Help me find a power bar/surge protector I can plug my pc into

Go to solution Solved by GamerzCentralYT,

I'm looking for a surge protector to plug my pc into. It has an 850 watt power supply and I was wondering what power bar / surge protector I should get. I'm not sure what the specs are for these surge protectors (like this one supports up to 700w and stuff like that) so could someone explain all this to me? Thanks :)

7 minutes ago, DevinK said:

I'm looking for a surge protector to plug my pc into. It has an 850 watt power supply and I was wondering what power bar / surge protector I should get. I'm not sure what the specs are for these surge protectors (like this one supports up to 700w and stuff like that) so could someone explain all this to me? Thanks :)

I didn't know it mattered hehe... I have my computer connected to a power strip. I have a 750w psu with a 980ti.

Main: Gigabyte G1 980Ti, i5 6600k, MSI Z170A M5, 16GB DDR4 2666, NZXT H440, NZXT x61, EVGA 750W G2, Windows 10 

Second PC: EVGA Reference GTX 680, i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3, Corsair 300R, Corsair CX500W, Windows 10

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5750G, GT540M, i7 2630QM, 6GB DDR3, Windows 7 

Just now, Leo_Dahlin said:

I didn't know it mattered hehe... I have my computer connected to a power strip. I have a 750w psu with a 980ti.

I did that killed my stuff.

2 minutes ago, GamerzCentralYT said:

I did that killed my stuff.

But there is power strips that can handle high-end computers?

Main: Gigabyte G1 980Ti, i5 6600k, MSI Z170A M5, 16GB DDR4 2666, NZXT H440, NZXT x61, EVGA 750W G2, Windows 10 

Second PC: EVGA Reference GTX 680, i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3, Corsair 300R, Corsair CX500W, Windows 10

But there is power strips that can handle high-end computers?

If it says that I guess. I would not belive it.

1 minute ago, GamerzCentralYT said:

If it says that I guess. I would not belive it.

I have two outlets near my setup and one is taken up buy a homeplug, the other one by the power strip which is powering two monitors and my computer.

I have two outlets near my setup and one is taken up buy a homeplug, the other one by the power strip which is powering two monitors and my computer.

Well Surge protects are cheap your setup is not. Please save your setup.

2 minutes ago, GamerzCentralYT said:

Well Surge protects are cheap your setup is not. Please save your setup.

I don't really know where i can find surge protectors in Sweden hehe..

Just now, huilun02 said:

If you got the $ to spend, get a good UPS

They double up as surge protectors.

That can protect against power outage as well.

Good tip.

On 3/19/2016 at 10:02 AM, huilun02 said:

If you got the $ to spend, get a good UPS

They double up as surge protectors.

That can protect against power outage as well.

True if one ignores specification numbers.  Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules.  How many joules does that UPS claim to absorb?  Hundreds?  A UPS is a near zero surge protector.  It has just enough joules to claim it does surge protection.  Using that reasoning, tie a knot in the power cord.  That is also a surge protector.

How does a power strip rated at hundreds or thousands joules absorb a surge that is hundreds of thousands of joules?  How does that 2 cm part block what three miles of sky could not?  Again, they are marketing to people who ignore spec numbers - who would be scammed.

Something completely different called a surge protector does claim to protect from destructive surges.  Then hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate harmlessly outside.  Then no surge current is anywhere inside a building.  If that computer needs protection, then everything need protection.  Informed homeowners spend about $1 per protected appliance on a 'whole house' protector.  Then a surge is not inside hunting for earth ground destructively via that computer or anything else.

Near zero power board protector or UPS need protection only possible with a properly earthed 'whole house' protector.  Then protection even from direct lightning strikes exist.  A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.