as power efficient as possible.

basicly im looking at the idea of making a dedicated folding rig, i love tech/hardware related things but i never really have a justifiable reason to do things related to it, even when it comes to my own setup i won't buy the new part i want or upgrade something because i see that as a waste of resources.. i really need a proper reason to do it.

some form of distributed computing seems to give me a sufficient reason to start a new project, but i am really curious about what you guys reccomend to get the absolute most performance vs power drawn, i really want to get started on this and order the hardware soon, but i want it to be well thought out and as efficient/power efficient as possible.

you want to get a seperate pc for Boinc? it does not pay off enough for you to have one.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Haswell, a couple of 7950's and a platinum PSU would do you well, however these are going to be expensive.

Get it.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

you want to get a seperate pc for Boinc? it does not pay off enough for you to have one.

pay off? it's volunteer work, you do it because you want to, not because you will gain anything

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

pay off? it's volunteer work, you do it because you want to, not because you will gain anything

boinc is bitcoin mining, it gives you money, its not folding.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Haswell, a couple of 7950's and a platinum PSU would do you well, however these are going to be expensive.

how about a 4p solution? or is gpu really the way to go at this point?

last I checked bitcoin mining was very inefficient, the costs of electricity barely gets paid by the miner, IDK about currently though

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Boinc has nothing to do with mining

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

If your going for ppd per watt, 4P servers are still the way to go. 

Running 4 cpu's too earn about 300k to 500k pdd, you'll being only consuming any where between 600 to 800 watts.  (Last time I really looked into a 4P server).

To run a gpu system to get that near the same PPD, you're looking in that 1Kw+ consumption range. 

Only downside is that total cost of getting the hardware for a 4P system. yeah you could start off only getting 2 cpu's (and certain amount of memory to popular the dimms those cpu's are on), making it cheap in the short-term and add on it later but if you already got a system, adding a gpu just for folding would be far cheaper and easier.

Now if your crafty like whaler was with his 4P system, you can find way to make the total cost lower. Mainly finding used parts and modding other parts (such as cases that wouldn't normally hold that MB but has the space to fit it or making cpu coolers work on cpu with wouldn't normally support it.)

Negative!

Boinc is much closer to F@H than bitcoin.

Boinc does a veriaty of research project that you do that included medical, geo-mapping and much more.  Nothing in boinc that I'm aware of generate "profit" like Bitcoin.

Even though I dont do anything for boinc, this is what I know of them when I looked into it.

Boinc: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Bitcoin: http://bitcoin.org/en/

so this part of the LTT forums is called "Folding@home, Boinc and Coin Mining" just for the lulz?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

so this part of the LTT forums is called "Folding@home, Boinc and Coin Mining" just for the lulz?

i thought boinc was bitcoin mining, i was wrong, sorry.

This thread has me all sorts of confused... I read it earlier and was confused.. I come back and I'm still confused lol

Does the OP want to use his soon to be dedicated hardware in an attempt to advance scientific discoveries for various organizations?

Or is he looking to advance the global economy and help move away from reliance on the slow, high fee, archaic central banking system?

Of course power efficiency and running costs are a concern for both, but unless we know exactly what you intend to do, it's hard to recommend anything outside of a platinum rated PSU.

This section on the forum covers three individual things.

Folding at home is a process of simulating proteins and how they fold to help advance science. It is however closed source and the project of a single university (stanford) Non-profit

Boinc is similar to folding in that it runs simulations, however I found it's more "open", and covers different areas of discovery along with different diseases. It's the project of a single university as well (berkeley) Non-profit

"Coin mining" covers all bases of cryptocurrencies from Litecoin to Bitcoin and beyond. With the acts of acquiring, using, spending, speculating or just general hording. It is fully open source and entirely different from the above. It looks towards a free, equal, and seamless exchange of value anywhere in the world outside the control of governments. Profit.. sort of, it's helping to build the foundation an amazing new protocol for transferring value in a similar comparison of Email from physical postal services.

As an anagram, Boinc is only 2 letters short of being "bitcoin" I can see how the mistake can be made ;)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

This thread has me all sorts of confused... I read it earlier and was confused.. I come back and I'm still confused lol

Does the OP want to use his soon to be dedicated hardware in an attempt to advance scientific discoveries for various organizations?

Or is he looking to advance the global economy and help move away from reliance on the slow, high fee, archaic central banking system?

Of course power efficiency and running costs are a concern for both, but unless we know exactly what you intend to do, it's hard to recommend anything outside of a platinum rated PSU.

This section on the forum covers three individual things.

Folding at home is a process of simulating proteins and how they fold to help advance science. It is however closed source and the project of a single university (stanford) Non-profit

Boinc is similar to folding in that it runs simulations, however I found it's more "open", and covers different areas of discovery along with different diseases. It's the project of a single university as well (berkeley) Non-profit

"Coin mining" covers all bases of cryptocurrencies from Litecoin to Bitcoin and beyond. With the acts of acquiring, using, spending, speculating or just general hording. It is fully open source and entirely different from the above. It looks towards a free, equal, and seamless exchange of value anywhere in the world outside the control of governments. Profit.. sort of, it's helping to build the foundation an amazing new protocol for transferring value in a similar comparison of Email from physical postal services.

As an anagram, Boinc is only 2 letters short of being "bitcoin" I can see how the mistake can be made ;)

"use his soon to be dedicated hardware in an attempt to advance scientific discoveries for various organizations" i'm on the science side :P, was never really that interested in coin mining, thus i never mentioned it in my thread :P the other posters are the ones who started a mining discussion, i honestly don't think folding is nearly as helpfull or clever as people seem to think but im sure they are getting useful information from it nonetheless, im mostly looking into getting the most folding done per wattage drawn, and or possibly boinc.

not sure if this clarified anything, but atleast i hope it did.

As @warmon6 says, 2P and 4P folders are the most power efficient and best bang for the buck. Even more so if you can find used gear and use existing gear. Depending on where you place gear, you don't even need a case for the folding system - lot of times better without for air flow.

Check my 4P build log for some ideas.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

As @warmon6 says, 2P and 4P folders are the most power efficient and best bang for the buck. Even more so if you can find used gear and use existing gear. Depending on where you place gear, you don't even need a case for the folding system - lot of times better without for air flow.

Check my 4P build log for some ideas.

thanks, was doubting abit but i guess this settles it, the most important thing for me is power drawn to performance ratio, not cost efficiency though it is ofcourse always a big bonus i would prefer not spending stupidly excessive ammounts of money..., i also really wanted to make a 4p system as i think they are awesome :P.

it will probably demand abit more reading and research than i expected to find out exactly what parts i want, not to mention actually managing to acquire the hardware, but your build log will be a great help, thanks.

thanks, was doubting abit but i guess this settles it, the most important thing for me is power drawn to performance ratio, not cost efficiency though it is ofcourse always a big bonus i would prefer not spending stupidly excessive ammounts of money..., i also really wanted to make a 4p system as i think they are awesome :P.

it will probably demand abit more reading and research than i expected to find out exactly what parts i want, not to mention actually managing to acquire the hardware, but your build log will be a great help, thanks.

If you have questions, ask away :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

If you have questions, ask away :)

hehe, thanks... well if i have any questions .. is there any questions i don't have .. it's the motherboard and cpu's that is the biggest hurde, once im past that i can figure out the rest myself i'm not really that familiar with server grade hardware, possibly looking for a prosessor with a HE suffix?.

the biggest hurdle will be finding the optimal prosessor and actually managing to acquire it .. from what i have seen so far my options are keeping an eye out for good deals on ebay or trying to buy it used from someone else, i am only going to make 1 of these, so i want to do it properly the first time, landing around  the 200k or 300k ppd area would be nice but i guess that is going to be very expensive. I am reading as much as i can but i only have a couple hours a day to do so alongside work.

just need to be able to sort out the motherboard and prosessor and how to actually get a hold of them, compared to those the rest is easy to sort out :P

i would ask you for advice but, from what i can see you have already written most of the tips/guidelines and sources in your build log.

no boinc is seperate from bitcoin mining. boinc is the same principle as folding, i.e. dedicating your processing power in a network, but you do it for different causes and simulate different things.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

hehe, thanks... well if i have any questions .. is there any questions i don't have .. it's the motherboard and cpu's that is the biggest hurde, once im past that i can figure out the rest myself i'm not really that familiar with server grade hardware, possibly looking for a prosessor with a HE suffix?.

the biggest hurdle will be finding the optimal prosessor and actually managing to acquire it .. from what i have seen so far my options are keeping an eye out for good deals on ebay or trying to buy it used from someone else, i am only going to make 1 of these, so i want to do it properly the first time, landing around  the 200k or 300k ppd area would be nice but i guess that is going to be very expensive. I am reading as much as i can but i only have a couple hours a day to do so alongside work.

just need to be able to sort out the motherboard and prosessor and how to actually get a hold of them, compared to those the rest is easy to sort out :P

i would ask you for advice but, from what i can see you have already written most of the tips/guidelines and sources in your build log.

FYI - for 200K plus, you want to look at a newer gen, 6000 series AMD CPU. HE chips means High Efficiency - draw less watts.

FYI - for 200K plus, you want to look at a newer gen, 6000 series AMD CPU. HE chips means High Efficiency - draw less watts.

which is why im having such a dammned hard time with the hardware :P have found a couple of seemingly frigging amazing deals, but i have yet to decide exactly what cpus i should look for, i am having a hard time finding anything that actually gives me some good insight on the performance of the various cpus in the 6000 series, currently looking at a deal on used 6180 SE or 6174 cpu's but once again .. having a hard time finding an indication on performance, not to mention performance versus power draw.

which is why im having such a dammned hard time with the hardware :P have found a couple of seemingly frigging amazing deals, but i have yet to decide exactly what cpus i should look for, i am having a hard time finding anything that actually gives me some good insight on the performance of the various cpus in the 6000 series, currently looking at a deal on used 6180 SE or 6174 cpu's but once again .. having a hard time finding an indication on performance, not to mention performance versus power draw.

Any numbers you did find would be arbitrary as well. Remember, two seemingly similar systems can yield very different PPD based on some minor factors. A decent 6000 series 4P unit will yeild say 200K, for a low end 24 core unit on a "hard" project, to upwards of 500k with better CPUs and the faster WU's.

Just build/look for something in your budget and go with that. Of course, get the best CPU's you can, but you will be happy with most any.