Minecraft Server IP Setup Help

Speedyv
Go to solution Solved by mikat,
6 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5.png?1356845725

Windows8-TCPIP6-NetworkProperties.png

5.png

I have set up and portforwarded a MC server on my computer. The server runs and I can join via localhost/ipv4.

However, my public ip is a huge string of numbers and letters in the form of: XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX (ipv6?)

So, I don't have a public IP to give my friends.... How can I make it work?

System: Thinkpad T460

There are sites that can show you your IPv4.

Byte

3 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

I have set up and portforwarded a MC server on my computer. The server runs and I can join via localhost/ipv4.

However, my public ip is a huge string of numbers and letters in the form of: XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX (ipv6?)

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

You can google 'what is my ip' or use a website like this one: http://icanhazip.com/ to find your public ipv4 address.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

3 hours ago, Speedyv said:

Gives me my ipv6

Yay! Isn't ipv6 fun!

The thing about either the IPv6 or IPv4 is just the different numbers so to my understanding give them this IP and see if it works.

If it doesn't then go use a free service called dyndns which will keep up with your current IP whenever it changes and also give a nice domain name with a .xxx at the end.

Go google how to use DYNDNS or a source like that but it is pretty simple and self explanatory. Good luck and I am here to help.

http://ip4.me

It's highly unlikely you only have IPv6 from your ISP. It's possible that your computer has IPv4 incorrectly configured.

Byte

4 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

Gives me my ipv6

According to this, you probably got assigned an ipv6 address by your ISP. You can powercyle (unplug for 5 to 24 hours) your router (or modem) and hope that you get an ipv4 address or possibly disable ipv6 in your router's interface.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

OP, what OS are you running?

Win 10 Pro 64-bit

System: Thinkpad T460

3 hours ago, Vezzeract said:

Yay! Isn't ipv6 fun!

The thing about either the IPv6 or IPv4 is just the different numbers so to my understanding give them this IP and see if it works.

If it doesn't then go use a free service called dyndns which will keep up with your current IP whenever it changes and also give a nice domain name with a .xxx at the end.

Go google how to use DYNDNS or a source like that but it is pretty simple and self explanatory. Good luck and I am here to help.

Or this....

I do not know much about Minecraft Servers and IPv6 and IPv4 working in that type of environment but try it out and see if either DYNDNS works or the IP does.

https://www.ipchicken.com

This should give you the right IP address to give to your friends. Also while you're at it, set your IP to static since its a hassle to give your friends new IPs every time it changes.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

34 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

Find your IPV4 address then give it to them.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W