Phone suggestion for my dad?

gilm0re3

So my dad is becoming in need of a new phone. He is currently on a Motorola Moto G 1st gen 8gb, and that 8 gigs of storage is starting to become quite an issue. My dad uses Page Pius Wireless, so any new phone he would get needs to be a Verizon phone in order to work with PPW. I want to get him something that will last him for a decent amount of time, at least a year and a half to two years, and his budget is going to be probably somewhere around 200 dollars USD, but anything cheaper would be quite welcome. He uses his current phone mainly for phone calls and texts, as well as some emailing and miscellaneous productivity tasks like web browsing, but his primary machine is his laptop, so his phone doesn't have to be top of the line specs. What I've come up with as of right now is a refurbished Motorola Droid Turbo 1st gen, mainly because of the great performance of the battery which he definitely could use as he always seems to chew right through battery life. Also, since he's used only Motorola phones since he first got a smartphone, starting with a Droid X, then a Droid 3, then a previous Moto G 1st gen that died which was replaced by his current Moto G, I thought it would be probably a good choice to get him once again a smartphone with a near stock Android experience. On top of that, it's a previous gen flagship phone, so the performance would still be very respectable, especially for him being on a two generation old budget specced phone.  So what do you guys think? 

Thanks!

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Newegg has the refurb Galaxy S5 for $210. I'm not a huge fan of the UI, but it works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA95X3GR5437&cm_re=samsung_galaxy_s5-_-75-169-091-_-Product

They're decent phones with decent battery life, replaceable batteries and SD card slots to bring it up from 16 GB storage. 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

7 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

Newegg has the refurb Galaxy S5 for $210. I'm not a huge fan of the UI, but it works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA95X3GR5437&cm_re=samsung_galaxy_s5-_-75-169-091-_-Product

They're decent phones with decent battery life, replaceable batteries and SD card slots to bring it up from 16 GB storage. 

I personally don't want to subject my dad to the pains of TouchWiz, especially after being with Motorola for his past 3 smartphones. Also, I have never been a fan of Samsung hardware pre S6/Note 5, and I just feel that going from near stock to Touchwiz when my dad doesn't need a whole lot of bells and whistles and all sorts of extra crapware that Samsung likes to put on their phones would just be too much of a hassle when there are comparable smartphones on the market that are much better software wise. And that's not to say that the S5 is a bad phone, I just think that there are similar options that would make him happier for the same money.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Just now, gilm0re3 said:

I personally don't want to subject my dad to the pains of TouchWiz, especially after being with Motorola for his past 3 smartphones. Also, I have never been a fan of Samsung hardware pre S6/Note 5, and I just feel that going from near stock to Touchwiz when my dad doesn't need a whole lot of bells and whistles and all sorts of extra crapware that Samsung likes to put on their phones would just be too much of a hassle when there are comparable smartphones on the market that are much better software wise.

one plus x?

2 minutes ago, Zach TOm said:

one plus x?

I had played around with the idea of it. I personally have never been very fond of Oneplus's company as a whole, but they do make some fairly decent hardware. My main problem with it is it's supposed to be a techie's phone, and that giving it to my dad would possibly be a bad idea, especially when it comes to customer support should he have an issue with it.

2 hours ago, gilm0re3 said:

I personally don't want to subject my dad to the pains of TouchWiz, especially after being with Motorola for his past 3 smartphones. Also, I have never been a fan of Samsung hardware pre S6/Note 5, and I just feel that going from near stock to Touchwiz when my dad doesn't need a whole lot of bells and whistles and all sorts of extra crapware that Samsung likes to put on their phones would just be too much of a hassle when there are comparable smartphones on the market that are much better software wise.

That's the whole reason I went from a Galaxy SII to my Oneplus One. 

I mostly suggested it because they're one of the easiest phones to get help online about. 

I'm not apposed to the OPX (Obviously).

There are LG G3s (Refurb B+, so minor scratches) on Ebay for $140 shipping from the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-VS985-G3-32GB-Verizon-Wireless-4G-LTE-Android-Smartphone-/381197224956?var=&hash=item58c1200bfc:m:m0Y9ICTmkS3kFGgFY9YrgcQ

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

28 minutes ago, gilm0re3 said:

I had played around with the idea of it. I personally have never been very fond of Oneplus's company as a whole, but they do make some fairly decent hardware. My main problem with it is it's supposed to be a techie's phone, and that giving it to my dad would possibly be a bad idea, especially when it comes to customer support should he have an issue with it.

Zenfone 2?

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Zenfone 2?

Maybe. Once again, I'm no fan of Asus's software, but definitely not a bad phone for the price. Mainly what I'm looking for is a phone that would be a fairly seamless transition from the old phone to the new one, and from what I can tell, for the specs that you get with your money, a refurb Droid Turbo would do that fairly well.

Just now, gilm0re3 said:

Maybe. Once again, I'm no fan of Asus's software, but definitely not a bad phone for the price. Mainly what I'm looking for is a phone that would be a fairly seamless transition from the old phone to the new one, and from what I can tell, for the specs that you get with your money, a refurb Droid Turbo would do that fairly well.

if you want to go through the hassel, you can just wipe it and install cyanogen, its not that hard 

what about the moto G?

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

if you want to go through the hassel, you can just wipe it and install cyanogen, its not that hard 

what about the moto G?

I had been looking at that as well. Mainly, I feel like the Turbo would be a better option than even the 3rd gen Moto G because of the killer battery and it has some of last year's top of the line specs for basically the same price, if not a little cheaper.

Just now, gilm0re3 said:

I had been looking at that as well. Mainly, I feel like the Turbo would be a better option than even the 3rd gen Moto G because of the killer battery and it has some of last year's top of the line specs for basically the same price, if not a little cheaper.

whatever fits your budget, i suppose

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

whatever fits your budget, i suppose

Yep. If budget were no option, I would have him get a Nexus 6p no questions asked. But, he never likes to spend a whole lot on his smartphones, so either budget brand new phones or last years refurbed mid to high ends for him.

Just now, gilm0re3 said:

Yep. If budget were no option, I would have him get a Nexus 6p no questions asked. But, he never likes to spend a whole lot on his smartphones, so either budget brand new phones or last years refurbed mid to high ends for him.

swappa.com has some good used phones if you dont mind those, some last year high ends priced down to a decent price

Just now, Aytex said:

swappa.com has some good used phones if you dont mind those, some last year high ends priced down to a decent price

I had already been looking there. :D Thanks for the suggestion though!

What is your price budget?

Honestly, for my dad, I just bought him an iPhone. Anyone can use and learn how to use it and Apple support is definitely top notch.

If not, the 3rd Gen Moto G is great.

21 hours ago, EpicGeekonFire said:

What is your price budget?

Honestly, for my dad, I just bought him an iPhone. Anyone can use and learn how to use it and Apple support is definitely top notch.

If not, the 3rd Gen Moto G is great.

My dad's been on Android for even longer than I have been, so I don't see a reason to give him an iPhone when he is quite used to Android. Besides, I know I can find a good Android phone for cheaper than an iPhone. Right now I would say it's a decision between the Moto G 3rd gen and a used Droid Turbo.

I would try the samsung galaxy j5 its only like 150$