ALO Audio panam set

Wasabiz

Hey, my cousin is trying to sell me ALO audio Pan Am set (AMP + Gateway + Passport ) of headphone amps to me for $700 AUD.

I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend that much money on an audio equipment as I'm running an STX and Sennies HD 650s.

the only problem is that he's over at another country and I have no way to test how it sounds. To me, trying is believing. I've heard good things about this amp 

Should I take a leap of faith and believe what people are saying about this product? or should i wait it out and get it off him when I see him at the end of the year?

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

Personally I wouldn't.

But then I probably wouldn't even if I could hear it. The law of diminishing returns tends to kick in around $200/300 for audio quality. So you may end up paying for something your not really getting the most out of.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

*cough* o2/ODAC combo *cough*

The law of diminishing returns tends to kick in around $200/300 for audio quality

What's wrong with your STX?

Nothing is wrong with the STX, but apparently i would get a greater sound stage with the Pan Am because of the swappable tubes

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

Nothing is wrong with the STX, but apparently i would get a greater sound stage with the Pan Am because of the swappable tubes

No, that is a totally false statement. Tubes add distortion, not sound stage.

That's bs. I have a tube amp myself and love it, but they don't magically add nice words to the sound. If you want a tube amp for the looks, nostalgia, or that special tube distortion, go for it. But don't believe for a second that tubes are better than other amp technologies.

The O2 + ODAC would be the most anyone should ever need, even if they may want more.

That's bs. I have a tube amp myself and love it, but they don't magically add nice words to the sound. If you want a tube amp for the looks, nostalgia, or that special tube distortion, go for it. But don't believe for a second that tubes are better than other amp technologies.

The O2 + ODAC would be the most anyone should ever need, even if they may want more.

yeah, i've been eyeing that O2+ODAC combo for awhile... its $370AUD but not sure if its worth the money going from an STX

yeah, i've been eyeing that O2+ODAC combo for awhile... its $370AUD but not sure if its worth the money going from an STX

$370? That's really expensive. We have one available for almost $100 less.

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/objective2-amplifer-with-odac.html

The audio will be much better than the STX for sure, sound cards are not designed as well as hi-fi gear.

The audio will be much better than the STX for sure, sound cards are not designed as well as hi-fi gear.

holy cow haha thanks for the post. Now I need to consult my wallet and see if he's happy with this or not  <_<

But shipping, import taxes, etc.

Maybe not, the STX is good enough for HD 600/650 - they're supposedly one of the few headphones that work well on it.

That is with shipping, it's only $25. Import taxes are never that high or else no one would buy from me lol.

Can't argue with you on that particular sound card but in general sound cards are snake oil no matter what brand/version.