Choosing 500W TDP (+ overhead for OC) PSU

maremp

I'm building a hackintosh + gaming pc with around 500W TDP + some OC for 6700K and maaaybe the 980ti.

I was thinking about Corsair RM750i, just because it's only 6€ more than the 650W version, so why not. RMi over RMx because of superior fan quality and because the Corsair link functionality sounds nice, although I'll only have the software available when booted into windows (gaming), since it doesn't work on os x and since I don't intend to do a lot of gaming, I won't be able to use it a lot.

• Is the RMi worth 20% over RMx if I probably won't be utilizing its main distinction most of the time?
  • Should I consider about upgrading to HX750i at 30€ (+20% of current price) more?
  • Do you have other recommendations?

Note: The store where I'm buying from doesn't sell any EVGA products. I could order the psu extra from amazon, but the extra shipping cost doesn't add any savings compared to other options.

6 minutes ago, maremp said:

I'm building a hackintosh + gaming pc with around 500W TDP + some OC for 6700K and maaaybe the 980ti.

I was thinking about Corsair RM750i, just because it's only 6€ more than the 650W version, so why not. RMi over RMx because of superior fan quality and because the Corsair link functionality sounds nice, although I'll only have the software available when booted into windows (gaming), since it doesn't work on os x and since I don't intend to do a lot of gaming, I won't be able to use it a lot.

• Is the RMi worth 20% over RMx if I probably won't be utilizing its main distinction most of the time?
  • Should I consider about upgrading to HX750i at 30€ (+20% of current price) more?
  • Do you have other recommendations?

Note: The store where I'm buying from doesn't sell any EVGA products. I could order the psu extra from amazon, but the extra shipping cost doesn't add any savings compared to other options.

I don't know if you care about the fan differences, but technically the fan is better in the RMi. It's not drastically different (rifle vs fluid dynamic) but it's worth considering the RMi for. If you have no plans to use the Link functionality then just get the RMx.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

@STRMfrmXMN He could help you. 

Funny thing, this text started as a PM to him, but I decided to make it a topic so others can share their opinion also :) 

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I don't know if you care about the fan differences, but technically the fan is better in the RMi. It's not drastically different (rifle vs fluid dynamic) but it's worth considering the RMi for. If you have no plans to use the Link functionality then just get the RMx.

I assumed that Link isn't supported for os x, since I couldn't find any info on the support and therefore won't work on the hackintosh part of my build. But I would love if someone with more experience could confirm this.

What difference can I expect in the fan? I'm also concerned about the noise, is there a noticable difference in this aspect.

What about opting for a platinum HXi series, does it provide any noticeable differences, other than extra efficiency? From my calculations, I would save the extra 3€/year compared to gold, but I have fixed cost for electricity in my flat, so this doesn't actually change anything. 

11 minutes ago, maremp said:

I assumed that Link isn't supported for os x, since I couldn't find any info on the support and therefore won't work on the hackintosh part of my build. But I would love if someone with more experience could confirm this.

What difference can I expect in the fan? I'm also concerned about the noise, is there a noticable difference in this aspect.

What about opting for a platinum HXi series, does it provide any noticeable differences, other than extra efficiency? From my calculations, I would save the extra 3€/year compared to gold, but I have fixed cost for electricity in my flat, so this doesn't actually change anything. 

Link does not work with OSX.

The fan will be about the same but might last a little less in the longer run. No real noise difference but rifles get loud as hell when they're dying.

HXi is just worse value really. Slightly better PSU but not worth the extra money.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, maremp said:

Hope you don't plan on running that 980ti with a 1080p display

Otherwise overclocking isn't going to be worth it for gaming, the 6700 already turbos to 4ghz

Also a hackintosh is going to be a waste of time/effort and it highly limits your hardware choices, you could always just run linux and make it function the same as OSX

and far as your choice goes, just get whatever's cheaper, or look for something from seasonic, or xfx

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Hope you don't plan on running that 980ti with a 1080p display

Otherwise overclocking isn't going to be worth it for gaming, the 6700 already turbos to 4ghz

Also a hackintosh is going to be a waste of time/effort and it highly limits your hardware choices, you could always just run linux and make it function the same as OSX

and far as your choice goes, just get whatever's cheaper, or look for something from seasonic, or xfx

Of course not, I don't know why this is even mentioned, I haven't said anything like that.

I've said I'm not going to do a lot of gaming, the cpu choice is for other tasks I'm going to perform. 

What? Where did you get the idea that linux could work the same as os x? Did you actually ever try comparing the two? The only common thing is same *NIX base, but it's missing the more important mark, working apps and not having to jump through all the hoops to make something work. I had been using linux for almost 4 years before making the switch to os x and when I did, there's a world of difference. For me, os x over linux is so much better that it's worth the extra time and money to make it work with hackintosh. I have read about it and my build should be supported, there are success reports and even guides with the same configuration as mine.  

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look at their models.