6700K Build plan ...

So  i was going to go on the cheap with a new pc build and such. doing a AMD 860K or something but I decided  I am going to be selling my truck (I have 2 so why keep on with the extra taxes, insurance and license, registration blah blah. ) So now I'm going to do a 6700K build. (and  before anyone goes  on the wait for pascal I am , this is just the planning stage and discussion (and maybe will help someone else' plan for building a mid high end rig. 

For the most part I know what I want 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fRHJvK

Now a note: I'm going to be replacing the Fans on the cooler with Noctua PPC fans. also going to be using The same fans for the case it self which ever case I go for.

Some opinions on a case that is just amazing  for airflow, That is not a cube case, that has enough I/O for my needs(my headset,  game pads Racing wheel,  whatever else I want) has decent fan filters, has to be of high quality construction and not something a teenager would  buy  because it looked cool. (no offense to the  young ones  on here ;))

I was Looking at a few cases ..........

Spoiler

Fractal Define R5 - Fits what I like but at the same time not So sure about optimal  air flow 

Fractal Define S - Love the size but at the same time might be a hot case

Corsair 600C - love the design , Just  not sure id like  my graphics card being upside down ,,, and the thermal dissipation  for the video card location  concerns me 

Corsair 750D airflow edition - this is  so far the one I have considered the most.

Lian Li PC x510 - this one really caught my attention but i cant seem to find it  available in the states. 

and I am open to more suggestions. ..... ( or helping me narrow down which one of the ones i selected)

next question is for the fan controller, i would prefer an internal fan controller but a  drive bay one would work.  this is where I have no clue what is considered to be the good one so  suggestions would be helpful.  I could of course build my own but that takes a blank PCB   tracking down correct resistors blah blah ,, a lot of hassle.

I am probably either not going to overclock , or do a very mild overclock. but I don't anticipate needing  much more of a cooler than the one I picked out. 

I'll probably get noctua's Thermal compound and be satisfied . As this is going to be a build about   balance between  performance and longevity. i wont go crazy on the OC.

I may  get two Graphics cards but right now I'm only planning for one, with  possibility for 2 (why i went with the 860 watt psu)(and I'll stick to nvidia due to a certain game I play that for some reason  has  very few troubles with Nvidia cards compared to AMD) .

thanks in advance for the replies and help,, 

why such loud fans?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The R5/S has good air flow ... personally i have R5 and no problem with airflow. A normal NF14/NF-F12 should be enough airflow ...  

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

The R5/S has good air flow ... personally i have R5 and no problem with airflow. 

yeah i guess  my concerns were the  lack of direct  mesh in the front ,but i guess the side vents  would work just fine so ... that's why its a definite consideration.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

why such loud fans?

I run a floor fan now  and have tinnitus(a constant  ring in my ear) anyway ,,, some fan noise aren't gonna bug me that much , especailly if i regulate the rpms with a decent fan controller. i would prefer more airflow and cooler temps over  quieter fans.

15 minutes ago, Toxicknight79 said:

So  i was going to go on the cheap with a new pc build and such. doing a AMD 860K or something but I decided  I am going to be selling my truck (I have 2 so why keep on with the extra taxes, insurance and license, registration blah blah. ) So now I'm going to do a 6700K build. (and  before anyone goes  on the wait for pascal I am , this is just the planning stage and discussion (and maybe will help someone else' plan for building a mid high end rig. 

For the most part I know what I want 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fRHJvK

Now a note: I'm going to be replacing the Fans on the cooler with Noctua PPC fans. also going to be using The same fans for the case it self which ever case I go for.

Some opinions on a case that is just amazing  for airflow, That is not a cube case, that has enough I/O for my needs(my headset,  game pads Racing wheel,  whatever else I want) has decent fan filters, has to be of high quality construction and not something a teenager would  buy  because it looked cool. (no offense to the  young ones  on here ;))

I was Looking at a few cases ..........

Hide contents

Fractal Define R5 - Fits what I like but at the same time not So sure about optimal  air flow 

Fractal Define S - Love the size but at the same time might be a hot case

Corsair 600C - love the design , Just  not sure id like  my graphics card being upside down ,,, and the thermal dissipation  for the video card location  concerns me 

Corsair 750D airflow edition - this is  so far the one I have considered the most.

Lian Li PC x510 - this one really caught my attention but i cant seem to find it  available in the states. 

and I am open to more suggestions. ..... ( or helping me narrow down which one of the ones i selected)

next question is for the fan controller, i would prefer an internal fan controller but a  drive bay one would work.  this is where I have no clue what is considered to be the good one so  suggestions would be helpful.  I could of course build my own but that takes a blank PCB   tracking down correct resistors blah blah ,, a lot of hassle.

I am probably either not going to overclock , or do a very mild overclock. but I don't anticipate needing  much more of a cooler than the one I picked out. 

I'll probably get noctua's Thermal compound and be satisfied . As this is going to be a build about   balance between  performance and longevity. i wont go crazy on the OC.

I may  get two Graphics cards but right now I'm only planning for one, with  possibility for 2 (why i went with the 860 watt psu)(and I'll stick to nvidia due to a certain game I play that for some reason  has  very few troubles with Nvidia cards compared to AMD) .

thanks in advance for the replies and help,, 

I've got the fractal r5 and the only thing Iv'e noticed, and it's more me being retarded which is the issue, is that if you screw the fan too hard into the case and crack the plastic it's prone to make a tad bit of vibration. Tho again the case is beautiful and the front panel just DOES.NOT.GET.DIRTY

3 minutes ago, Flowey said:

I've got the fractal r5 and the only thing Iv'e noticed, and it's more me being retarded which is the issue, is that if you screw the fan too hard into the case and crack the plastic it's prone to make a tad bit of vibration. Tho again the case is beautiful and the front panel just DOES.NOT.GET.DIRTY

i'll keep that in mind if the R5 is what I go for.

Just now, Toxicknight79 said:

comments:

Spoiler

1) since you're not going to overclock, dont bother getting a 6700k

2) that motherboard is overkill

3) overkill ram, 16gb is enough for gaming for the next 5 years atleast, the 8gb era is just about to end

4) overkill ssd choice for average consumer

5) overkill hard disk choice for average consumer

6) seasonic is great but you can get better psu

my suggestion:

overclockable:

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fMxW23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fMxW23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($213.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($653.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1966.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 19:23 EDT-0400

comments:

Spoiler

cpu cooler: its a bit extreme, but it'll look great, swap it for a cheap air cooler if you dont want it

motherboard: still overkill, but not overpriced like the one you chose, and looks 10x better

ram: yea i went to 16gb

ssd: its good enough

HDD: its good enough, and cheaper too, like, way cheaper

gpu: probably the one you'll pick anyway, change the brand if you dont like it

case: meh i just picked one of my favourite, though my fav is N450 black/red :D

PSU: prepared to go 2 way SLI

non-overclockable:

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BtyQ8d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BtyQ8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1618.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 19:28 EDT-0400

comments:

Spoiler

cpu: an i7 with the price of an i5 :D non-overclockable

cpu cooler: u can use stock but i guess you can toss a 212 evo to make it look better

case: changed to noctis 450 :D change it to your fav case

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Swap the Pro SSD for an Evo, close writing speeds but 100$ difference is just not worth it IMO.

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

comments:

Hide contents

1) since you're not going to overclock, dont bother getting a 6700k

2) that motherboard is overkill

3) overkill ram, 16gb is enough for gaming for the next 5 years atleast, the 8gb era is just about to end

4) overkill ssd choice for average consumer

5) overkill hard disk choice for average consumer

6) seasonic is great but you can get better psu

my suggestion:

overclockable:

Hide contents

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fMxW23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fMxW23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($213.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1966.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 19:23 EDT-0400

comments:

Hide contents

cpu cooler: its a bit extreme, but it'll look great, swap it for a cheap air cooler if you dont want it

motherboard: still overkill, but not overpriced like the one you chose, and looks 10x better

ram: yea i went to 16gb

ssd: its good enough

HDD: its good enough, and cheaper too, like, way cheaper

gpu: probably the one you'll pick anyway, change the brand if you dont like it

case: meh i just picked one of my favourite, though my fav is N450 black/red :D

PSU: prepared to go 2 way SLI

non-overclockable:

Hide contents

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BtyQ8d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BtyQ8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1618.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 19:28 EDT-0400

comments:

Reveal hidden contents

cpu: an i7 with the price of an i5 :D non-overclockable

cpu cooler: u can use stock but i guess you can toss a 212 evo to make it look better

case: changed to noctis 450 :D change it to your fav case

Your suggestions are solid  ,,,,, but Ill explain my  reasoning here. 

6700K for the stock clock and  4 extra threads for rendering in blender , and video editing maybe (without  having to buy a x99 platform  cpu and motherboad ,  

the M.2  Samsung I wanted so  1 i didnt have to dig around for the right place to mount an SSD, 2 the read and write speeds  and 3. the capacity  so i dont accidently fill it up  like made off the get go. 

the 5tb harddrive  is for 1. mp3 music collection (recording , videos i may  render ,  all my games,  this will be partitioned  into 3 main parts according to what task. and not so many drives in the system.

Im avoiding AIO liquid and liquid all together    because even though a lot of people have good  luck , theres that one  chance  liquid could leak, and well the air cooler you don't have that risk. its just a personal preference.

IM a seasonic and corsair   guy, for power supplies ,,, i know someone who has a 10 year old seasonic thats still going strong. so is why i stuck to that. 

The ram again is for Rendering in 3D more than gaming ,, video rendering etc. 

forgot to mention about the motherboard ,,,, I like the sabertooth but I dunno, I love the look of the MSI and I really want to be happy all around with the finished product ,,,  

but again your suggestions were  rock solid I wont argue that. but however you threw in the 980Ti ,, im guessing for price i hope cause Im waiting  for that purchase until The pascals and such come out. 

12 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

Swap the Pro SSD for an Evo, close writing speeds but 100$ difference is just not worth it IMO.

I did some research on the chip quality between the evo and the pro and  seems to me,, and of course i could be imistaken, but  lifespan on the pro  would be  better than the evo, I will consider the suggestion  further though.

i didnt have to dig around for the right place to mount an SSD

buy a case that fits an ssd natively (which is almost every case out there), not a valid point

the read and write speeds

what are you trying to do with your build? gaming? unless you're accessing the drives often, its not even worth the price

the capacity  so i dont accidently fill it up  like made off the get go

i got you a same capacity ssd, so argument invalid (inb4 mine has 12 gb more)

the 5tb harddrive

im not ranting about the capacity, im ranting about the series you chose, same reason as the 950 pro, if you dont need the speed, dont bother spending more than 2x (i got you 6tb storage for almost half the price)

Im avoiding AIO liquid and liquid all together    because even though a lot of people have good  luck , theres that one  chance  liquid could leak, and well the air cooler you don't have that risk. its just a personal preference.

agreed, thats why im using dark rock pro 3 :D

IM a seasonic and corsair   guy

its never good to be a fanboy, but if you must, Corsair's RM or AX series are great, better than seasonic's psu

The ram again is for Rendering in 3D more than gaming ,, video rendering etc.

k valid point, go 32gb then

important to remember: this is your money, so in the end im just giving suggestions, you're pulling the triggers lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 hours ago, Moonzy said:
9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

buy a case that fits an ssd natively (which is almost every case out there), not a valid point

what are you trying to do with your build? gaming? unless you're accessing the drives often, its not even worth the price

i got you a same capacity ssd, so argument invalid (inb4 mine has 12 gb more)

im not ranting about the capacity, im ranting about the series you chose, same reason as the 950 pro, if you dont need the speed, dont bother spending more than 2x (i got you 6tb storage for almost half the price)

agreed, thats why im using dark rock pro 3 :D

its never good to be a fanboy, but if you must, Corsair's RM or AX series are great, better than seasonic's psu

k valid point, go 32gb then

important to remember: this is your money, so in the end im just giving suggestions, you're pulling the triggers lol

((some strange reason I cant fix this quote bug but anyway))....

After So Consideration and *homework on a few things and talking into consideration over the Overkill thing you suggested about some of my choices, I tweaked my parts list a bit. 

Revised Parts List

Decided on using the fans on the cooler I changed my mind about.