Building my first pc (kind of)

who660

Hello all! This is my first time actually putting a computer together on my own, so i'm not sure if i have everything in order. The first thing that i did was went to pcpartpicker and simply put in everything that i have as of now (minus the ram, mouse, keyboard, and cpu cooler, i simply added those to fill the gap in since what i have currently isn't on that website). What i'm actually looking to do is make sure that the motherboard and processor is compatible with the case, graphics card, and power supply that i currently have with me. I'm having to buy a new cpu and board simply because my old inspiron 660 had an 1155 socket processor and micro atx board that doesnt have pci 3 (at least that's what best buy tech support told me :P). Any help or input on what i should do or if anything needs changed would be great! 

PCPARTPICKER- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tTPhnQ

You don't need that expensive of a MOBO. You can totally find one for under $150 that'll be just fine.

Also, I'd recommend 16 gigs of ram.

Over than that, looks pretty good.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Wonderful thing about pcpartpicker, it tells you that everything is compatible. As far as your mobo and case being compatible, as long as your case is big enough, it's compatible (for the most part). I looked, yours are. I also don't SEE there being any problems with your GPU, but I don't have the 960, so someone that does would probably be better off saying whether or not it will work. I'm pretty sure you can look up dimensions of the case though, and compare that with the dimensions of the GPU, to determine if it will fit. If nothing else, you could get the case first, and measure it before you buy the GPU.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

4 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

You can totally find one for under $150

What brand of motherboard would you recommend? does gigabyte have any good ones for around that price range?

Skylake is already out, you would be better off with a i5 6600k which is faster and not much pricer. 

The R9 380X is a better alternative at this price since it easily beats the 960 with a good processor.

Your spending a lot on the motherboard, just get a board around 120-140 and your good to go. 

Get a SSD, makes a big difference in boot times.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Wonderful thing about pcpartpicker, it tells you that everything is compatible.

I didn't know if that accuracy of the compatibility would be spot on so i thought it would be best to ask first before i do anything

4 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

I'm pretty sure you can look up dimensions of the case though, and compare that with the dimensions of the GPU, to determine if it will fit. If nothing else, you could get the case first, and measure it before you buy the GPU.

The NZXT Phantom is a relatively large case, pretty much every standard GPU will fit

4 minutes ago, Wastelander40 said:

What brand of motherboard would you recommend? does gigabyte have any good ones for around that price range?

This one looks pretty good:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97anniversary

And like Castdeath mentioned an SSD would be a good investment if you have room in your budget

I'd recommend a 250 GB or higher capacity SSD.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

5 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

just get a board around 120-140

Are 1151 socket types really that cheap?!

Just now, Wastelander40 said:

Are 1151 socket types really that cheap?!

Yes

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=30&c=110&l=2&X=10000,13000

Pascal laptops guide

You are wasting too much money on the K series CPU and a Z97 class motherboard, unless you REALLY want to overclock.

I wouldn't recommend CPU overclocking with a Hyper 212.

I would go with a Caviar Black instead of Blue,

The GTX 960 is way to weak of a GPU to pair with a 4690K. I would pick the R9 390.

I would be cautious buying an EVGA 100 series PSU. Especially when you are overclocking.

This is my high-end PC part list, for reference: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZkjP6

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

5 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

The NZXT Phantom is a relatively large case, pretty much every standard GPU will fit

This one looks pretty good:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97anniversary

And like Castdeath mentioned an SSD would be a good investment if you have room in your budget

I'd recommend a 250 GB or higher capacity SSD.

that mobo is lga 1150 not 1151

4 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

You are wasting too much money on the K series CPU and a Z97 class motherboard

So should i go with what castdeath97 said and go for a skylake processor and motherboard?

5 minutes ago, Tac127 said:

that mobo is lga 1150 not 1151

HPWebcamAble was suggesting a 1150 socket to me, he didnt say that on accident :P

I just want to throw out one note...if you're willing to wait, Zen and Polaris are about to be released...and I'm pretty sure Intel has a new architecture coming out this year.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

8 minutes ago, Wastelander40 said:

I didn't know if that accuracy of the compatibility would be spot on so i thought it would be best to ask first before i do anything

Very good thought. As good as pcpartpicker is, it does have the occasional error. Also, there are some compatibility checks it is not able to do. Such as the fact that RipjawsX memory modules will not fit under the Hyper 212 EVO fan in its normal mounting position. Not a big deal as there are work arounds. But a lower profile memory kit would eliminate the problem altogether.

It would be useful if the parts already owned were marked as such on the partpicker list. This can be done by clicking on the gear just to the left of the Buy button on each line. There is a checkbox for already purchased.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, Wastelander40 said:

So should i go with what castdeath97 said and go for a skylake processor and motherboard?

HPWebcamAble was suggesting a 1150 socket to me, he didnt say that on accident :P

You can go for a skylake i5 6500 and a B150 board as well if you are willing to sacrifice CPU power for more graphics for games.

Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, brob said:

It would be useful if the parts already owned were marked as such on the partpicker list. This can be done by clicking on the gear just to the left of the Buy button on each line. There is a checkbox for already purchased.

My apologies for not including that before... this is my first time doing this, sorry! will update it asap

3 minutes ago, Wastelander40 said:

A Skylake i5 6500 would do you just fine.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

7 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

A Skylake i5 6500 would do you just fine.

Awesome stuff! I'll look into that instead

Is there anyway to close this thread or should i keep it open to further suggestions?

Just now, Wastelander40 said:

Is there anyway to close this thread or should i keep it open to further suggestions?

You don't want further suggestions?

2 minutes ago, brob said:

You don't want further suggestions?

That's what i was asking, i didn't know if i should close this or keep it open. I've never done this before so i'm not sure if it's bad to keep it open :$

11 minutes ago, Wastelander40 said:

That's what i was asking, i didn't know if i should close this or keep it open. I've never done this before so i'm not sure if it's bad to keep it open :$

Not bad to let it stay open.

Something new came up when looking for 1151 socket motherboards... It says that they don't take ddr3 ram... so what would be some suggestions for ddr4? Also what major companies make that kind?

3 minutes ago, Wastelander40 said:

Something new came up when looking for 1151 socket motherboards... It says that they don't take ddr3 ram... so what would be some suggestions for ddr4? Also what major companies make that kind?

There are LGA1151 motherboards that take ddr3. See http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#L=3&s=30&sort=a8&page=1

All major memory brands have DDR4 kits - G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, et.al.