1st gaming build.

IceForPvM

Hey all, I was just wondering if I could get any recommendations on changes or even improvements on my first build, pricing is in AUD and my budget is roughly 2.5k and it's mainly for a heavy gaming build like playing mmorpgs and high end games like Witcher 3 I personally am not too sure about the graphics card so would appreciate input. 

Motherboard -ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha - $499 AUD.

CPU -Intel core i7 6700 - $458

RAM -Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13R 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Red – $129

Graphic Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce OC 4GB – $499

PSU - Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Modular Power Supply – $439 (paying extra for future upgrades to the system)

SSD/HDD - Kingston 240gb SSD - $105 3TB Seagate barracuda - $135

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Mid tower - $109.

OS - Windows 10

Change your gpu to a r9 390 if you want better preformance.

1200 Watts is too overkill even for sli 390's or 970's and a single 980 ti is much better imo

Get a Crucial (MX,BX) or Samsung EVO's SSD, Thoes Kingston's cheap does not = good

I made a PCPartPicker list for you. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fQfRjX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fQfRjX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1322.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 13:36 EDT-0400

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

This is what I would recommend for a high end gaming PC.

The prices are in CAD with 13% tax included:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($302.10 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($47.85 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($180.78 @ NCIX)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.58 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($75.42 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($485.99 @ shopRBC)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($149.77 @ shopRBC)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($143.18 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1446.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 13:40 EDT-0400

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I would not spend as much on the motherboard or psu and more on the gpu and storage. An unlocked i7 is a bit much, but it will provide for a long lived build. Note, the list is from au.pcpartpicker.com in AUD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($514.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($195.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($259.00 @ IJK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($125.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($132.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($579.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($255.00 @ IJK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($139.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $2436.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-21 05:10 AEDT+1100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

8 minutes ago, brob said:

I would not spend as much on the motherboard or psu and more on the gpu and storage. An unlocked i7 is a bit much, but it will provide for a long lived build.

It's not that much if you consider the motherboard comes with built in Wireless AC and Bluetooth 4.2. Other motherboards are around ~50 to 70 CAD less, but they don't have that bundled in.

The i5 will provide for just a long build as the i7. There is not really much difference, unless you can reach high enough OC, and for that you'll need a more expensive Z170 board and a more expensive K series CPU.

I should have picked the WD Black instead of Blue. What was I thinking...

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

It's not that much if you consider the motherboard comes with built in Wireless AC and Bluetooth 4.2. Other motherboards are around ~50 to 70 CAD less, but they don't have that bundled in.

The i5 will provide for just a long build as the i7. There is not really much difference, unless you can reach high enough OC, and for that you'll need a more expensive Z170 board and a more expensive K series CPU.

In Canada, the difference between the Z170-Pro Gaming and Hero VIII Alpha is CAD 198. But the difference between the Z170-Pro Gaming and the Hero VIII Alpha in the OP's home country is > AUD 300.

If an i5 were as powerful as an i7, they would have similar pricing. The i7-6700K is 500MHz, or about 14% faster than the i5-6600K at stock settings. It also has significantly more processing power.

Just now, brob said:

In Canada, the difference between the Z170-Pro Gaming and Hero VIII Alpha is CAD 198. But the difference between the Z170-Pro Gaming and the Hero VIII Alpha in the OP's home country is > AUD 300.

If an i5 were as powerful as an i7, they would have similar pricing. The i7-6700K is 500MHz, or about 14% faster than the i5-6600K at stock settings. It also has significantly more processing power.

Do any of those motherboards have built in WiFi and Bluetooth? Mind you, my motherboard recommendation is an H170 board, and the H170N-WIFI costs 200 AUD. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170nwifi

An extra 14% speed for a 150 USD more is completely un-justifiable in my books. And at the end of the day, CPU performance doesn't matter more than the GPU performance anyway, so you're better off chasing performance per dollar in CPUs rather than raw performance.

33 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

I should have picked the WD Black instead of Blue. What was I thinking...

9 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Do any of those motherboards have built in WiFi and Bluetooth? Mind you, my motherboard recommendation is an H170 board, and the H170N-WIFI costs 200 AUD. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170nwifi

An extra 14% speed for a 150 USD more is completely un-justifiable in my books. And at the end of the day, CPU performance doesn't matter more than the GPU performance anyway, so you're better off chasing performance per dollar in CPUs rather than raw performance.

Which is it?

Regardless, the OP has not indicated a requirement either way on WiFi/Bluetooth.

OP budget is AUD 2.5K. If you feel that is too high, tell the OP, not me.

Just now, brob said:

Which is it?

Regardless, the OP has not indicated a requirement either way on WiFi/Bluetooth.

OP budget is AUD 2.5K. If you feel that is too high, tell the OP, not me.

Other H170 and Z170 motherboards, including the ones you mention.

I didn't need a requirement for WiFi. This is my default recommendation. If OP mentions he doesn't need it, then fair enough, I can suggest an even cheaper H170 motherboard.

Budget is a ceiling for me, not a target. If you can get what you need for less, why bother spending more?

dont get such a pricey psu becuase you could just get a corsair 750w and put in a much nicer gpu