4 GPUs in a Corsair 750D?

Sebastian

I building a computer for work to run simulations on, and since the software we use is designed to use CUDA, we want to cram as many GPUs in as possible. As the resident Computer nerd, I volunteered to design and build it. Since we're more interested in bang-for-buck, I'm opting for four GTX 970s rather than the highest end cards (or Teslas, for that matter). When it comes to choosing the case, however, I really want to be sure that it will actually have space for four GPUs. I previously built a 3-GPU system for the same purpose, and discovered too late that it had one expansion slot too few, forcing me to do some creative modding. I'd rather not repeat that.

I'm looking at Corsair's 750D Airflow Edition. Corsair doesn't advertise it as being capable of 4 GPUs, but it DOES have 9 expansion slots, which should be enough as far as I can tell. I haven't managed to find any blogs or forums online where somebody has used this specific case with 4 GPUs, but I found one where they used the Graphite 760T, which appears to be very similar. What do you guys think?

Also, what are your opinions on reference 970s vs something like an MSI Gaming or Gigabyte G1 Gaming? 

it should have more than enough room for 4 gpu's

and for the gpu's if you arent water cooling then id go with an aftermarket cooler for all the cooling performance you can get

it should work. but other question: wouldn't there be more performance with 2 (or maybe 3) 980ti? more vram, more cuda cores?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

12 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

I building a computer for work to run simulations on, and since the software we use is designed to use CUDA.

What software is this? Do any similar builds exist?

51 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

it should work. but other question: wouldn't there be more performance with 2 (or maybe 3) 980ti? more vram, more cuda cores?

Well my original goal was maximizing performance per dollar, but I double checked prices and found an MSI GTX 980 Ti gaming for less than double the price of the cheapest GTX 970 I'd found previously. The extra 2 GB of memory will definitely be useful for us as well. Perk of having special purchasing arrangements between the university and retailers I guess. Time to go convince my boss that four 980 Tis are worth it!

56 minutes ago, Basic said:

What software is this? Do any similar builds exist?

The software is called Mumax3. It's designed for simulating magnetism in micro- and nano-structured materials. And we've already been using it for a while. We've got a a computer with a 780 and a 970, plus another computer with two Titan Blacks, but with the number of people using the software, we still have people pretty much constantly waiting in line. So basically this build is more because we know it works well and want to add more GPUs to the cluster to take some load off of the others that we already have.

7 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Well my original goal was maximizing performance per dollar, but I double checked prices and found an MSI GTX 980 Ti gaming for less than double the price of the cheapest GTX 970 I'd found previously. The extra 2 GB of memory will definitely be useful for us as well. Perk of having special purchasing arrangements between the university and retailers I guess. Time to go convince my boss that four 980 Tis are worth it!

The software is called Mumax3. It's designed for simulating magnetism in micro- and nano-structured materials. And we've already been using it for a while. We've got a a computer with a 780 and a 970, plus another computer with two Titan Blacks, but with the number of people using the software, we still have people pretty much constantly waiting in line. So basically this build is more because we know it works well and want to add more GPUs to the cluster to take some load off of the others that we already have.

sounds pretty interesting what you are doing :) 

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC