if you're not there when they deliver it? I'd also check the ToS for the account; you might not even be allowed to get one at that age. Though I doubt they'd really be able to find out.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Also "wrekt" isn't a word, and if it were slang you still used the wrong tense.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

In many countries it is illegal for underage people to shop online. Please make sure you can, otherwise why not try and have a civilized discussion with your parent? It's not like amazon will scam you or anything.

I did buy a qck heavy, and managed to get it without my parents noticing. No signature was req. I am paying by gift cards.

from the amazon site

YOUR ACCOUNT

If you use any Amazon Service, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account or password. Amazon does sell products for children, but it sells them to adults, who can purchase with a credit card or other permitted payment method. If you are under 18, you may use the Amazon Services only with involvement of a parent or guardian. Alcohol listings on Amazon are intended for adults. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase alcohol, or use any site functionality related to alcohol. Amazon reserves the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, remove or edit content, or cancel orders in its sole discretion.

if they will actually check if you are 18 that's a different story. this statement is there to protect them from parents who will try to return the stuff that their kids buy without their knowledge, pretty much covering their butt stating you should have known better when you created the account.

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

You can buy stuff on amazon if you are under 18 and have access to a credit or debit card, or paypal. When the package arrives, someone will have to sign for it, but that is just so that you can't claim it didn't turn up afterwards, because now they have your signature on a form saying it did arrive, you can be any age and sign for the delivery of a parcel as far as I know, no one really cares about that. When the parcel shows up, your parents might find it and be annoyed, but at that point who cares, unless they make you send it back.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

4 minutes ago, DevoChip said:

I did buy a qck heavy, and managed to get it without my parents noticing.

Your guide on: How to piss off your parents and making them never trust you again!

Just kidding though but in all seriousness this probably wasn't such a great idea.

2 minutes ago, DevoChip said:

I did buy a qck heavy, and managed to get it without my parents noticing.

i personally feel if my son earned his money to buy something then he can do what he wants. i would prefer he lets me know though. it just up to you if your parents find what you bought then decide to actually look up the price then you will have to figure out an explanation, but to answer your question amazon wont check your age unless you give them a reason to. for example order a r-rated movie on the streaming app, order alcohol, tobacco etc. 

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

6 minutes ago, DevoChip said:

I did buy a qck heavy, and managed to get it without my parents noticing. No signature was req. I am paying by gift cards.

Just now, Loleo said:

Your guide on: How to piss off your parents and making them never trust you again!

Just kidding though but in all seriousness this probably wasn't such a great idea.

It's a £20 mouse mat, how is that going to annoy your parents.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, papapoi said:

i personally feel if my son earned his money to buy something then he can do what he wants. i would prefer he lets me know though. it just up to you if your parents find what you bought then decide to actually look up the price then you will have to figure out an explanation, but to answer your question amazon wont check your age unless you give them a reason to. for example order a r-rated movie on the streaming app, order alcohol, tobacco etc. 

Yeah this. Also if your son just went about buying from all kinds off different websites there could be some potential risks. He might get scammed, when caught up in the moment it might be hard to realize something is off and when younger it's even harder. How is he purchasing online? if you let him use your credit card for instance he might get tempted to do it again even without your permission and that can happen to the best of us. And Swedish law states that you must be of 18 years old to make purchases online (some exceptions including money you've earned yourself when you're 16 years old). These laws are here to simply protect citizens from getting scammed, tricked and such.

30 minutes ago, DevoChip said:

I am 14, and I want to buy peripherals online with my own money. Will Amazon require a signature at certain point in money? Like If I spend 150, will it require a signature, because my parents would wrekt me if they find out. 

Why don't you just get it price matched at bestbuy? Also the way you phrase the question makes me question if this is really your money... Not trying to be rude but.

5 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Bruh , 20 quid mouse mat isnt something to taken lightly. BEcasue there are mouse mats for 5 quid or even free , They will question him why he didnt just get a cheap or free mouse mat in the first place. 

(⌐■_■) 

Just now, Ridska said:

Bruh , 20 quid mouse mat isnt something to taken lightly. BEcasue there are mouse mats for 5 quid or even free , They will question him why he didnt just get a cheap or free mouse mat in the first place. 

But why didn't he?

28 minutes ago, terrytek said:

why would they be mad? it's your money.

Im guessing '' his money '' is his fathers money.

Not to be rude FTR.

(⌐■_■) 

5 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Trust I guess, but he said he was going to purchase something for 150 euros or something. Also legal side of things and how did he pay for it? Their credit card or did he have a card redeemed bought IRL? I can see some possible reasons to why this might start conflict with his parents.

1 minute ago, TheRomanSenate said:

But why didn't he?

Ask him , Not me.

Hell , I spend 50 euros on a mouse mat because the gov pay's me to go to school

(⌐■_■) 

39 minutes ago, DevoChip said:

I am 14, and I want to buy peripherals online with my own money. Will Amazon require a signature at certain point in money? Like If I spend 150, will it require a signature, because my parents would wrekt me if they find out. 

Amazon is a bit complicated, as you have amazon shipping you stuff, and also other companies doing business through Amazon, and under that case, amazon doesn't handle the shipments, so if you need to sign or not, varies. There is no way to know if you'll need to sign or not. But if it shipped by Amazon, then expect to sign.

You need to use credit card to buy online, and believe me, your parents will know. They'll get a nice credit card paper saying where their credit card or yours, was used, and how much was spent at that particular place. And yes, they'll check, as it a requirement to detect fraud as they need to pay it, and need to pay the bills. They might also see it online at their bank account, even if it your credit card as you are minor. So even if they don't receive the credit card statement, they know that they need to pay the bills, and will find out through the bank website.

Basically, what I am saying, is that if you think you can by-pass your parents buying online, good luck, it won't work.

I don't know what you plan to buy, or care, but if I was you, I would ask your parents, even if its "something silly". While they might say no, they'll trust you more, and see you as responsible person in the future. If they find out, and they will, than don't think it will be quickly ignored. It will follow you for years, and have difficulties trusting you, something that will take time to rebuild, even though it is "technically your money".

It is not that your parent hates you, it is the simple fact that they believe, from their experience, that it is not a good purchase. Money can be put elsewhere for the better.

If it because they are afraid of online, than it is what it is. They have their reasons, and you should respect that. It is true that online is not a safe haven where you all secure and everything is nice. If there is a fraud, depending on the cost, it can be a headache for your parents to solve, and I am talking about months. You think that the bank will close their eyes on a 10,000$ purchase? even a 1000$ they'll do a full on investigation, and police reports will need to be filled and so on. It is serious.

So, so what you want, but I would strongly advice, even if what I mentioned as possible guessing situation on why they don't allow you, and I am totally wrong, to not to.

And even if you manage to by-pass your parents, they'll notice one day or another a new item. They'll notice, because you have no idea how much they care about you, even if at times, it might not seem like it.

P.S: Spending 20$ on a mouse mat, I can guaranty you that in 1-2 years from now, you'll do a nice face palm, and go "Worst, decision, ever".

Unless there is a specific need for a fancy mouse mat. Mouse mat is nothing more than decoration. Usually you want to upgrade your mouse first for improved tracking, If your fancy expensive mouse still has issues, then sure, you can do research on what is the right mouse mat for your needs and your mouse. If you don't have a fancy mouse, then trust me, a free mat is all you need if you need improved tracking.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You need to use credit card to buy online, and believe me, your parents will know. They'll get a nice credit card paper saying where their credit card or yours, was used, and how much was spent at that particular place.

Not true, you can shop online using paypal, directly linked to a debit card or current account, which can be set up in a Minor's name with all contact being sent confidentially to the minor. I've had a bank account with a current account, fully under my control since I was 16 I think.

Look , Here is some advice ,

Do online shopping in a very lightly manner , Meaning dont buy so much stuff from online , We are talking like 1-2 items from online per year.

Im in a situation where if i buy anything from online , I am fucked because of my previous online shopping mania spree.Online shopping should be a very last last last last last last last last last last last last last last last  LAST RESORT !!!!!!!! 

Go and buy from IRL shops. 

(⌐■_■) 

2 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Not true, you can shop online using paypal, directly linked to a debit card or current account, which can be set up in a Minor's name with all contact being sent confidentially to the minor. I've had a bank account with a current account, fully under my control since I was 16 I think.

PayPal requires you a credit card. Buying with a debit card is the most retarded thing a person can do, and should not be an option anywhere. Ok sending money in an envelop is worst, but you are asking trouble. And regardless, it will show on the bank statement that a transaction was done.

10 minutes ago, Loleo said:

Yeah this. Also if your son just went about buying from all kinds off different websites there could be some potential risks. He might get scammed, when caught up in the moment it might be hard to realize something is off and when younger it's even harder. How is he purchasing online? if you let him use your credit card for instance he might get tempted to do it again even without your permission and that can happen to the best of us. And Swedish law states that you must be of 18 years old to make purchases online (some exceptions including money you've earned yourself when you're 16 years old). These laws are here to simply protect citizens from getting scammed, tricked and such.

my point is that kids will do what they want no matter how much you try to police them, thats why i said that i prefer that he let me know, not that he always does. everyone has to make choices in their life ,good or bad, thats just life, if he gets caught then he has to deal with the consequences. i am not his parent and neither are you. so all we can do is give our thoughts on his question. 

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

PayPal requires you a credit card. Buying with a debit card is the most retarded thing a person can do, and should not be an option anywhere. Ok sending money in an envelop is worst, but you are asking trouble. And regardless, it will show on the bank statement that a transaction was done.

PayPal categorically does not require a credit card. Debit card is a better idea than credit card for people who are not good at managing their finances, as it makes it harder to spend over your limit. Yes it will show on the bank statement, but it is technically illegal for a parent to open confidential mail addressed to their child without their child's opinion, in the UK at least.