Can I use my old modem (router/modem combo) as a router?

dappy10

Hi there!

I am currently about to switch to XFINITY (yeah many bad things about xfinity but we were able to get a good deal for about the same price at a flat rate)

I was wondering if I could use a ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 as a modem (do not have) and use our old 2Wire 3800HGV-B  as a router?

it depends if xfinity allows you to use your own equipment as some providers want you to buy or rent their equipment, but if you can then you should be fine with the router but I am not sure if the modem is compatible with xfinity 

Most combo modem/router units only have Coax available as the WAN side of the connection. I have not looked at your model. Unless it has an Ethernet WAN port (sometimes labeled Internet, but it will be the same as the coax port) you will not be able to use this unit as a router only.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 3/18/2016 at 10:30 PM, S1lent_5am said:

it depends if xfinity allows you to use your own equipment as some providers want you to buy or rent their equipment, but if you can then you should be fine with the router but I am not sure if the modem is compatible with xfinity 

Xfinity better known as Comcast does allow you to use your own. I have the 6141 modem and it works well. Xfiniti is not that bad at least for internet service. TV service is over priced. As far as the 2wire box is concerned I dont think that will work. As thats a modem router all it one, it doesnt have a WAN port on it, it uses the Coax to connect to the cable network. I know the Motorola modem will work because thats what I have, Im not sure if 2wire is a compatible brand on the Comcast network. I would just buy a good router to go along with that modem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

My ISP (Shaw) gives us those shit modem / router all in one's and all it took was a simple call and they allowed me to bridge it with my own router. Call your ISP and tell them you want to use your own modem so they can enable the bridge. Otherwise they expect you to use their shit box 

8 minutes ago, TechFnatic said:

My ISP (Shaw) gives us those shit modem / router all in one's and all it took was a simple call and they allowed me to bridge it with my own router. Call your ISP and tell them you want to use your own modem so they can enable the bridge. Otherwise they expect you to use their shit box 

That works to make a modem/router into just a modem, it does not work to make such a unit into a router only. To be a router only it has to have an ethernet WAN port.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 20/03/2016 at 1:32 AM, brwainer said:

That works to make a modem/router into just a modem, it does not work to make such a unit into a router only. To be a router only it has to have an ethernet WAN port.

On 20/03/2016 at 1:24 AM, TechFnatic said:

On 19/03/2016 at 7:44 AM, Donut417 said:

Xfinity better known as Comcast does allow you to use your own. I have the 6141 modem and it works well. Xfiniti is not that bad at least for internet service. TV service is over priced. As far as the 2wire box is concerned I dont think that will work. As thats a modem router all it one, it doesnt have a WAN port on it, it uses the Coax to connect to the cable network. I know the Motorola modem will work because thats what I have, Im not sure if 2wire is a compatible brand on the Comcast network. I would just buy a good router to go along with that modem. 

On 18/03/2016 at 7:30 PM, S1lent_5am said:

I just decided to buy a modem + router at Best Buy instead of trying to use my old one. Thanks for replying guys