Noctua nh-d15 vs hyper 212 evo

Becausei'mBatman
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
15 hours ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

I bought the NH-D14 for 20eur cheaper, there's not much difference between the d14 and d15 but the people i've asked said the hyper212 fans are goddamm loud af.

Noise is so much personal preference and chassis matter. If you have bare steel case and run 212 fan at full speed, it will be loud. But controlled with software and in good sound damped case like R4/5, its silent as any other.

Just now, Nacho Marco Segui said:

With the D15, your system will be quieter and will run cooler

Yeah, but i am wondering is it worth the price difference, noctua one costs 105eur and hyper is 33eur

3 minutes ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

Yeah, but i am wondering is it worth the price difference, noctua one costs 105eur and hyper is 33eur

That is up to you, if you want to save money get the 212 evo, or the new 212 X, which is better

if there is no overclocking then the stock intel cooler is amost always enough, i would do with a be quiet cooler tho, because silence is the only real benefit in sticking a massive air cooler on a non K CPU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

if there is no overclocking then the stock intel cooler is amost always enough, i would do with a be quiet cooler tho, because silence is the only real benefit in sticking a massive air cooler on a non K CPU

It throttles with the stock cooler, on load it goes well abovd 90C and reaches 100

Hyper would suffice since you won't overclock. But a better alternative is the cryorig h7 since it's more quiet and better at cooling for a small bump in price.

Just now, Becausei'mBatman said:

It throttles with the stock cooler, on load it goes well abovd 90C and reaches 100

That's not normal, did you mess with the pre-applied thermal compound?

Just now, Mirdon said:

That's not normal, did you mess with the pre-applied thermal compound?

Thermal compound is the stock one, no i didn't mess with it or re applied it.

Just now, Becausei'mBatman said:

Thermal compound is the stock one, no i didn't mess with it or re applied it.

Did you mount the cooler correctly and only once? Do you have good airflow? Is the ambient temperature okay?

Going to a tower cooler will make a huge difference over stock. 

The NH-D15 will be cooler and quieter but is complete overkill. The Hyper 212 is cheap and will cool perfectly but it's loud. Also the Hyper 212 mounting hardware is probably the worst I've ever encountered. 

I'd go for a NH-U12S which is best of both worlds.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

9 minutes ago, Mirdon said:

Did you mount the cooler correctly and only once? Do you have good airflow? Is the ambient temperature okay?

I got the parts of the same store and they built everything for me for 8$, i am pretty sure its installed correctly, at decent loads it stays at 70-65C but at 100% is where it starts going overboard, airflow is 1front intake, 1back exhaust 

27 minutes ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

well an I5 is fine with it, anyway go for whatever is the quietest, and the hyper 212 will be just fine if you pick that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

I got the parts of the same store and they built everything for me for 8$, i am pretty sure its installed correctly, at decent loads it stays at 70-65C but at 100% is where it starts going overboard, airflow is 1front intake, 1back exhaust 

While 90C is fine with intel, I see no reason for it to jump that high if everything was done correctly, it just doesn't make sense. But on the bright side, you can now re-apply a new cooler properly.

1 hour ago, Mirdon said:

While 90C is fine with intel, I see no reason for it to jump that high if everything was done correctly, it just doesn't make sense. But on the bright side, you can now re-apply a new cooler properly.

well the store did an awesome job using the features of the case i have, i expected the cables to be all over the place, but they did good cable management and they used used the dust filters in the bottom of the case for the psu, So i don't think the cooler installation is bad, since you can't really mess anything up with a stock cooler, perhaps they applied too little thermal paste 

1 hour ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

Going to a tower cooler will make a huge difference over stock. 

The NH-D15 will be cooler and quieter but is complete overkill. The Hyper 212 is cheap and will cool perfectly but it's loud. Also the Hyper 212 mounting hardware is probably the worst I've ever encountered. 

I'd go for a NH-U12S which is best of both worlds.

NH-U12S isn't available where i live, the nh-d15 isn't either but i considered ordering it off amazon.de, the only good alternative i see is the nh-d14 for 90eur 

4 minutes ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

well the store did an awesome job using the features of the case i have, i expected the cables to be all over the place, but they did good cable management and they used used the dust filters in the bottom of the case for the psu, So i don't think the cooler installation is bad, since you can't really mess anything up with a stock cooler, perhaps they applied too little thermal paste 

That can't be the case since the compound is already pre-applied on the cooler.

2 hours ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

Which one would be better on a i7 4790 non k, will there be a massive difference? 

NH-D15 can compete with many of the 240 and 280mm radiators.

Hyper 212 can barely out-compete a thick 120mm rad

2 hours ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

90-100C underload is a clear indication the cooler wasn't installed properly.  Even a K-version with turbo to 4-core 4.2GHz. It'll "only" reach mid 80's C with the stock cooler..

Evo will be enough. And ofc there's difference. We are talking about 120mm single tower vs 140mm dual tower. D15 would be quieter and cooler. But you don't need that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/20/2016 at 10:55 AM, Becausei'mBatman said:

Yow, what are you running when it throttles?

Either the 212 or the H7 should get you running cool enough, the D15 will be cooler, and a bit quieter at any given load, but at much greater expense.

3 hours ago, ThomasD said:

Yow, what are you running when it throttles?

Either the 212 or the H7 should get you running cool enough, the D15 will be cooler, and a bit quieter at any given load, but at much greater expense.

I bought the NH-D14 for 20eur cheaper, there's not much difference between the d14 and d15 but the people i've asked said the hyper212 fans are goddamm loud af.

15 hours ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

Noise is so much personal preference and chassis matter. If you have bare steel case and run 212 fan at full speed, it will be loud. But controlled with software and in good sound damped case like R4/5, its silent as any other.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Got the nh-d14, benched cpu at full load, doesn't go above 48C