What's the best solution for an additional GPU cooling?

tywyllarglwydd

Obviously, watercooling is the best way to keep my GPU cool, but is it possible to lower its temperatures by air cooling?

2 minutes ago, tywyllarglwydd said:

Obviously, watercooling is the best way to keep my GPU cool, but is it possible to lower its temperatures by air cooling?

Space the gpus apart as much as you can and have good airflow.

Yeah, there are aftermarket air coolers you can buy for graphics cards. The Arctic Accelero Extreme line, for example. It's a huge upgrade over eg. an R9 290 reference cooler. Water cooling might be considered a more elegant solution, and perhaps hits better temperatures, but the air cooling is still typically cheaper and a tad quieter.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Yeah, there are aftermarket air coolers you can buy for graphics cards. The Arctic Accelero Extreme line, for example. It's a huge upgrade over eg. an R9 290 reference cooler. Water cooling might be considered a more elegant solution, and perhaps hits better temperatures, but the air cooling is still typically cheaper and a tad quieter.

To be fair, most things are a huge upgrade over the 290 ref. cooler.

Make sure the case is bringing ambient air to the gpu and that the gpu has a clear exhaust route.  Basically try to picture the route that air will take to your gpu, through your gpu, and out of your gpu.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes look at this vid

That's the face of a madman

I always wondered if the VRM's would stay cool enough if you did something like that as a long term solution.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Got two noctuas attached to this thing:

http://gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=13&id=109

When I get a new graphics card, I take off the original fans and use just the headsink.

This like I dont lose warranty as I would if I would replace the whole heatsink.

Much cooler and whisper quite.

Yes I use a testbench as my case. :)

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Well if you put on heatsinks and direct some airflow at them, I don't see why they wont hold up

Definitely, but my curiosity is about using no heatsinks on the VRM's.  After removing some Nvidia reference coolers, I've noticed that nothing more than a little thermal pad is on the VRM's.  It makes me wonder if they even need any cooling to work(just to work normally, not get better performance).

Best and cheapest way to lower the temperature of and the noise your gpu makes is by changing the paste with metalpaste. It can give you 18k lower temps (and lower fanspeeds).

I dislike watercooling in general. Watercooling gives you the possibility to almost fully delete the heat and airflow the gpu makes from the system. In small spaces this seems like a good idea but else it is not really needed. The difference in performancegains is not that big as the difference in cost because the liquid eventually has to be cooled by the same air. Watercooling looks cool, that is the main reason why i would install it over a topnotch aircooler.

15 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Best and cheapest way to lower the temperature of and the noise your gpu makes is by changing the paste with metalpaste. It can give you 18k lower temps (and lower fanspeeds).

I dislike watercooling in general. Watercooling gives you the possibility to almost fully delete the heat and airflow the gpu makes from the system. In small spaces this seems like a good idea but else it is not really needed. The difference in performancegains is not that big as the difference in cost because the liquid eventually has to be cooled by the same air. Watercooling looks cool, that is the main reason why i would install it over a topnotch aircooler.

I disagree, water is much much more efficient at heat transfer, and then once the liquid reaches the radiator, there is a huge amount of surface area for heat transfer to occur. It's not just about looks.

My Watercooled 980Ti stays below 45 with a balls to the wall overclock with as much voltage as possible. On air, my temps would be doubled

20 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

I disagree, water is much much more efficient at heat transfer, and then once the liquid reaches the radiator, there is a huge amount of surface area for heat transfer to occur. It's not just about looks.

My Watercooled 980Ti stays below 45 with a balls to the wall overclock with as much voltage as possible. On air, my temps would be doubled

1) How much more fps are you getting and how much more did it cost? minimum fps is the best benchmark afaik.

2) You probably used new high performance paste too so you can deduct that from your tempresults. Your watercoolingkit-effect is about 63 degrees, the last 18k degrees is probably paste-effect, else it is not a fair comparison. Even if you add the paste effect to your results, the gains would still not out-way the cost. I can buy a high performance paste for $10,-- and shave 18k off with almost any standard aircooler. The biggest influence liquidcooling has is on other parts in the case because it transfers out the heat before it affects other components too, but the effect on the gpu itself exists but the gains do certainly not outway the cost (paying gold for peanuts).

Kraken G10 30$

Kraken X31 80$

Cheaper that buying entire custom water cooling loop xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Yes look at this vid

That's the face of a madman

Imagine that kind of cooling system with fan on each side of that CPU cooler xD

But you need kinda big case to fit that monster.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Cutting a big ass hole in ur side window and adding a fan like this ! 

Drop my temps by 19 degrees on my top card. Cost the price of one fan 

image.jpeg

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

2 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

1) How much more fps are you getting and how much more did it cost? minimum fps is the best benchmark afaik.

2) You probably used new high performance paste too so you can deduct that from your tempresults. Your watercoolingkit-effect is about 63 degrees, the last 18k degrees is probably paste-effect, else it is not a fair comparison. Even if you add the paste effect to your results, the gains would still not out-way the cost. I can buy a high performance paste for $10,-- and shave 18k off with almost any standard aircooler. The biggest influence liquidcooling has is on other parts in the case because it transfers out the heat before it affects other components too, but the effect on the gpu itself exists but the gains do certainly not outway the cost (paying gold for peanuts).

I get a higher stable overclock due to the lower temps. I'm not sure how much more fps I'm getting, because the card came watercooled. Also just asking 'how much more fps are you getting" is an extremely broad statement, you have to take into account what games/benchmarks, clock speeds, ect...

A EVGA 980Ti is about $625 for a cheaper, non-watercooled model, I paid just around $700, so approximately $75.

I get MUCH higher clock speeds than other are reporting with a non-watercooled 980Ti, I have lower temps, less noise and it looks better. Well worth the extra $75.

2 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

I get a higher stable overclock due to the lower temps. I'm not sure how much more fps I'm getting, because the card came watercooled. Also just asking 'how much more fps are you getting" is an extremely broad statement, you have to take into account what games/benchmarks, clock speeds, ect...

A EVGA 980Ti is about $625 for a cheaper, non-watercooled model, I paid just around $700, so approximately $75.

I get MUCH higher clock speeds than other are reporting with a non-watercooled 980Ti, I have lower temps, less noise and it looks better. Well worth the extra $75.

I do not care about benchmarks, my benchmark is "minimum fps", that is how i measure that a game is playable on certain settings.

5 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

I do not care about benchmarks, my benchmark is "minimum fps", that is how i measure that a game is playable on certain settings.

That's cool. My point still stands, enthusiasts don't always go with the most cost effective solution. Otherwise no one would buy the Titan X, 5960X, AX1500i, ect..