Posting parts wrapped in foil

xaaronx

Hi,

So I've sold a bunch of parts, and I don't have any anti-static bags. The first thing that came to mind was why not just use tin foil? As long as there's no internal power source to worry about shorting out (motherboard) then no worries, right? There can't be a potential difference between two points in one giant solid conductor.

So I Google my thought and everyone says no, don't do that, it sounds stupid. A few people here and there point out that it's fine.

I wanted your opinion? Am I missing something obvious? The only issue I see is the receiver has to ensure there's no foil fragments left behind.

I could of course go to a store and try get some used bags for free. But I got like 10 meters of foil in the kitchen draw. xD

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, xaaronx said:

there's no internal power source to worry about shorting out (motherboard)

as far as im concerned, all motherboards have 3v cell battery in it

and even if they dont, the capacitor might still store charges, so its best not to

and even if your motherboard doesnt have charge, static electricity might go through the foil and kill it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

No tin foil, aluminium foil or plastic foil because the first 2 are conductive and the second can be static charged and kill the componnets. So you should use silver bag that the component came in or cardboard box

The reason for using anti static bags is to avoid static electricity.

Tinfoil is basically one large static electricity conductor.

Please do not wrap your electronics in tinfoil, thank you!

Aluminum foil will keep static out because it forms a Faraday cage. But the problem is that it will short things on the board itself. Which is why this is a no go.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

4 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

No tin foil, aluminium foil or plastic foil because the first 2 are conductive and the second can be static charged and kill the componnets. So you should use silver bag that the component came in or cardboard box

But you want a conducting layer around the component. Current can flow around and through the foil if the foil wrapped parts are laying in a box filled with plastic, but it's not going to flow through the component. 

2 minutes ago, NTF5252 said:

Aluminum foil will keep static out because it forms a Faraday cage. But the problem is that it will short things on the board itself. Which is why this is a no go.

Yeah exactly. So for a motherboard you'd want to remove the coincell. I'm specifically mailing RAM though. Thoughts?

Just now, xaaronx said:

But you want a conducting layer around the component. Current can flow around and through the foil if the foil wrapped parts are laying in a box filled with plastic, but it's not going to flow through the component. 

You don't want the component touching tin foil nor aluminium but you could put it in paper and then wrap it in tin or aluminium foil

1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

You don't want the component touching tin foil nor aluminium but you could put it in paper and then wrap it in tin or aluminium foil

I'm pretty sure that's worse. 

Just now, xaaronx said:

Is paper conductive? No so what's wrong about that and if you wrap it in paper and then tin or aluminium foil it cannot short on static charge or conduct anything it comes to it

Just now, xaaronx said:

Yeah exactly. So for a motherboard you'd want to remove the coincell. I'm specifically mailing RAM though. Thoughts?

RAM is ok in normal plastic i think. Seeing how it comes in plastic that doesn't seem anti-static. Between sheets of cardboard aught to be ok.

1 minute ago, xaaronx said:

That's exactly what normal anti-static material is. A layer of vary conductive material on the out side and non-conductive on  the inside.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

2 minutes ago, xaaronx said:

3 minutes ago, SamTheWelshDragon said:

Just use a layer of paper with bubble wrap around it.

I would probably go with what SamTheWelshDragon said just to be on the safe side, nothing to cause static electricity and it would still be safe.

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

1 minute ago, NTF5252 said:

RAM is ok in normal plastic i think. Seeing how it comes in plastic that doesn't seem anti-static. Between sheets of cardboard aught to be ok.

That's exactly what normal anti-static material is. A layer of vary conductive material on the out side and non-conductive on  the inside.

Thanks. I assumed even the plastic bags had like a powdered metal in them and we're conductive on the inside as well. :P

I'll cover them in paper or something and maybe then foil if it's beneficial enough. 

Just now, xaaronx said:

Thanks. I assumed even the plastic bags had like a powdered metal in them and we're conductive on the inside as well. :P

I'll cover them in paper or something and maybe then foil if it's beneficial enough. 

Paper is a bad conductor so you're good. I would just skip foil though, it'll make your package look a bit shady. ;)