Custom Loop Help

I am considering placing a full custom Loop for my CPU and GPU, but I would like to ask any questions before going any further. 

1) Is there a way to color plain distilled water in a loop without it gunking up any of the parts or cause algae/bacteria to grow?

2) What is the difference between a D5 and a DDC pump and which would you recommend?

3)Theoretically, is it better to have soft tubing as a first-time watercooling experience or go straight to hardline tubing? Also, what would be an effective method of cutting both tubes? 

4) Will dual 360mm rads that are 60mm thick (without fans installed yet) fit in a Define R5 from Fractal?

5)How many fittings do I need if i plan to use 2 rads, a pump, and a cpu and a gpu block?

Thanks.

1) mayhems dye

you put a few drops and your fluid is coloured

2) d5 is 1000x better

ddc is loud and overheats

3) go soft tubing

way safer

you need tubing cutters or a sharp knife

4) maybe not depending on your motherboard, do with smil rads

there is little temperature difference between thin and thick, and two 360 rads are far more than enough

very overkill

5) depends, if you use a stock D5 then you can just use the right tubing directly on the pump, but if you use a custom pump top then you need two fittings for that too

then 2 fittings for each component

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

39 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) mayhems dye

you put a few drops and your fluid is coloured

I hear thats not officially out yet though. did you get that from Jayz?

21 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

I hear thats not officially out yet though. did you get that from Jayz?

they have existed for years

https://mayhems.co.uk/dyes/

jayztwocents doesnt use dyes, he used pastel fluid

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

they have existed for years

https://mayhems.co.uk/dyes/

jayztwocents doesnt use dyes, he used pastel fluid

no he did a showcase of these and said he wouldn't suggest them because they will eventually clump and they're still working on them. that was only a few months ago.

1. You can use Mayhems dye for the color. You'll probably still want to use some sort of biocide though.

2. D5 pumps tend to be quieter and have higher flow. The heat from the D5 pump is dumped into the loop, but it's probably negligible. DDC pumps have heatsinks to deal with the heat, and they do run hotter. Some of the mounts/housings/tops for the DDC pumps are made of aluminum for this reason. Also, DDC pumps can be louder. They have higher pressure, but less flow. I'd go D5.

3. Soft is easier, but it's really up to your desire for a challenge and general skill level. 

4. It will be very difficult to fit two 60mm 360 radiators in the Define R5, if not impossible. This is two 30mm 360s in a Define S, which is a similar case. In fact, Fractal says two 360s is impossible in the R5, but possible in the Define S. http://support.fractal-design.com/support/solutions/articles/4000037485-define-r5-radiator-compatibility-chart

d22083d4_qhjHaTQ.jpeg

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

4 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

no he did a showcase of these and said he wouldn't suggest them because they will eventually clump and they're still working on them. that was only a few months ago.

pastel is not the same as clear dye

and singularitycomputers has been using them for years with 0 issues

it literally takes like 5 drops to colour the fluid, it will not cause any clumping at all

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

pastel is not the same as clear dye

and singularitycomputers has been using them for years with 0 issues

it literally takes like 5 drops to colour the fluid, it will not cause any clumping at all

I know it isn't. I told you I wasn't talking about the pastels my friend. I'm just saying thats what I remember. I may be wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

I know it isn't. I told you I wasn't talking about the pastels my friend. I'm just saying thats what I remember. I may be wrong. 

Instead of watching jayztwocents, watch singularity computers

way more experienced with watercooling than any of these noob "tech youtubers"

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ArrayInc said:

I am considering placing a full custom Loop for my CPU and GPU, but I would like to ask any questions before going any further. 

1) Is there a way to color plain distilled water in a loop without it gunking up any of the parts or cause algae/bacteria to grow?

2) What is the difference between a D5 and a DDC pump and which would you recommend?

3)Theoretically, is it better to have soft tubing as a first-time watercooling experience or go straight to hardline tubing? Also, what would be an effective method of cutting both tubes? 

Thanks.

Will Mayhem's dye stain the tubing after running for a couple of years in red?

14 hours ago, ArrayInc said:

Will Mayhem's dye stain the tubing after running for a couple of years in red?

Any coloring will tend to stain soft tube over the years if you were to just say change fluids ever so often, as the soft tubing itself does break down or age. The tubing should be changed after a certain amount of time, but as for everything else said it looks good. 

On 3/19/2016 at 8:56 PM, W-L said:

Any coloring will tend to stain soft tube over the years if you were to just say change fluids ever so often, as the soft tubing itself does break down or age. The tubing should be changed after a certain amount of time, but as for everything else said it looks good. 

Would you say the same for hardline and would you recommend hardline tubing for a first timer?

4 minutes ago, ArrayInc said:

Would you say the same for hardline and would you recommend hardline tubing for a first timer?

It's doable for sure, if your fairly handy and know the proper steps but it require more time and patience to get the runs perfectly lined up and straight.