More GPU power or CPU power for video editing?

Hi,

So for a build I'm planning to help a friend with, we're trying to decide whether we need to have more GPU power than CPU power.

So yeah, we don't know if we should have 2/3x Titan X's and a i7-5960K or if we should have an xeon or maybe even two and just two 980 ti's.

Please take into consideration that he's doing all his video editing using 6x (yes, I know, overkill af) 4k monitors and all his footage and rendering is in 4k. 

So if you have any advice, please say.

CPU power is more important for 2d applications such as video editing. GPU power is needed more for 3d stuff.
Really depends what codec you use, some codecs benefit from more GPU power I think.

EDIT: one 980 ti should be enough, I don't think codecs support multi-gpu. spend the rest of the money on a xeon

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

4 minutes ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

-snip-

6 hdrelay-image-4k-logo-ultra-hd.png.d6c75 monitors!? Your friend must be running an underground drug or weapon smugling business XD? Patek Philippe watch too eh?

Anyways, rattacko123 said it all aha :p. Really comes down in what kind of scenarios your trying to render faster, 3D for graphical processors and 2D for moma processors or i mean the cpu.

Honestly i believe the 1 5960X and 3 Titan X's, will be a better bet, especially because thats 6 mah gawd monitors. At least theyr professionally calibrated 4k monitors eh? :P

Groomlake Authority

Couple Xeons could handle the task better, but then it's hard to find a reasonably priced motherboard that will support another two 980ti's (and ofc no SLI). The 5960x is a beast though and it should for the most part be pretty decent even at the toughest workloads.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

1 hour ago, rattacko123 said:

CPU power is more important for 2d applications such as video editing. GPU power is needed more for 3d stuff.
Really depends what codec you use, some codecs benefit from more GPU power I think.

EDIT: one 980 ti should be enough, I don't think codecs support multi-gpu. spend the rest of the money on a xeon

So many 2 titans and a xeon???

What would you recommend? He wants a lot of GPU power for his monitors and rendering (3d included). 

52 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

Couple Xeons could handle the task better, but then it's hard to find a reasonably priced motherboard that will support another two 980ti's (and ofc no SLI). The 5960x is a beast though and it should for the most part be pretty decent even at the toughest workloads.

So I'd be fine sticking with a 5960X and the 2/3 Titan X's?

Thanks for your input and PS. your name and picture is giving me nightmares.

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

-snip-

Yeah he's crazy when it comes to things being high quality... and then he got 6 of them and they are the good expensive ones. Thanks for your input :)

All in all I think sticking with the 3 Titans and a 5960X should be good once we figure it all out. I watched JayZ's video on his Skunkworks and he said the 5960X was bottlenecking. What could be a solution to this if this occurs?

Thanks everyone :) 

3 minutes ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

So I'd be fine sticking with a 5960X and the 2/3 Titan X's?

Thanks for your input and PS. your name and picture is giving me nightmares.

Oh I am sorry for that :) Yes I think you'd be more than fine actually, but I don't know the exact workflow of your friend so I can't tell you for sure.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

29 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

Oh I am sorry for that :) Yes I think you'd be more than fine actually, but I don't know the exact workflow of your friend so I can't tell you for sure.

Workflow? Like how he does things? He records a lot of 4K footage on a camera, puts it all on a computer with a lot of fast accessible storage and then uses Adobe editors like photoshop and illustrator to do image rendering and then uses Final Cut Pro extensively to create videos. I also think he uses Adobe after effects and other 3D rendering softwares. 

20 hours ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

So many 2 titans and a xeon???

I would go for a Xeon and 2 Titan X. Adobe programs and Final Cut Pro mostly use the cpu for the rendering, and you get diminishing returns with the more GPUs you get. 

Or you could go for Xeon and multiple 980 ti since the only advantage with the titan X is a 5% performance boost and 6GB more VRAM.

Does he use 3D programs more than Video editing programs?

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Just because they are expensive 4K monitors does not necessarily mean they are good or monitors with wide color gamut and accuracy that are suited for professional use.

As for GPU, a workstation GPU is better for 3D applications than consumer GPUs.

Honestly, I think you (the OP) and your friend are both clueless and wasting money.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

6 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Just because they are expensive 4K monitors does not necessarily mean they are good or monitors with wide color gamut and accuracy that are suited for professional use.

As for GPU, a workstation GPU is better for 3D applications than consumer GPUs.

He could just get a titan black if he wanted a proper workstation gpu. Or an AMD radeon if he wanted 10-bit colours.
Titan X is really good for the single precision stuff and video editing. AMD is good for photoshop (because of the 10-bit colours). Nvidia has not announced any 10-bit support for their consumer GPUs

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

But go ahead, feel free to spend all that money.  I'm sure the stores that sell those products and the corporations that manufacture them will be happy to take everything you can spend.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

10 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

He could just get a titan black if he wanted a proper workstation gpu. Or an AMD radeon if he wanted 10-bit colours.
Titan X is really good for the single precision stuff and video editing. AMD is good for photoshop (because of the 10-bit colours). Nvidia has not announced any 10-bit support for their consumer GPUs

I know that, but if you saw his other topic you will see what he and his friend are doing is extreme overkill and a waste of money.

Also to get 10-bit color, the monitor also has to be able to produce 10-bit color, very few consumer monitors are true 10-bit.  Fewer if they are 4K unless you spend at least $1000 each.

If they are video or 3D animators they can spend their money on buying other things like lenses or software or anything else that really improves what they can do than spending it all on a computer that has no actual performance return.

@ALwin, it's his money that he's getting from selling his past pc which was worth a lot more. He'll do what he likes with his money and you can't really stop him. He wants it overkill and for it to look good and he'll get it if he wants. We probably won't even spend the full money and probably around 8,500. Either way he's gaining a lot of profit from selling his other one.

Thank you for your input though.